Center Silencer Removed :)

The cut out solution is a bit extreme but switchable exhausts are the ideal.

Finding a more enthusiast friendly mot centre could be easier!

Just a quick update. I had this done today and i think the sound is great. Nice rumble on tickover and great under load. Little fart like sound on gear change and had some pops. I actually think my car seems more responsive on pickup? Cost me £40 and its a good job they done. Highly recommend

• Like 1

If you are worried then it's not worth the risk, enjoy your new back box and maybe look at induction kits / remaps instead? Both of these can adjust how you car sounds without taking a grinder/welder to it!

I already have a performance airfillter which makes it sounds good. My next big thing is a remap

• 3 months later...

Has any one had the centre silencer removed and allowed it to be replaced/swapped? I've seen a few pictures and they all show the silencer cut right to the ends

The rear is easy enough as it already has a clamp but the front has a really awkward bend under the front subframe. I'm sure it's doable I just wondered if any one had done it

Iv done it so the resonator can be put back in when needed.

Pinched from my project thread

Happily, the nice weather allowed me to get back under the car and sort the my middle silencer delete mod out. Which seems to be a popular little mod for the vrs.

Anyways, heres before

DSC_0343_zpsm8nuhmxg.jpg

And heres now

DSC_0787_zpslnhsabh_edit_1399578437247_z

DSC_0792_zpspdfh5ovg.jpg

Interference fit at each end - a pipe expander and a blow torch were needed for that. Was a real sod to do mind!

DSC_0777_zpsloqi1cgk.jpg

I used 2.25" SS tube with 1.5mm wall thickness, in three pieces, 2 x 45deg bends and one 750mm straight length.

DSC_0776_zps7cxdztu4.jpg

Cut and welded them together - the hardest part was cutting the tube square so it all lined up to weld. I then realised after when I changed my mind on how I was doing it, that didn't need to weld all three pieces together but never mind.

Very chuffed with it now. Its got nice smooth bends with no leaks and sounds meaty! :l And it cost less then 40 quid all in!

Has anyone found it does affect fuel usage? My mate had his done and he reckoned the only way the fuel was being affected was because he loved the sound so much he had to rev more.. That was on a mk1 though.. And when it comes to selling.. Would a buyer want the noise to be 'quiet'.. Food for thought maybe..

It affected my fuel useage......Because i was always booting it and upshifting at the magical 4.5k revs for ultimate braaarrrpppss! :sun:

Selling time is food for thought though. Although the biggest dissapointment I had when i first test drove the MK2 was the sound. So depending on the buyer, they may like it!

• Like 2

Iv done it so the resonator can be put back in when needed.

Pinched from my project thread

Looking at getting mine done but it doesn't look like that mine likes a pyramid triangular shape rather than what you have :/ any suggestions it's a 2013 cthe engine

Looking at getting mine done but it doesn't look like that mine likes a pyramid triangular shape rather than what you have :/ any suggestions it's a 2013 cthe engine

I see what you mean but this is what I removed from stock. When I needs to be put back on the car I just need to sleeve clamp it at both ends back to the original exhaust pups

20141124_190536_zpsv7cife5g.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys !

Here I dig up this thread, as I intend to remove the silencer on my vRS.

As I have read here, most of you have it chopped off the original line and some replacement tube welded instead.

Have anyone concidered replacing the full part with the OEM without silencer ? 6Q0253201B

Example for the AUDI A1 CAVG/CTHG : http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-a1-a1-eu-2011-25390-intermediate-pipe-front-silencer-rear-silencer/

These cost from 40 to 80 euros depending on the supplier.

Did someone do it this way ? Can you confirm it works ?

Edited by Woland

• 1 year later...

Thought In would revive this thread just to say I had my center silencer/resonator removed on Friday and I am so happy with the improvement !! Lovely sound , some lovely rasps ,farts and even the odd pop at times. No adverse affects at all!! Even for a middle aged man it put a smile on my face, just wish I had done it ages ago!!  

Even better my local garage (Holbrows in Hadleigh) fitted and balanced four new tyres and done my exhaust for £70.50, Very pleased with them and the job they done.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old post but didnt want to create a new thread for it.

Thinking of getting the centre silencer (resonator?) removed soon & was just wondering if it'd still pass it's MOT with emissions? My mate said they're be implications with it but afaik it doesn't really matter too much. Any words on this?