Fabia Recall

I was told today that my car was due to be recalled to have the gearbox oil changed. But couldn't be done just yet because the part they needed to do it is on back order!

Anyone else had this? Mines a 11 plate Fabia vRS.

• Like 1

Good heads up,

This must be the recall that VW said the DQ200's in the UK would not need.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/vw-uk-no-dsg-recall-required

Unless there is some mix up with the dealers.

Please keep us informed.

FULL DETAILS OF THE WORK TO BE CARRIED OUT IS RATHER IMPORTANT,

ie,

WHAT PARTS, IS THIS NEW SEALS FOR THE SEALED FOR LIFE GEARBOX,

or THE TOOLS/PARTS THE DEALERSHIPS REQUIRE TO CARRY OUT THE WORK 
ON THE VEHICLES.

**Personally, i would not be letting them near a perfectly good gearbox, to change Synthetic Oil to Mineral.**

But thats just me not trusting them.**

If they are going too, i want the Warranty extended to 100,000 miles on the Gearbox.

Is it a Recall.

or a To Be Done at Service type Call them in?

http://dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls

• Like 2

My car was in yesterday and when I went to the garage to pick it up, I was told that they'd just been notified on Tuesday evening that a recall was due for some Fabia's. I asked what year's were affected, and he just said it's done/depends on the chassis number. I thought it might have been from 10 to 12 plate or something.

• Like 1

So is yours one of those to be Recalled by Chassis Number,

or do you not know yet if yours has to go in ?

It is the Sealed for life oil in the DQ200 7 speed dry clutch DSG that is Synthetic

& that was blamed for problems in other countries

and they were putting in Mineral Oil as the recall.

Other DQ200 DSG had Electrical Faults.

Please ask and get in writing,

what is to be done and why, and what parts are being changed,

& is your Warranty on the DSG & Engine to be extended.

george

Nothing to do really with just vRS ,

It was a 1.67 Million Recall world wide originally,

no idea now what or which or what possible faults.

EDIT.

2.64 million.

http://autoblog.com/2013/11/14/vw-worldwide-engine-light-recall

With around 2,800 Mk2 Fabia vRS in the UK, 1,800 CAVE/DSG

& 1,000 CTHE/DSG

it will be interesting to see how many are recalled.

Then all the other Fabias that might have DSG that are part of the recall, if they are?

george

• Like 1

Not being a tw4t folks but would buying a used Mk2 fabia Vrs be a gamble with some having engine oil issues and maybe gearbox recalls now.? 

Yes is the simple answer.  But buying any used car is a gamble - some just have worse odds than others.

• Like 1

I think "Fabia recall" is a bit misleading for what is practically a premature DSG oil change isn't it? The thread's title suggests the entire car being recalled which is far from true and now some non-MKII vRS owners seem really worried...

Anyway, I was at the dealer on Monday and while the car was connected on the diagnostics bench I was also told there was this DSG oil change action issued by Skoda, for a certain batch of DSG7 equipped cars, probably not a vRS thing then.

?

Premature to what oil change,

when is the Oil Scheduled for being changed in a DQ200 DSG in a vRS?

If it is a 'recall'  and because of a Safety Issue,

Skoda/VW should be writing to Registered Keepers of the effected vehicles with the information of the Vehicle 

from the DVLA in the case of the UK.

&

if it is a Safety Issue, surely a Recall on the VOSA System.

**Not just word of mouth from some Skoda/VW Dealership Service reception desk staff.**

Then Skoda/VW would need to set out fully in writting , the Problem and the solution,

Is it a Design, Manufacturing/component fault or issue,

are they now going to extend warranties on the DSG as they did in other World Regions?

Then how they are dealing with it,

Covering the Expense of the Car going to the Repair Workshop, what is being done,

make the arrangements for the courtesy car etc.

Surely once VW knew of the issues with DSG Worldwide, they made changes to the Gearboxes, Components,manufacturing and fluids, and these newer DSG will not have the same issues.

• Like 1

Never probably as it's filled for lifetime, wrong word there. My point was it doesn't classify as a recall since no parts are being replaced, unless you count new oil as a "part". Also, I have not been contacted by Skoda for this and neither has anyone whose car could be affected as far as I know. It only showed up when the car ran a diagnostic. From this I understand it is more of a precautionary action and that if it was a safety issue, owners would be contacted, rather than waiting for them to pass dy a dealership or experience the failure that this oil change is meant to prevent. I wouldn't go as far as stating this is the same issue DSG boxes had in other regions as I don't have that knowledge.

