Center Silencer Removed :)

with my 2.5" straight through i have almost no drove at all while cruising.

its almost like stock, only when you start requesting more power does it make noise.

so just removing the center section will be fine.

as long as its calm and not overly intrusive while driving normally i should be fine (i mean in D calmly getting up to 30), my GF was getting a bit ****y about me wanting to chop bits out of my 1month old car... you know as you would be haha.

what did that turboback cost you if you dont mind me asking?

Edited by matthewl

as long as its calm and not overly intrusive while driving normally i should be fine (i mean in D calmly getting up to 30), my GF was getting a bit ****y about me wanting to chop bits out of my 1month old car... you know as you would be haha.

what did that turboback cost you if you dont mind me asking?

£350, but it was a right old balls up had to have it done 4 times.

• 1st time it was straight through to a tiny - wouldn't even call it a silencer- silencer and it was god awful loud.
  • 2nd time had them install a silencer in the same location as the resonator as stock.... was still loud and made it not as powerful,
  • 3rd time they installed a proper back box instead of the can of beans it had, was now as quiet as stock.. pointless
  • 4th time had the mid silencer cut out and now its spot on perfect.

The problem with these cars is that they made a ton of noise off idle which really booms on a aftermarket exhaust, i would of kept the exhaust first time if it wasn't as loud parking up as going flat out!.

• Like 1

Pointless post but im so excited for this to be done at the weekend.

im going to enquire about a sports cat fitted to the standard downpipe also see what they say :)

cheers george for the heads up on Jimkingautotune

I have to go there on the weekend as they couldnt quote over the phone but im assuming that its going to be cheaper anyway :)

• Like 2

hey george, I went to jim kings at the weekend, thanks for the recommendation!

what a class guy he was, i was shocked at the location of the garage, it was down this little pretty country road, i actually drove past it and had to ask where it was.

straight away i was amazed, his yard had some pretty class cars in it, there was a caged 106 rallaye outside which started when i was talking to jim, it was cammed and ITB'd!! very shocked! he asked if that was what i was into, i replied yes and he took me to see his and his sons race cars! opened the bonnet had a look around etc. amazed at the quality of his sons car! 190hp itb'd b16 civic! carbon and fibre glass everywhere, polly windows etc. he then shown me his tube framed land rover!

anyway we talked and he is going to do the job for £55 which is a hell of a bargain for up here, its booked in for the weekend. were then going to discuss sports cats etc and see what we can do :)

again, cheers for the recommendation!

I am bewildered by this desire to make ANY car noisier.  It is now suggested that fitting musical instruments to the new generation of Formula 1 cars would actually make the racing between Rosberg / Hamilton, Alonso / Raikonnen more exciting - mental!

A significant part of the appeal to me of the vRS is that it has a powerful, responsive, relatively economical engine (albeit with possible oil burning issues) and a fantastic seven speed automatic gearbox (allegedly with the wrong sort of oil in some cases) in an inconspicuous "Q-car" package.

If there is a next generation vRS, I hope Skoda can tame the wind and road noise and don't set out to make it louder or stick "go faster" chequered flag stripes all over it.

"Speak softly, and carry a big stick" ;)

I am bewildered by this desire to make ANY car noisier.  It is now suggested that fitting musical instruments to the new generation of Formula 1 cars would actually make the racing between Rosberg / Hamilton, Alonso / Raikonnen more exciting - mental!

A significant part of the appeal to me of the vRS is that it has a powerful, responsive, relatively economical engine (albeit with possible oil burning issues) and a fantastic seven speed automatic gearbox (allegedly with the wrong sort of oil in some cases) in an inconspicuous "Q-car" package.

If there is a next generation vRS, I hope Skoda can tame the wind and road noise and don't set out to make it louder or stick "go faster" chequered flag stripes all over it.

Sorry my friend but reading your latest and greatest contributions to this section, I can only imagine you spend a lot of your time on here bewildered.......... :wonder:

I am wondering how long it will be before people start asking if you have any interest in this car at all, or if you are just logging in to wind people up.

I hope not the case

• Like 4

different strokes for different folks. youre on a forum, an open community, some people are into things others aren't.

I personally have never imagined myself to do anything to an exhaust, if i were to have any noise it would be some intake noise.

but IMO the vRS is weak.

you don't get the sense you're driving a sporty hatch, the noise is a big part of it, especially coming from a focus st, with its huge heavy breathing lungs and farty back end. 

the vrs doesn't sound sporty. IMO its a bit dull.

Well said! haha!

Edited by matthewl

I am interested to hear from anyone who thinks that there exhaust is flowing better with the central resonator removed.

Also from anyone who has switched their stock cat out for a 100/200 cell race cat.

vRSy achieved same figures as a stage 2 car with Milltek with only software and a decat OEM downpipe.  For my money a custom Turbo back with race cat and removed central resonator, should probably give optimum flow.  Reducing back pressure further than this on these engines may not actually be beneficial and reading Lucifer666's experiences on his Ibiza (SCN) suggest it could contribute to oil issues.

I am interested to hear from anyone who thinks that there exhaust is flowing better with the central resonator removed.

Also from anyone who has switched their stock cat out for a 100/200 cell race cat.

vRSy achieved same figures as a stage 2 car with Milltek with only software and a decat OEM downpipe.  For my money a custom Turbo back with race cat and removed central resonator, should probably give optimum flow.  Reducing back pressure further than this on these engines may not actually be beneficial and reading Lucifer666's experiences on his Ibiza (SCN) suggest it could contribute to oil issues.

if you don't mind me asking what happened with lucifer?

once i get my resonator removed at the weekend i'm going to be talking to the guy about fitting a 200 cell sports cat into the standard pipework (I will NOT pay £600 to milltek)

I'll update this with my findings if you want?

im guessing though there will be no real flow benefits because its literally just a straight holed pipe through the box with no turns etc.

if were looking at benefits it will be from the couple of kilograms you've saved in weight haha :)

• Like 1

if you don't mind me asking what happened with lucifer?

once i get my resonator removed at the weekend i'm going to be talking to the guy about fitting a 200 cell sports cat into the standard pipework (I will NOT pay £600 to milltek)

I'll update this with my findings if you want?

im guessing though there will be no real flow benefits because its literally just a straight holed pipe through the box with no turns etc.

if were looking at benefits it will be from the couple of kilograms you've saved in weight haha :)

Lucifer's car is one of the few big power stage 3 1.4tsi twinchargers 260bhp+ running the Loba 270 hybrid turbo.  But he has had to adapt the head and allsorts to get there, we are into the realms of spending £500 on Okada Plasma Coil packs to solve misfires.  He believes that the restrictions in the head are part of the fundamental reason this engine is hard to take to really high tune.

Another guy in Greece called Queen is running a K04 Hybnrid turbo and has nearly cracked 300bhp.

Expect the race cat swap out is a good solution to gaining more flow.  I am hoping to do this soon at a custom exhaust place, I would like to think with Stage 1 Software there are some gains to be had here.

It doesn't feel any different if I'm honest. The benefits from my ITG probably outweigh any gains from removing the resonator. The ITG made real differences to pickup over the standard filter.

Would be interesting to see the differences on a car running a standard air box.

I have noticed it picks up slightly quicker at high revs, it's so marginal it could be down to placebo....

It's a worthy mod just because of the sound improvement. 1-2 full throttle changes at 4k produce a 'fart' so loud I heard it over the radio. Epic.

• Like 1

Lucifer's car is one of the few big power stage 3 1.4tsi twinchargers 260bhp+ running the Loba 270 hybrid turbo.  But he has had to adapt the head and allsorts to get there, we are into the realms of spending £500 on Okada Plasma Coil packs to solve misfires.  He believes that the restrictions in the head are part of the fundamental reason this engine is hard to take to really high tune.

Another guy in Greece called Queen is running a K04 Hybnrid turbo and has nearly cracked 300bhp.

Expect the race cat swap out is a good solution to gaining more flow.  I am hoping to do this soon at a custom exhaust place, I would like to think with Stage 1 Software there are some gains to be had here.

You seem quite clued up on fabias, if you dont mind im going to pick your brain a little :)

jesus christ, 260-300hp fabias floating around!? that would be utterly mental, i would genuinely be pretty happy with around 220! i'll get looking for a build thread!

i was going to mention uprated coils in the missfire thread, thinking they would be a £200 upgrade (which IMO would be worth while for any car) like on skyline RB engines... didnt know they would be that expensive, i guess when youre up at those powers, it isnt an expense, its a necessity, something you really need!

what is the deal with the head? im never going to be aiming this high but im guessing its something to do with emissions?

RE, Sports cat: I have not got a software upgrade yet, im planning on doing this in a couple of months when i get some cash together. im aiming for APR stage 2 software. sports cat and induction kit.

im guessing the car will run fine for the time being without an ecu upgrade? most cars do, some cars dont, some get a CEL light which is easy to get rid of :) i will be using a restricted  90 degree lambada spacer so i dont get CEL lights.

