turbo - that sound is new!

Fabia vrs turbo noise: http://youtu.be/MRNRqM3MjhU

The noise I'm replicating is actually happening at about 1500 revs. Maybe a bit less.

I do have the common whistle at 2k revs. But this is new.

Also does it sound like a police siren or do I need to go find an example lol. If I get the chance I'll jack it up and inspect turbo blades I suppose. Its under warranty still

What kind of camera have you got? Don't think I've seen a 2160p youtube vid before

As for the vid, I don't know but it doesn't sound healthy at all. I'd have it looked at while you've got warranty. Turbo failure is not fun at all. 

Might be nearing its end...

Check your seals along the entire intercooler pipework, and the turbo pipe that connects to it. Look for splits in the turbo pipe just in case, its common to get a split with boost pressure.

Otherwise, start saving for a new/recon turbo :-)

Its my nexus 4 phone lol!

Well they did my intercooler seals a few weeks back.

Wouldn't expect a boost leak to make a noise that low down the revs?

Anyway I figured it wasn't a normal noise

Personally I think that sounds fairly terminal. It has that metal against metal sound that simply frightens me to death.

If it is under warranty, do not touch it or interfere with it, they will say that you caused the failure, and return it to the garage and have them repair/replace it straight away.

Let us know how you get on

Keith

hard to tell with the vid mate, can you pop it by so I can have a listen ? I'm there late eve tomorrow if that helps or will be there sunday, could be a turbo on it's way I have done 2 in the last week and they usually come in 3's.

Is it going ok still? no smoke etc?

post-112872-0-37423200-1398983044_thumb.jpg

Felicia found the turbo has on the edge of each fin a bit of a dimple missing. hmmm

He's doing some other work on the car for the time being, but all boost pipes have been resealed but for now the radiator is in need of replacement :(

Not sure whether to get a new turbo for it pre-emptively 

It needs removing and properly testing, you'll never be able to tell on internal wear to rule that out. Perfectly normal to have a bit of outer "wear".. remember how old it is and how many revolutions it's done over the years...runs into millions! Fin damage or if it's touching the sides means it needs changing. You need to see what the exhaust side looks like /wastegate.

Wouldn't expect a boost leak to make a noise that low down the revs?

They are producing positive boost from very low revs,mine is holding 10psi cruising at 80mph,and circa 6psi cruising at 70mph.

Turbo failure really does bloody make you paranoid. I think I'll have a look around at other turbines to see if they too have those little bits of the fins missing.

84k on the clock - how long does KKK last usually (how long is a piece of string etc.) but yeh.

Question I face is hybrid http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/md446-stage-2-hybrid-turbo-for-vag-19tdi-130bhp-engines-p-2743.html or not. £300 difference from a standard unit, but I think I can get it cheaper via a trade user who tuned the car for me

Turbo failure really does bloody make you paranoid. I think I'll have a look around at other turbines to see if they too have those little bits of the fins missing.

84k on the clock - how long does KKK last usually (how long is a piece of string etc.) but yeh.

Question I face is hybrid http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/md446-stage-2-hybrid-turbo-for-vag-19tdi-130bhp-engines-p-2743.html or not. £300 difference from a standard unit, but I think I can get it cheaper via a trade user who tuned the car for me

I'm paranoid all the time about my turbo lol. First one went at 80k, which was a KKK