Lowering springs or coilovers

Hi guys, can you help, I bought the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs for my 2008 1.9tdi Roomster, I 'think' they lower by maybe 25-30mm, and to be honest, they're poor. They are rock hard and do not handle lumps, holes, or reasonable sized road bumps well at all, they're very harsh indeed, and also bottom out at speed sometimes.

I was thinking of trying an alternative lowering spring kit out of the several that Demon Tweeks offer, and I may have gone a touch lower than the 25 to 30 that I have...... Then I heard someone here mention 'Coilovers' can anyone explain this, the advantages, and relative cost compared to lowering springs and standard dampers.... I'm confused.

I'd love air suspension, but can't get the second mortgage required :(

Many Thanks

If you want better handling (as opposed to just the lowered car look), it is best to keep stock springs and find a set of matching Bilstein Sport B6 monotube shock absorbers. I am using them on a 2.5V6 Mk1 Superb, well known for wallowy handling with stock suspension, and the B6s transformed the car's handling while keeping the ride very comfortable. They also last quite long, 7+ years/110k+ miles on mine and still driving as new.

A small problem with finding the part numbers for Roomster specifically is that they are not listed in Bilstein catalogue under the Roomster entry (only standard shocks are listed).

What I did for my Roomster was to look up ETKA part numbers for front and rear shocks, find other VAG cars where these shocks are used (via ATP Alt-F12 option), then find the corresponding B6 shocks in Bilstein catalogue . A bit roundabout way to find part numbers, but these shocks are well worth the extra effort and cost. On the Superb, coming from 15k mile / <1yr  old shocks, the B6s allowed me to go ~15mph faster into turns on a local hilly/twisty road (A507 Buntingford-Baldock).

The part numbers below are for MY2010+ Roomsters, I am pretty sure they will not fit your MY2008, sorry, but for someone else with Mk2 Roomster (in 2010 it got Fabia 2 front) they may be useful. I am putting them on my wife's car next year (subject to no further engine troubles).

FRONT: BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT 35-052173 VE3-5217 fabia estate

Shock Absorber Fitting Position Front Axle; Suspension Strut; Single Tube Upside Down; Top pin;

REAR: BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT 24-064095 BE3-6409 bora estate

Shock Absorber Fitting Position Rear Axle, Gas Pressure, Monotube, Bottom eye, Top pin

Hope it helps fellow Roomster fans, feel free to add Mk1 Roomster B6 Sport numbers in further posts when you find them  :)

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply, but the original question was asking the advantages of coilovers as apprised to lowering springs, as my hope is to improve ride quality over the poor damping that I have now. If I could go 'slightly' lower then I would. Handling is not my first priority as I generally don't drive particularly fast

Do I remember that 'Spax' did some complete shock/springs that were fully adjustable for the various parameters of suspension travel ?

Still however, if Roomster specific parts are not avaiable so east, then I'd need to know what Fabia part is required at the front, and I believe the rears are a previous model Octavia (previous model to the 2008) surely Skoda could help with this ?

Thanks

Looks awesome, will keep an eye out for you when out and about, I'm in and around Hinckley quite often and work on the A5.

Lewwy

I just looked up pre-2010 Roomster and it appears that the shock absorbers are same after all, so for anyone with a diesel Roomster, (any year), who does not want harsh ride but does want the improved handling, the Bilstein B6 Sport shock absorbers part numbers listed in earlier post are an option.

Also, for those who mostly care about the "filled in wheelarch" look, consider fitting larger overall diameter wheel/tyre combo, this ensures better comfort than just dropping the suspension to kerb-touching heights.  Roomster's spare wheel well can take anything up to Octavia sized wheels (eg 205/55/R16). Wheel arches are not as generous, but still can take up to 195/65/16, or 195wide x 630mm diameter tyres (you could probably go to 205/45/R17 if you want wider and low profile tyres for looks). Personally, I am going for one profile up from stock on next tyre change, this will correct the speedo and provide better comfort on long trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Get some shocks such b6s should improve the ride as the current shocks are not controlling the lowering springs. Also did u trim your bump stops as if they are riding on your stops it may also be thr cause of your harsh ride.

• 2 months later...

Another addendum, a poster on the Superb forum got Bilstein suspension from this Ebay seller. Looks good judging on feedback (99.7% positive on over 45k items sold).

I found front shocks and rear shocks for the Roomster there, sold as pairs, and looks to be a further 10% discount to all places I looked at recently, total £460 or so. I probably will order from them next year for my wife's Roomster. HTH

Just to remind, these are the numbers you need, they apparently also fit older Roomsters as well as the newest ones:

FRONT: BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT 35-052173 VE3-5217 fabia estate

Shock Absorber Fitting Position Front Axle; Suspension Strut; Single Tube Upside Down; Top pin;

REAR: BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT 24-064095 BE3-6409 bora estate

Shock Absorber Fitting Position Rear Axle, Gas Pressure, Monotube, Bottom eye, Top pin

Edited by dieselV6