split pipe, can anyone name it?

As per title really, i took the cover off to get at the screws to replace the MAF today, and found this pipe had split. No idea what its for, can anyone tell me?

also is this gap supposed to be on the join for the maf and the edge of the air intake box?

post-7520-0-20755200-1398383931_thumb.jpg

post-7520-0-07466200-1398383922_thumb.jpg

That split pipe is part of the crankcase breather system, basically it's there so the vacuum from the engine can evacuate any oil/fuel vapour from the engine block and cylinder head, any leak in the breather system can lead to some strange running issues and/.or misfires etc.

Secondly, an air leak upstream on the mass airflow meter is not going to cause much harm, but it will allow a small portion of unfiltered air into the intake, if the leak were the other side of the airflow meter it might lead to running issues.

Thanks Tom,  so if I was to order another pipe,  what would I order? Is it better to order a complete set of various pipes and just replace them all.  It has some strange running issues which were mostly sorted by replacing the maf. So probably that will sort it all out. 

A bit of tape to cover that gap should sort it I reckon 

I just know that pipe as ' the y pipe ' from my experience, you're better off to get the set of silicone breather houses. Everyone 1.8t I've ever had, had one of the old hoses tear when I was doing a job! But that could just be my luck!

I just order the lower breather and the crankcase breather hose both in blue silicone from creation motorsport,  cost60 quid posted mind..... Oops,  don't tell the Mrs! 

I just order the lower breather and the crankcase breather hose both in blue silicone from creation motorsport, cost60 quid posted mind..... Oops, don't tell the Mrs!

That's what I did got the kit from CM but bee careful with the plastic elbow under the manifold they go brittle and break really easy. Might be worth getting one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

sorry to revive such an old thread but im going be replacing my breather hoses next week and keep reading about this plastic elbow that can potentially break? does anyone have a link or part number for the relevant elbow i might require?

I just order the lower breather and the crankcase breather hose both in blue silicone from creation motorsport,  cost60 quid posted mind..... Oops,  don't tell the Mrs!

I got the black y pipe, bit of a trim needed but all good. Hopefully going catch can soon though. The creations stuff is quality and very reasonable money. Way I see it if pipes split they're worth an upgrade while you're there, much less chance of it happening again.