Turbo failure - The journey ahead!

Having bought CarlVrs's 2005 Fabia vrs off the forum, I thought I would make a little thread to keep track of what's going on.

It's a 2005 vrs with an ASZ engine, has done about 90,400. I've bought it with a failed turbo. Took a risk buying it since the turbo failed dramatically and pretty much exploded, I had thousands of small metal specs on the small air intake pipe that goes straight from the turbo leading up to the airbox!

I'm planning hybrid within the next few weeks but in preparation I'm fitting another standard turbo from "matt dixon" from Brisky which I've just picked up tonight (nice to meet you btw!)

Now ahead of all this I need to guess why the turbos failed and what damaged has it possibly done. The oil feed pipe has been blocked off and the engine started which seems ok as far as I can tell.

The intercooler, all boost pipes, egr valve, inlet manifold, airbox and air pipes have all been removed and are being cleaned. Got a good pile of dirt, grit and small metal fragments out of everything so most of that is spotless now, just hope none or very little have enterd the engine!

A new air filter will be fitted also.

Now with the air side coverd I'm moving onto the oil section. A new oil feed pipe has been purchased, along with 10L of vw long life oil, an engine flush and two oil filters. I will be removing the sump and oil pickup/strainer and cleaning that with part cleaner and compressed air. With the sump still removed I will be removing the oil filter and oil pressure switches and oil feed pipe and clean the full housing again with part cleaner and compressed air. With the sump sparking clean and new gasket I will fit a new oil filter put new oil in and add an engine flush, this should clean out any other specs of metal, dirt or build up of grime in the engine I can't get to.

I will then run the engine for 10 minutes or so with the engine flush in and second hand turbo fitted but with the very top boost pipe off, the one that attaches to the egr valve. This is so any other small pieces of dirt or metal will fire out of the boost pipe and not enter the inlet manifold.

I will then drain the oil and engine flush out, put fresh oil and another new oil filter and run that over the next two weeks and see how things progress, if all is well fit the hybrid turbo! If the engine is broken or internal damage, I will weigh up if it's worth rebuilding with performance internals or just fitting another engine.

• Like 1

Sounds like a meticulous plan, to be honest there won't be any contamination from the blown turbo in the engine internals, the only thing you can't easily check are the inlet and exhaust valves and seats however a compression check will tell you if they're all sealing properly. Good luck with it, at least it's the right time of year for a resurrection job.