I wouldn't say knowledgeable but I have tried to read up as much as I can on the engine, in an attempt to know what I can safely do with it and how (where possible without just forking out silly money)

Stage 1 and Stage 2 software are fairly similar, Stage 2 just incorporates some small optimisation for the hardware and removal of the CEL.  Most of the gains will come from the physical changes brought about by the hardware.

I run APR and am very happy, they also allow you to upgrade to Stage 2 software  for free (just labour charge to remove the ECU)

Will get some copy and pasting done on the head for you - maybe start a new thread or move this over to a more relevant tuning thread.  It's down to restiction yes, but would need to revisit the thread to tell you how this was overcome.

It doesn't feel any different if I'm honest. The benefits from my ITG probably outweigh any gains from removing the resonator. The ITG made real differences to pickup over the standard filter.

Would be interesting to see the differences on a car running a standard air box.

I have noticed it picks up slightly quicker at high revs, it's so marginal it could be down to placebo....

It's a worthy mod just because of the sound improvement. 1-2 full throttle changes at 4k produce a 'fart' so loud I heard it over the radio. Epic.

thats good to hear, i have a homemade induction kit with the ramair 'Monster' filter sitting in my spare room which im going to fit this weekend.

I wouldn't say knowledgeable but I have tried to read up as much as I can on the engine, in an attempt to know what I can safely do with it and how (where possible without just forking out silly money)

Stage 1 and Stage 2 software are fairly similar, Stage 2 just incorporates some small optimisation for the hardware and removal of the CEL.  Most of the gains will come from the physical changes brought about by the hardware.

I run APR and am very happy, they also allow you to upgrade to Stage 2 software  for free (just labour charge to remove the ECU)

Will get some copy and pasting done on the head for you - maybe start a new thread or move this over to a more relevant tuning thread.  It's down to restiction yes, but would need to revisit the thread to tell you how this was overcome.

cheers for that, i would be really happy to read whatever you send me. If you ever find those threads again, could you PM me them? :) im going to have a look at lunch for lucifers. 

good to hear youre happy with APR, im going to stay away from the likes of revo etc as they seem to cause a lot of trouble..

also i would be up for compiling a tuning thread...

Lucifer wrote this:

3. The oil seal on the oem turbo is weak, and according to turbo dynamics, oil seals cannot be upgraded if the turbo remains the same(even if hybridized), obviously a concern if you want to run a decat or even a sports cat.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4416484
Matthew: also while im at it, whats the deal with these VAG cars, people seem to be literally changing turbos. the cars i know and am used to you need a standalone ECU to swap out a turbo?! is the standard VAG ECU really that good?
Edited by matthewl

mathewl,

are you checking with Skoda UK to see if your 'DSG' requires a 'Field Action' ? 

& Did the Spring and damper get replaced, or did they change both sides?

• Like 1

mathewl,

are you checking with Skoda UK to see if your 'DSG' requires a 'Field Action' ? 

& Did the Spring and damper get replaced, or did they change both sides?

hey george! 

good memory i keep forgetting about this...

the spring and damper have yet to be changed, it was supposed to be in on the 2nd of this month but the parts were on back order... it is booked in for this friday, hopefully the parts are not on back order still..

they did not get back to me about the DSG and ECU update, nor changing both sides... which i thought was a bit chit!

this is why im putting off installing my intake till this weekend + having the car booked in for deres on the weekend also. :)

This is the Oil Change in the DSG now as part of a 'Service Campaign', & the ECU Update that goes with that.

Which is new from last week.

So see what SSC's say on that one.

This is the Oil Change in the DSG now as part of a 'Service Campaign', & the ECU Update that goes with that.

Which is new from last week.

So see what SSC's say on that one.

if it needs doing wont they just do it when its in?

Yes they should after checking with you, that you are OK with that.

The reason i am interested is, 

Currently a 'Service Campaign' in the UK is kind of appearing to be when a car is 'In for a Service'.

For cars that were serviced 2 weeks ago that could be another 50 weeks or so.

For cars serviced outwith the Skoda/VW Dealerships,

that will maybe never.

If it is 'When the car is at a 'Skoda Main Dealer workshop' for any reason, or other Warranty Work,

thats quite good IMO.

Thats what a 'FIELD ACTION' sounds like, but i have only heard that term used today.

& if the Contact all Know Owners / Registered Keepers, or if not possible,

'Do a full Recall'.  

and inform the Registered Owners, with Information provided from the DVLA that would be 

doing things properly.

george