My car feeler

I love my car but with a bit of a caveat.

It seems my dads car may become available to me in the nr future (he mentioned four months), and he's only doing it for warranty ran out ! Its got like no miles on it and its also a Skoda.

Its a far newer 1.8Tsi like the old vRS spec really, not a shabby spec at all, I doubt there is much on performance as its about 150hp too ?

Just wonder if it would be worth selling my vRS hence?.....I almost resent the idea, as having had the car practically trouble free from 1st ownership (obviously having experierienced known caveats/faults experienced with wiring etc)

So what would it be worth to sell to anyone ?

Given some of the "valuations" I have seen kicking about, would I be mad to think it could be worth up to £4k ish or a bit less ? What is it worth if not that ? Anything less than £3K and I'd laugh in someones face and keep it just to drive it into the ground, even with the other (like new) car soon coming into my posession.

The only genuine real reason I'd wish to sell is because we don't have much space for parking, on street only which has never been a problem but the number of spaces really is.

We even idiots who own more than one car, even park outside our house and have to walk down the street to their own house despite they have provided parking in their own road.

Also besides another cars I've been offered an MG in the long term (for fun/toying with), plus on top of the space the cost of insurance/tax etc, and hassle of ownership just isn't worth it ? But If I could move and had more secure parking space then I think I'd just keep the car.

BLT 2005 56 (Nov/Dev 05 I think it was reg'd)

112K. Always ran on original, no maps (so non modded wear and tear ONLY

Yes, its not "low miles". But its been clean miles, in most of those miles nice clean, cruising motorway miles.

15k a year, which is more like the modern "average" miles anyway.

You can tell its its done well from this as it doesn't smoke, just a tiny bit on start which is probably normal minor valve stem wear and tear. Oil usage is below tolerances

Serviced on schedule and always used Quantum only, and OEM parts

Cosmetically still good, very acceptable for age (7 yrs old) usual stonechips must be expected

Goes very strong, never had clutch slip, still on original turbo and clutch ! Still kills most crap on the road

Driven "sensibly" but certainly not slowly....not a boy racer.....but not a supermarket special or traffic light racer either - the mature owners car which is the ideal I would have thought!

Done the usual minor owner maintenance (knowledged owner following this forum) e.g,

- EGR gasket fix for hesitation

- manifold and EGR entirely cleaned out at around 90K, as well as started doing the EGR bypass at that time

- Had to fix the short wire to alternator prob, plus the dash light thrown and fixed by replacing the header tank.

- Aircon still functioning hot/cold etc, all the stuff thats supposed to work, works !

- Forgot to mention its wired with Cruise too, fully working

- Sony CD Headunit and the handly Sony stalk

- OEM New style badges all round, as I just bought some new ones for the alloys too

H&R, 17" spiders in anthracite New Uniroyal tyres all round at the moment

Color matched Yellow and Black Recaro seats, with lumber, third middle headrest in rear, heated + airbags are yet to be connected up

Its really a nice motor and I would be very reluctant to sell. But we don't really have driveway space where I live so being realistic.

My wife doesn't appreciate a decent car and thinks her newer Fabia mk2 is nicer for her despite, she is the typical over worrier on miles above condition, otherwise I'd convince to keep the vRS and get rid of hers ! I think she'd really rather have a Fiat 500 and isn't really into anything performance related lol.

If I'm honest, having owned the car for 7 years its difficult to maintain the long term interest without going into engine modding etc, something for me that doesn't really hold any interest because if I need to go fast I could just hop on a motorcycle and go twice as quick anyway.

its a real "look at me" car....and anyone its passed would appreciate its not shabby to drive. I just wonder perhaps as I'm getting on a bit if I'm less what the car is about and the more dull metallic that blends in with the crowd might be the more appropriate for me.

(Is it more of a young persons car?)

Maybe I might regret it though !

I toyed with the idea of shopping mine in earlier this year for something else, but I wouldn't buy new, and I know I'd regret selling the Fabia. 

It's small, but big enough.  It's quick enough, but economical when you want it to be.  It's cheap to run, and owes me nothing.

If the upgrade was free / super cheap, then go for it.  Personally, I'm going to drive my Fabia into the ground, and enjoy every mile of it.

• Like 1

That's the thing I'm not buying new, I'm being practically gifted a new(er) car ! Which will be newer, and offer the same kind of performance as the vRS, and about 5 years newer and bugger all mileage.

If I'm paying the dealers exchange price, its bugger all and happy to do that (though depending on generosity, I might even get this newer car gifted to me for less!)

The one thing I don't think it will offer in quite the same measure is "fun" though.

Bearing in mind I've already previously toyed with MK2 vRS (but didn't see the reason to jump), and more recently the Rapid (nice looking car, but not enough oomph). But a 1.8TSI "on a stick" is something you can't ignore.

So I get this other car, now I have 3 cars, and now I'm being offered another one (just for fun) a sports MG - that is 150hp too and weighs less than the Fabia !! I just don't have the bloody space for all these cars !!!

Maybe I need to move .....:)