NEED HELP ASAP- radio blew

hello, after getting my new after market radio today i turned it right up and it blew?? the radio just cut off and won't come back on,

i took it back to halfords and got myself a replacement radio thinking i i won't have any issues but the new radio does not turn on, light up or do anything.

i was not driving the car at the time just cleaning it i have checked the fuses of the car (drivers side) and they are all fine but the radio still not working 

anyone got any ideas??

Fuse number 45 and it's a 20 amp fuse, replace it for the pittance it costs. Also does the radio have a fuse at the back? If so check it. You could have a short on the radio loom.

Have you checked the speakers and tried putting the stock HU back in?

the old head unit is knackered, apparently it packed in months ago, what do you mean checked the speakers? the radio does not work any more?? the one i replaced did not work 

Don't bother, you've blown the speakers, the voice coils have short-circuited and have blown the output on your head unit, if you're very lucky there'll be a little glass fuse inside the head unit with some vaporised metal inside otherwise you've just learned an expensive lesson in class A/B amplifier and loudspeaker power/impedance matching.

Edited by sepulchrave
  • Like 1

Don't bother, you've blown the speakers, the voice coils have short-circuited and have blown the output on your head unit, if you're very lucky there'll be a little glass fuse inside the head unit with some vaporised metal inside otherwise you've just learned an expensive lesson in class A/B amplifier and loudspeaker power/impedance matching.

i have got a new head unit, so do i just need new speakers?? as i was going to upgrade them anyhow?

plus if its the speakers that have blown, please explain why the head unit does not power on and neither of the fuses have blown? 

Edited for additional clarity, if you plugged the replacement head unit into the already blown speakers you have blown the replacement head unit as well.

Edited for additional clarity, if you plugged the replacement head unit into the already blown speakers you have blown the replacement head unit as well.

the head unit works perfectly in my dads car though, so head unit is working :/ 

and just to update, the head unit was not plugged into the speakers i left that connection unplugged when i fitted it and still no power

In that case, the switched live rail A7 is dead, illumination is on A6, you must have missed a fuse somewhere, perhaps there is an inline fuse holder tucked somewhere at the back with a blown fuse in it.

In that case, the switched live rail A7 is dead, illumination is on A6, you must have missed a fuse somewhere, perhaps there is an inline fuse holder tucked somewhere at the back with a blown fuse in it.

what is a6 +a7?? are these fuses? I'm new here so I'm not sure of what these are haha i will strip the dash tomorrow to try to find the culprit 

In that case its just another instance where you pretend to be god like but have infact got it wrong.

• Like 3

In that case its just another instance where you pretend to be god like but have infact got it wrong.

Run out of pants to sniff rover? Long time no see, trying to be a helpful contributor as usual I see.

A6 and A7 are the pin connector designations on the DIN A connector at the back of your stereo, DIN B is your speaker connection that you say you didn't connect second time around. The speakers will likely still be blown and will still likely be short-circuited so you risk damaging the new head unit if you plug it into them, check for short circuit across the pins of your DIN B connector before you try and use it, or just replace the speakers as you'd intended to do anyway. Best of luck.

and just to update, the head unit was not plugged into the speakers i left that connection unplugged when i fitted it and still no power

Just to chuck another spanner into the works SOME radio kit refuses to switch on with no speakers connected, its a self protection thing. Check the radio handbook.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had the exact same problem on my 2005 Fabia 1.9 TDI this weekend...it was also fuse 10...I just worked trough all the fuses, as I had two car rafios, which both failed, so I figured it was a fuse. But since fuse 45 wasn't blown, I resorted to check every single fuse, and finally I found fuse 10 was blown, put a new one in, and everything has been working for a couple of days now.

The only action that triggered it, was playing loud music, as I have done always ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...