Octavia 3 III vRS front bumper removal - how to

xpower

When I took it off to wrap my grille it looked like the outer part (the part you get black on the 'black pack') was separate but the inner section was integral to the bumper.

Saying that super skoda sell the honeycombe centre for that grille so do they suggest cutting the original out....

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, sorry for the offtopic, but I need your help. I've got a '14 Octavia and would like to upgrade from my stock bumper to a vRS one. I've found the part, but now here comes the big question: will the bumper be plug & play on the body, or will it need (like in the case of converting an Audi A3 to S3 bodykit) the front wings as well? 

I've heard that Skoda has put different front wings on the vRS from the ones found on the normal versions. 

Please heeelp! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You would think that changing a simple light bulb could be done in a less complicated manner!

This is the kind of thing which would actually put me off buying another Octavia if I had to do this even once, crap design and no thought of impact on customers. I don't have the patience for this kind of stuff.

Think I was lucky with my Mondeo as it got to 8 years old without any bulbs needing changed!

• 1 year later...

Hi this was a real help when I had to remove the bumper to replace the grill after peasant strike. I found it a lot easier to remove the wheel arch liner. as you can get in the the 2 screws in the wing a lot better ( this is the most stupid 2 bolts i have ever had to remove must be a better way ).

Thanks for the helpful guide. (took about 3 - 3.5 hrs to go from on to off to back on)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi xpower. I am in the middle of removing the bumper. I am nearly at the end. But I can't get the clips to release the bumper. In fact it took me a while to finally spot the clips in the gap in the middle of the plastic lug sticking out. They push down, but I can't get the bumper to release. I've tried taking the pressure off and wiggling, to no avail...

14 hours ago, WWorx said:

Hi xpower. I am in the middle of removing the bumper. I am nearly at the end. But I can't get the clips to release the bumper. In fact it took me a while to finally spot the clips in the gap in the middle of the plastic lug sticking out. They push down, but I can't get the bumper to release. I've tried taking the pressure off and wiggling, to no avail...

I had a similar problem, I pressed down and couldn't get it to unhook. I had to push the bumper in to release pressure on the clips, and also press a little harder on the clip.

4 hours ago, mabnz said:

I had a similar problem, I pressed down and couldn't get it to unhook. I had to push the bumper in to release pressure on the clips, and also press a little harder on the clip.

I tried pushing the bumper in in both sides and just couldn't get the thing to release. It is really hard to see the clips and to know whether you are pressing on the the right way. I used a long screwdriver vertically going down through the hole at the top; like the perspective from which xpower took the pictures.  Getting the bumper off a a nightmare! The hidden screws are a particular pain in tha backside. I haven't put them back in yet and I am worried about dropping one in the process. I think I am going to give up on the bumper removal.

All this was to try to get the old silver grille surround off and replace it with a black one. I wasn't having luck getting it off either...

If you see this photo I took here, this shows what you're pressing down on.

IMG_7621.JPG

And this is where you need to press (just to make sure you're pressing on the right bit:

87BB3DE3-933D-44E1-BA60-860A466CC852_zps

On 08/05/2016 at 06:51, RogerG62 said:

I found it a lot easier to remove the wheel arch liner. as you can get in the the 2 screws in the wing a lot better ( this is the most stupid 2 bolts i have ever had to remove must be a better way ).

Thanks for the helpful guide. (took about 3 - 3.5 hrs to go from on to off to back on)

That tip on the wheel arch liner might just save my sanity! You are right. Those two bolts  in the wing on each side are awful!

Ok, so I got the grill surround off, which was my aim. But I did it without removing the bumper as I just couldn't quite face it. I broke the old surround getting it off. Oh well. New grill is on. Now I need to get those awful wing screws back in without dropping them... Tea break first!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just finished 30 minutes ago) fitting a new headlamp unit after a birdstrike cracked the glass on my '14 Octy.
Here's a little tip that will probably save a lot of time if you're only dealing with lights on one side.
Undo all the top and bottom screws as per the guide but only remove the wheel arch liner on the side you're dealing with.
Only remove the screws behind the wheel arch on the side you're dealing with.
Disconnect the headlamp plug and undo the 2 retaining screws.
Having a helper pull the bumper out sufficiently on that side will allow you to remove and replace the entire headlamp unit. 
Started 1.30pm - finished, washed up and drinking coffee and logged in here at 3.51pm. If I ever have to do it again it will be a breeze now that I know what I'm dealing with.

• 1 month later...

Any chance of getting the pictures back.
I only see a 'photobucket' tumbnail.

I am going to replace my bumber with a new one in a couple of weeks and this walkthrough is just what i need.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - First post on here! I have an Octy MKIII and want to fit a custom grille - so need to remove the front bumper!! This guide looks pretty good but I cant see the images and will need all the help I can get as am not car savvy!!! I know how I want my ride to look but dont know much about how to do it - but happy to give it a crack! Can anyone help? Ta

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a novice at this kind of thing. Had the damaged grill to change for ages. After putting it off and off because of no clear method, I just gave it a go and stumbled upon this method. All is great but like others, got to the two screws and struggled. Don't attempt the two screws without removing inner wheel arch trim. The whole job should take about two to three hours if you do it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I can reach the back of the A7 light bulb..just need to know what and how to open the bulb from the hole..I don't think I need to take the whole bumper off for this. 

Edited by automass

• 6 months later...

My grille was broken when somebody reversed into me. Dealer garage said the grille is part of the bumper and has to be bought as one unit. I have seen grills and surrounds for  sale on eBay. Has anybody managed to cut out the old insert grille from the bumper, and how do you connect the new one if cutting our removes the plastics clips???

I had to remove the bumper. Octavia mk3. No other way of doing it, believe me I was stuck on this for months. I had the exact problem as your experiencing. Takes about 4 hours to complete it. Bought grille off ebay and glued it on with sticks like ****.

• 8 months later...

Just attempted this after buying the honeycomb grille and jeez, those 2 bolts in the wing were impossible. Put everything back as it was and then realised I'd skipped over the comment about removing the arch liner (facepalm). How easy is it to get the liner out? T.I.A.

Hi 

sorry for the delay in getting back. The liner is not that difficult to get out. easier if the wheel is off. There are screws around the outer edge of the wheel arc and I think 2 on the inside, if you have the wheel off ( it makes life A LOT easier) you will see them in front of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a go at this yesterday to replace indicator bulbs to LED. Thanks for the mega helpful guide! Although there are a few folk who have managed this without taking the wheel liner off, I would say don't even try it - those 2 bolts tucked in behind the wing are almost impossible to remove otherwise. I tried with a bendy screwdriver and just about managed on one side, but was starting to rip the torx screw head, so spent 15mins getting the wheel off and then wheel liner, and am so glad I did! At the bottom of the wheel liner at the front end there is an attachment that looks like it is clipped in - this pulls out rather than down, so you are pulling it towards the wheel rather than down to the ground. 

Also a little tip for when you're putting everything back together... loosen the top torx bolt on the headlight (there are 3, the other 2 of which are lower down on the unit - one at the back and one at the side), which will drop the headlight unit by a few millimetres, but made life easier when putting the bumper back on, as there are a few slots on the base of the headlight unit that align with holes in the bumper, and this makes it easier for those to connect.