Lumpy fast idle following misfire.

Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone had any wisdom's on my new (first) issue with my vrs.

I had a few misfires from the engine with a warning light and there for booked the car in for diagnosis. The garage confirmed it had an intermittent misfire in cylinder 3 but couldn't identify why. They've swapped the coils from 3 and 1 around so that if it happens again and it is cylinder 1 they'll know it's the coil pack.

Having got my car back (complete with software upgrade) it has an incredibly lumpy cold idle, and doesn't feel right at all...until I set off and it's fine.

I thought I'd ask here before I send it back to them. They'll need it over night I imagine so that they can start it cold.

So...anyone know what's happening in my engine? Could it be coil pack? Would seem odd to only happen when cold. They checked the plugs apparently and they are fine.

They checked them apparently!  

Best ask again, were the plugs out, & why did they not replace with new ones.

Not a huge cost for 4 plugs, compared to the failure of one.

They would have to check very very closely, the tracking can be seen, but i have checked plugs that someone only looked at the tip and missed sign of tracking.

???

What mileage have the plugs done.?

They would have been as well to have been changed while out, 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/291585-warning-on-spark-plugs-14-tsi-cave-vrs-check-the-spark-plugs

Car's just done 22k. Thanks for the reply.

I would have thought dodgy sparks would present more when hot?

I may ask them to just change them on next trip in as I have a service plan which includes plugs at some point, technically I've already bought them.

The one spark plug that fails will give the Exhaust/Emission Light under load with Super & Turbo below 3,500 rpm, ie While Booting it, maximum boost and lots of heat into 1 cylinder, the one the plug gets cooked in,.

& if it misfires enough, put it into Limp Mode,

and if the plug fails quick enough cause trouble.

The failing plug and misfiring Cylinder does often have a failing Ignition Coil.

But the Plug can cause a misfire on a Start up with no throttle.

Does the car start at 1,100 rpm and drop to 800 rpm in less than 45 seconds.?

Do you run it on 99 ron Petrol, Shell or Tesco,

& at least on Super Unleaded 97 ron?

Plenty plugs have failed at less then 25,000 miles.

The service schedule for the plugs is 40,000 mile, and many are OK till then,

but others are not.

Yes that is how the car starts from cold, although I don't tend to wait 45 secs before heading off.

I use tesco momentum, I practically live opposite tesco.

I'll ring the garage tomorrow and see what they're saying. Do you know of anything other than sparkies and coils it's likely to be? Injectors etc?

Could you just look tomorrow to see if it is starting at 1,100 rpm and then slowly going to 800rpm?

Some have had Fuel Pump Failure,  and some are now mentioning Turbo Inlet Pipes being replaced.

A set of 4 new spark plugs would not go wrong.

If the 4 that come out are perfect, then they are there to provide a spare.

(please at least ask to see them, if not to get them.)

The removed good 3 plugs is what i have used to help out the last few cars with failing plugs which were shown from a Misfire,

but the Skoda & VW Techs said it would not be plugs at such low miles.

george

None of these should be an issue on your 2012 car if it was going well, and then just the Exhaust Emission Light Showing,and just a Misfire.

Turned ignition, waited for needle sweep, started engine, 1100rpm, lumpy lumpy lumpy, soon dropped to 800 in around 45s as you suggested,less lumpy but not right...had to leave for work. :-)

• Like 1

Well I'm handing it over next weekend for further diagnosis and hopefully a fix. I'm getting in return... a Skoda Roomster! Get in!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest from Skoda... one of the spark plugs they checked last time I took it in now looks suspect so they've ordered ONE new plug to see if that cures the problem.

They have agreed that there is a problem with the car which is good.

One new plug. That is a joke. Only have 4 matching new plugs. Order. That also is a bit of a laugh. They are taking the pith.

Mine sounded the same as this when I started it this morning. When applying the accelerator and just revving the car slightly up to 2k revs the engine ran rough. It was fine once I started driving. It's been parked up since Sunday. Only 2 days but it's normally used daily.

I still can't pinpoint anything with my car as to why it would do this on some starts but mostly fine on others. Have just got 4 new bkr7eix plugs to try ASAP and see if it helps

I still can't pinpoint anything with my car as to why it would do this on some starts but mostly fine on others. Have just got 4 new bkr7eix plugs to try ASAP and see if it helps

New plugs in this morning, old plugs were not looking too healthy although at least all of them appeared to still be intact. 

post-93536-0-70258600-1400593580_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks to be a piece missing from cylinder 2's plug? The very tip. Good thing you've changed them. I'm going to ask to see my plug(s) if they were the cause.

Good news. On a side note I forgot what small amounts of power felt like... I don't know what bhp the roomster has but it almost doesn't matter where you put the throttle, nothing really happens. Having said that, a very good cheap all rounder.

• Like 1

Sorry, the poor picture. (i must take better pics of some plugs.)

This is how they go after the tip has gone first then the plug starts to burn out.

But you can even see tracking on the plug in cylinder 3 when you look close.

It really does get cooked.

• Like 1

"...Under warranty terms Skoda can only replace what is faulty..."

Does this sound right as it means I'm only getting ONE spark plug replaced... I'm feeling a little cheated.

I asked politely about getting the whole set replaced and the above paraphrase is what I was told. Do I need to play hardball or will I just be hitting my head against a brick wall.

I suppose they have so many vrs's needing warranty work they are trying to keep costs down.

Grumble grumble grumble.

While they are doing the one plug,

i would pay to have them replace the other 3 plugs. £30 or less.

'Have Skoda pay the Labour for that being done.'

Call Skoda UK Customer Services, question the action of the Dealership,

and if Skoda are only going to pay for one Spark Plug.

Yet Skoda is paying them for already having removed 4,

messed you about',  because they had no plugs in stock,

and could not nip around to the Factors to get one. or 4.

Actually it is not a Faulty Spark Plug by normal Warranty terms,

its just the Plugs last less in many cases by half the 40,000 mile Skoda/Vw Service Schedule

because of the Faulty Engine Design & Engine Management.

Skoda should be happy customers are more clued than their Franchised Dealers and Technicians.

Changing the Plugs because you pick up on Misfires when the ECU does not,

saves Skoda £4,000 on the New Engine that often is required.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. Having got Skoda uk involved, the compression test that was deemed ok is now deemed not ok. So I'm guessing piston rings or valves. SUK want to see photos of the plugs and want the old plug that was replaced sent over for examination.

Awaiting their resolution/diagnosis currently.

Looks like I'll be driving the 1.2 diesel greenline a little longer.

In the early days of the CAVE engine (might have affected the very first Fabias) there was a batch of suspect injectors - any issues with a misfire on a twincharger and they were changed without question (my early 2010 Scirocco had them changed).  When they were still trying to find the problem on the Scirocco, I was getting a set of 4 plugs changed each time (about every 1000 miles at best - sometimes 100 miles) by VW, under warranty.  Problem then was the VAG computer calling the wrong plugs off at service time (started playing up after the 38k service), but they never replaced just one plug.

My valve issue - but it was complete instant loss of compression on one cylinder:

IMG_0189_zpsdf2fbe86.jpg

• Like 2