Bonnet wrap

Just wrapping individual panels is a bit 'Halfords' for me.

Do the whole car or nothing at all.

Some pictures of the car and spoiler in its current state would help generate more debate!

Thanks.

Don't know if you can see, but that's just plain matt black in the early stages of my full wrap project that I undertook.

You'll need approx 1520mm x 2000mm to do the job I'd have thought.

It's not too hard to do the bonnet, just make sure you have someone handy to help you :)

Ebay?? You'll probably be sent something horrid to work with, ill give you a few tips.

First, environment, you need to be somewhere warm, if its too cold it will shatter, like perforated paper.

Second, trim away excess vinyl that you don't need, ie the side of the bonnet where they taper to the grill, you don't need material in your way.

Third, work from you windscreen to you grill, top to bottom.

Fourth, when applying the vinyl, work from the centre out, so between 2 people, one either side of the bonnet, remove about 12" of backing paper and fold it back on its self, under the vinyl, with the open edge of the vinyl, stick this to the top edge of your bonnet, then from the centre of your bonnet work the vinyl down, in stripes towards you, go to the other side, and do the same, this way you will be taking gather toward the edge as opposed towards the centre.

Fifth, if your not confident at working with large sheets of vinyl, work 12" or so at a tine and keep repeating the above, work from the centre out, remove the backing as your going.

6, if you do this right, you will not need ANY heat to apply the vinyl to the main body of the bonnet, this way you wont affect the pattern and pull the weave out of shape, leave the sides till last.

7, once your happy the full bonnet is applied, lift the sides so you can pop your bonnet to take the material to the underside. Be very carefully as the carbon can rip very very easily...

8, you will need to use heat to work the material around the tight corners of your bonnet, if your going to cut and over lap these areas, try to do it away from the top edge otherwise you will see it, carbon vinyl doesn't take to carbon vinyl very well so overlapping/patching isn't recommended.

9, you want to try and take the vinyl about 10mm or so under the bonnet, this will give the vinyl a good foot print for not pulling back when it get hot.

And finally, the most important part, re heating tight areas, a cast vinyl has a memory, and as such, stretched/stressed areas WILL lift and pull away if not reheated to reset the vinyl memory, because i have no idea what make it is, i would say you need to reheat your tight/stretched areas to around 120/130 degrees. This will reset the vinyl and should prevent any lifting of tight areas such as the top corners of your bonnet...

Hope that helps you a little, if i think of anything else, ill add it up, mirrors.... Well there a different ball game all together, you'll have no choice to heat and stretch the vinyl, distorting the pattern, but that why im not a fan of it. Try not to patch carbon, it doesn't stick well to its self because of its textured finish.

Jon

• Like 1

That is thee best way to do a mirror, it leaves the edges of the mirror stretch free with zero risk of coming back as the tension is in the centre of the panel. not many people can actually get their heads around that method, it requires practice and a good knowledge of where to pin the vinyl so It can shrink properly, ha, and you say you've never done it before ;)

What does the inner edge facing the glass and inside look like?

Good job, I wish half of my lads could grasp this method, you nail it on something like this and it can really help on other panels when wrapping a full car.

Edited by _redders_

Thanks for the tips, very helpful. Hopefully it goes well when I fit it. Shouldn't be too bad as I managed to wrap a spoiler and my mates done a few bonnets before. Doing the mirrors will definitely be a different ball game

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk