Rusty Sills: Help me dispel the bull...

KBPhoto isn't driving a Bentley, he is driving a skoda. Surely a dealer at any level should offer any advice but from my experience too, Skoda dealers don't really mention any issue with paintwork unless I do. I wonder why?

• Like 1

Just had stone chip done up to the top edge of the sills, no damage under the sills, just stone chips above the factory stone chip.

£220 for both sides.

Just got to trim and fit the rear arch protectors.  

Stewart

P1020073

P1020072

• Like 2

I just did the same thing but it cost £17.97.

2 x 600ml aerosol cans of Hammerite Stone Chip Shield from Halfords and a roll of masking tape from a pound shop.

It could have been £10.99 as Amazon are/were doing the stuff for a fiver a can with free postage!

I just did the same thing but it cost £17.97.

2 x 600ml aerosol cans of Hammerite Stone Chip Shield from Halfords and a roll of masking tape from a pound shop.

It could have been £10.99 as Amazon are/were doing the stuff for a fiver a can with free postage!

I take it your car is black then? I was thinking of doing the same with mine.

Got any pics of the finished article?

Just had stone chip done up to the top edge of the sills, no damage under the sills, just stone chips above the factory stone chip.

£220 for both sides.

Just got to trim and fit the rear arch protectors.  

Stewart

Exactly what Im getting done.

@amk2vr6

No clean pictures so you'll just have to take my word for it that the satin black finish doesn't look out of place on the sills, comes in white and grey too.

@amk2vr6

No clean pictures so you'll just have to take my word for it that the satin black finish doesn't look out of place on the sills, comes in white and grey too.

Could you get some pics pretty please?

:D

Here's another issue they are going to argue over.

These are the rear door shuts looking towards the rear wheels.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

The dealer says that these lines, where the rust is or is blistering, show where new sills were grafted on to the car following a repair.

Both body shops say no to that. You just wouldn't do it that way.

One pointed out (I told the other) that the lines exactly match the rubber deals on the doors... This suggests???

That's shocking and the line is so dead straight I don't think it's anything to do with a door seal and a bit of dirt.

FWIW most people don't remove the front wheel arch liners at the rear and pull the dead leaves out at the end of autumn and again in the spring.

This is where the drain from the screen is and if you don't clear it out, then it fills up with leaves and these keep the sill wet, causing rust.

That's shocking and the line is so dead straight I don't think it's anything to do with a door seal and a bit of dirt.

What do you think it is then? It does match the location of the door seals though.

FWIW most people don't remove the front wheel arch liners at the rear and pull the dead leaves out at the end of autumn and again in the spring.

This is where the drain from the screen is and if you don't clear it out, then it fills up with leaves and these keep the sill wet, causing rust.

Is that part of the maintenance schedule?

Is it in the user manual?

Do Skoda do that as part of a service?

How is the owner supposed to know these things if there is no information provided about them?

Is that part of the maintenance schedule?

Is it in the user manual?

Do Skoda do that as part of a service?

How is the owner supposed to know these things if there is no information provided about them?

No

No

No

Aren't you physic?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

No

No

No

Aren't you physic?

Bingo... I only found it when I was doing something else in there and undid the arch liner to get a pile of leaves on a MK I Octy.

Checked and the MK II was the same, as was a MKIV golf and all the newer ones.

It's really easy, you just undo a couple of screws at the bottom and edge, pull the liiner out, remove the rotting leaf crap and then put it all back.

About 20 minutes a car and best done before it gets really cold.

As for the line, to me, and I'm by no means expert in this, it looks like somebody taped it off and resprayed it above/below the line.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

It's a shock just how much crud there is in there the first time you do it.

On my old car, first time I checked there was about 6" of leaves and muck behind the arch liner.

Finally managed to speak with the guy at SUK regarding getting the report.

No joy as he only has read only copy!

Seems my next step is to go to another dealer for a second opinion.

Then my only option is to pay for a vehicle inspection (PVWI from £160) which may go in my favour and then the dealer may accept their findings.

Not impressed with the way the dealer has treated my car while they were inspecting it: I now have extra scratches, several new areas where paint has been removed (but no rust) and areas where there is rust and lots of paint has been removed. I also have a hole in the sill protection stuff (was there before going to dealer) that has been pulled away allowing even more water & dirt in.

Feel like reporting the dealer to SUK with a strong complaint regarding their attitude, lies and poor treatment of my car.

I noticed the middle of my tailgate has a bubble appeared... along with general bubbles here and there. I'm not thinking much of the 2008 Skoda paint work! I don't know whether to leave it till the next service and point it out. My sill protection material has an inch long hole in it too! Time to get some sort of petition thing going and send it to SUK I think!

No rust on my 06 vRS with 112,000 miles on the clock. None of my bungs are covered; they have no protective coating over them.

Scrap this! :(

Just spotted a load of small blisters appearing in patches on both of my sills above the stone chip protector! It looked clean on the 1st May when I posted this?! How fast does this stuff spread?!

Scrap this! :(

Just spotted a load of small blisters appearing in patches on both of my sills above the stone chip protector! It looked clean on the 1st May when I posted this?! How fast does this stuff spread?!

Like Japanese Bindweed! It might even be contagious!

• Like 1

How fast does this stuff spread?!

Very quickly. And it's contagious.

I spotted one small stone chip on the near side at the end of October and by December it had spread rapidly on both sides!

Skoda still haven't explained that one.

It does seem to be mostly 2007/2008 owners that are experiencing this problem suggesting that Skoda took too many cost saving measures about that time.

I'm going to video my taking off one of the front mudguards and wheel arch trim to see if there is a build up of detritus in there. If there is, this must surely be a contributing factor and a design fault(?)

• Like 1

Booked in to have both sills rubbed down and repainted with stone chip style paint right to the edge of the sill. About £400 to do; thinking this will be best done before winter sets in!

I wonder if having dampness on the inside would promote rust on the outside, a bit like galvanic corrosion.

You may have a point. I cleared the inside of my sills about 2 weeks ago; they were packed with damp soil and leaves; literally in to a solid block! I gently cleaned them out with APC and a brush. There was no rust inside the cavity of the sills where this build up had been. From the inside it looks to be well protected.

Looking at my sills there are what appear to be pin ***** sized holes; which may be from stone impacts. Really annoyed by this now; why was my old 97 P plate 306 with 250,000 miles on the clock completely rust free (in 2008)?!? Even with panel damage!