Sometimes Citigo won't start

scgf

On a few occasions my new Citigo Elegance GreenTech 60PS won't start when I turn the key. All the lights come on on the dash, but the starter motor just doesn't turn. I repeat the process two or three times and it eventually fires up.

Anyone else had this issue? It's making me a little nervous!

I know on my wife's Citigo with it being an ASG Auto I need to turn the key so the dials light up then put my foot on the brake, put it in neutral and then start it.

If I do all of the above quickly then it won't start. Just something to we have got used to.

Not sure if this the case with the manual gearboxes?

I think it's the clutch on manual cars.  Not much chance of that happening on an ASG, so they use the brake.  I've been caught out occasionally if wifey didn't put it in N before switching off the engine..

It does not matter if the ignition is on or off when the clutch is pressed. As long as the clutch pedal is down before trying to start the engine.

Think I've found the problem. The biting point happens when the clutch pedal is half-way down, so I had been tending not to press the pedal fully to the floor. When I do floor it, the engine starts first time from cold.

Interesting. My wife commented that the car wouldn't start the other day. But did after a few tries. I always depress the clutch first as a matter of course. Perhaps she didn't that time. I'll let her know...

• 1 year later...

I'm having this increasingly more often. My citigo is a driving school car so takes lots of abuse plus stalls a lot so the keys are often turned off/on in quick succession. Recently after a pupil stalls and they turn off the keys then on again all the dashboard lights come on but can't get engine on. After repeating 2/3 times it eventually "clicks" and goes on. It's not ideal and adds more stress to the pupil in a stressful situation so I'd like to get it fixed. Any ideas what I should do? I like my car to be perfect for pupils so want anything faulty replaced