Rusty Sills: Help me dispel the bull...

...I'm not sure that the dealer taking pictures says anything as they offered to do that the first time I went in...

Warranty claims such as this need to be submitted by DIS, unless the dealer wants to eat the cost themselves. There is no reason not to submit this as a claim under warranty.

Thanks for clarifying. I had misinterpreted your earlier comment.

I think I might start photographing random Octavias about the same age as mine to see what their bungs are like.

If I get arrested, you'll know why.

There is nothing wrong with the bungs. In an ideal world, the factory would have sprayed the underseal, waited for it to dry and then inserted the bungs. Often the underseal is sprayed over the bungs. The bungs are rarely circular/oval, especially where they are fitted after spraying, due to variations in the underseal thickness on the edges of the hole (the underseal has made the hole too small for the bung).

• Like 1

The bungs are fitted then the underseal is sprayed over them, skip to 6:30 on this video

That's awesome. Thank you.

Proves that the dealer has 'lied' to me about one thing at least...

• Like 1

Warranty claims such as this need to be submitted by DIS, unless the dealer wants to eat the cost themselves. There is no reason not to submit this as a claim under warranty.

What I'm worried about is potentially having to stump up £130-£200 for an approved 'independent' survey to be carried out on my car to ascertain whether it is going to be a warranty claim or not.

Not even sure at this stage if I'll get that back if it is.

Have the folks with rusty sills got mud guards or not?

Phil

Nope. Not officially available on the VRS although some folk have managed to fit them or put on rally flaps.

There is an old post somewhere on the site about this and basically it just says that the flaps help towards the front of the car and you still get chips further back.

Ironic as everyone seems to have rust towards the front of the car (even with flaps) which suggests that stone chips aren't the issue.

Hi KBPHOTO my 2008 vrs sills are exactualy same as yours with the bungs showing. They have been like that for a long time. If you ever need me to send you photos to back you up just give a PM with some details. My sills have never been repaired.

• Like 1

Ironic as everyone seems to have rust towards the front of the car (even with flaps) which suggests that stone chips aren't the issue.

they will be full up with water, it runs downhill and collects at the lowest point

they will be full up with water, it runs downhill and collects at the lowest point

I'd been suspecting water inside the sills and rusting from the inside outwards as there was no evidence of anything other than one small stone chip on the NS in October last year and by January there was a lot on both sides and now even more...

Thanks Steve. Looks like yours are covered but protective treatment is starting to come away.

Can you confirm please?

Seems to have a good covering all over. A piece has come away over the bung, but there seems to be a thinner covering beneath. No corrosion that I can see, but in saying that it is currently raining and laying on the drive looking at the sills is attracting odd looks from the neighbours! Edited by steve33

I think it's ridiculous that they try and refuse on the grounds that you don't have full dealer service history. Can understand if it was a serviceable item that the claim was for but there's not much they can do when it's sills!

Thank you guys. Especially in the rain.

Anyone else got issues with door seals causing lines?

What year vehicle have you got if you have?

I have a black magic 06 estate with mud flaps and the area above the stone guard by the front doors is rusting in a pattern consistent with front wheel fly off (225/45/17).

I intend to use Screwfix' own version of Hammerite smooth black to do the whole sill.

There is also rusting along the rear body where the door rubber abrades the paintwork due to vibration.

The top surface of the sills between the front and rear doors (B pillar area?) are also rusty, seems like water and muck accumulated and ate through paint there.

Looks like the rusty Skoda jokes have had the last laugh :(

I bought some rust protection undercoat last night. Supposedly for iron railings etc. Give it a go.

If the car was black I'd probably go the hammerite or even Waxoyl route.

Edited by Aspman

I am slightly worried by all this talk of rust on the mk2 Octavia. Even though mine is showing none externally; I am concerned it may be hiding somewhere I can't see, which may all of a sudden appear and spread quickly! :(