Rusty Sills: Help me dispel the bull...

I am slightly worried by all this talk of rust on the mk2 Octavia. Even though mine is showing none externally; I am concerned it may be hiding somewhere I can't see, which may all of a sudden appear and spread quickly! :(

If you've got an FL you're probably fine.

If not check the sills above the stone chip paint line. You'll likely see bubbling and or spots. For me I'm certain it's due to stone damage and nothing more sinister other have different opinions.

I'm also referring to cosmetic rust, nothing structural at the moment.

What is worth checking on your car is behind the wheel arch liner. You need a torx head to get the screw out but you can get piles of damp leaves in there.

If you've no damage I'd certainly investigate some sort of stone chip film for that area.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Walking across Morrisons car park earlier and had a look at a mk5 golf and the stone chip protection comes right up to about a centimetre from the top of the sill. Skoda being the 'cheap' VAG and spread across a few hundred thousand cars a year can save quite a bit costs wise not taking it to that level. Few years down the line the customer pays for it.   

Walking across Morrisons car park earlier and had a look at a mk5 golf and the stone chip protection comes right up to about a centimetre from the top of the sill. Skoda being the 'cheap' VAG and spread across a few hundred thousand cars a year can save quite a bit costs wise not taking it to that level. Few years down the line the customer pays for it.   

They obviously recognised it as a problem since it was done to a higher point after the FL.

A 'reasonable business' choice since problems are unlikely to arise in the warranty period. I doubt many manufacturers care much about owners 6+ years down the line (except Kia I suppose).

I'll take some pics of mine and upload.

57 plate with 146k on the clock.

Both sides are starting to rust where stonechips have broke through the lack of underseal.

I'm going to take the mud flaps off and have a look plus I know someone who knows someone who has the tools to look inside the sills.

This could be interesting and, if there is significant rust there, the Skoda don't really have much option in my opinion.

• Like 1

here are some pics of mine I took this evening

IMAG1039.jpg

IMAG1041.jpg

That clearly shows squished bungs!

And a line down the door jam in the same place as mine.

Thank you.

amk2vr6: no problem, but if you can I'd be very appreciative.

I'm not going to buy anything, I know someone who has the kit already and will (hopefully) have a look for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys. Especially in the rain.

Anyone else got issues with door seals causing lines?

What year vehicle have you got if you have?

Yes my 05 Octy has lines there, very annoying.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Car is going to the dealer on Wednesday to be photographed and the Skoda UK rep I have been dealing with a week later (he is on holiday from 14th-21st - my bad luck).

Right. Car went in yesterday, but no one told me it would be in there for two days!

Good job they had a courtesy car booked for me...

Photos taken. Report sent to SUK. No feedback from the dealer though.

Looks like they have poked & prodded as numerous flakes of paint have fallen off. There's even some new scratches that weren't there when it went in...

Wi await a response from Skoda (after the 21st). But I think we all know the answer I'm going to get...

What gets me is that our '03 Fabia has no sill protector and no rust.

Later Octavias had sill protector fitted up to the door shuts (near enough).

What happened with the pre-FL Octavias? Thin / poor paint & scrimping on sill protector paint seems to have been accepted practice.

The best bit, this week, was the Roomster I had for two days. Only did about 50 miles, but was pretty impressed as a family car.

• Like 2

Similar complaints here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/236443-sill-corrosion/

You can see from this picture that the mudflaps have stopped the stone chips / rust immediately behind them, but where the stones are able to contact the sills the problems have started.

This picture is of a 2004 (54) with 145,000 miles on it...

2012-03-27111600.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for that picture.

In my case, there is a significant amount of rust appearing close to the mudflap. In fact, is was in the zone just behind the flap that the rust originated and it has spread from there.

I'll await feedback from SUK.

Nothing as yet. But not expecting anything until tomorrow at the earliest.

The guy who had been dealing with my case did call me around the 8th to say he would be away from 14th (when car went in) and 21st (tomorrow) and would look at my case when he returned.

Fingers crossed, but I think we all know the answer I'll get.

Similar complaints here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/236443-sill-corrosion/

You can see from this picture that the mudflaps have stopped the stone chips / rust immediately behind them, but where the stones are able to contact the sills the problems have started.

This picture is of a 2004 (54) with 145,000 miles on it...

2012-03-27111600.jpg

That is identical to mine - '54 reg 132,000 miles (Sahara Beige though).

Dave

What rights do I have if the dealer I'm using to fix my 'corrosion issue' is playing the not a 'Full Dealer Service History' card? I'm not taking 'No' for an answer and want to know what legal rights I have to throw back at them! Why would I need a FDSH if an Indy can do as good a job and save me money?

Edited by billywhiz040480

I baffled my local dealer when I was informed the cracks in the paint along the roof channels were not covered due to..................not having FSSH! I simply asked the question how Skoda changing my oil and air filters would stop the paint from cracking on the roof............as I was obviously missing the link between an oil change and paint defect!!!!

He shut-up sharpish.

They asked me if I had any other Skoda's in the family!

What difference does that make (apart from showing loyalty)?

The answer they got was: yes. It's 4 years older, has no sill protection and has no rust.

I'm really astonished reading all these various things about corrosion, it's a well known fact in the motor industry that skoda have always had a really poor reputation for their paint, you see it on yetis and Octavia's all the time, panels that have been painted so badly by the factory that I'm surprised the owner even took it off the dealer forecourt. I thought the quality control had improved since vw took over the reigns but it appears not, I mean it's not as if these cars are even cheaper than vw's nowadays is it? Shame on you skoda.

The guy that I am dealing with is back off holiday and he has been trying to contact me. I have been trying to contact him. But neither of us successfully.

In one voice message he left for me it seemed as if he wanted me to update him on the situation. Not sure what is going on there...