Its who is doing it, and why, and what parts are required.

Easy enough for VW/Skoda to put in writing.

Full Media Press Release, and give the Numbers for the Vehicles covered by the 'Technical Recall.'

I would be expecting a fully Trained Skoda/VW technician and not some fitter,

unless being supervised by a Fully Trained Skoda/VW Technician.

('Factory Trained' as they like to call them, no Idea by what Factory this gets done at .!)

Are Seals to be replaced, or required to where Synthetic Oil Previously was and now Mineral oil replaces it,

if that is one of the issues.

If the Gearbox Life might be reduced, or issues might develop, must the work be carried out,

or are VW just going to allow the Owner to continue to use it.

Will they only Extend the Warranty in Countries where the Government or Dealerships Forced them too.?

george

• Like 1

All interesting questions, which I'm afraid I can't answer...

Thing is though, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Australia, China etc. recalls where actual gearbox recalls no? Meaning they replaced the entire box rather than just do an oil change as is the case here. 

• Like 1

I think "Fabia recall" is a bit misleading for what is practically a premature DSG oil change isn't it? The thread's title suggests the entire car being recalled which is far from true and now some non-MKII vRS owners seem really worried...

Anyway, I was at the dealer on Monday and while the car was connected on the diagnostics bench I was also told there was this DSG oil change action issued by Skoda, for a certain batch of DSG7 equipped cars, probably not a vRS thing then.

Sorry if you think I've misled people with the thread title there, I was simply putting it how the dealer put it to me. He had a piece of paper in front of him explaining why it needed work doing but I didn't see what it said completely. It said something about electrolysis, deposits being left and needing to drain the oil and replace.

So when he said 'your vehicle is being recalled sir' I presumed others would be too. I didn't mean to worry anyone. I probably should have put Fabia vRS gearbox recall or something, if a mod could change it for me?

And I think it's just for the DSG7 boxes, so manual owners aren't affected.

• Like 1

MillsyVRS,

I am Grateful you posted.

There are 'Recalls' on DQ200 DSG's   & it is because of Safety Issues.

'When is a Recall not a Recall, ?

When it is a Volkswagen Manufactured Parts Recall' in Europe!

They just do not make Public the issues, and like to not comiting to Paper incase of Legal Matters,  as in,

the need to be truthful and admit to their failings,

But if there is need to

Call In DSG Gearboxes and Modify or Change Oil, they will need to.

george

Things get more coverage in Australia,

maybe the Motoring Magazines & Publishers worry less about the 'Volkswagen Group', Seat, Audi, Skoda, VW pulling Advertising or something like that.

http://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/skoda-audi-owners-dark-dsg-recall

Autocar, Auto Express and the likes do not seem to have given it much publicity since last June when they Published the, 'Recall not required in Europe' articles

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall

I've just had mine done as part of a service yesterday. They underestimated the time it would take to do the job, so had to keep the car for two days. Mine is a 2010 CAVE.

My invoice states:

Carried out campaign 34FZ-0099-1-001 gear oil for DSG replaced.

Gear oil R+R

Software update of gearbox

000010006 C25L Sticker (qty 1)

G052512A2 H14E Transm.oil (qty 2)

The car feels pretty much the same to drive after the work was done.

• Like 1

Cheers for that.

Did they let you know about it being done at the time of booking the Service.

Is that near 2 years you have had the car now?

How many miles has it now done?

No, I only found out after I had already dropped the car off on Wednesday morning. The garage were only told about the recall on Tuesday, so I don't think all the staff were fully aware. Mine was the third one they had done.

Yes, I've had the car for nearly 2 years. I bought it on 6/12 with 14k miles. It now has 26k. (I don't do many miles). Other than high-ish oil usage (1l per 3000 miles), I've had no problems with it.

• Like 1

It's classed as one of those Workshop Campaigns.

Involves replacing the original synthetic oil with mineral oil and a software update and (I think) an "adaptions roadtest".

Became active when searching via chassis number at the beginning of the week but only got put on Desktop today or late yesterday.

Issue is the suction bottle to get rid of the old oil is/was on backorder as is the proper filling device fitment. Which is always handy!

Don't think it'll be a safety critical recall and show on the VOSA website as I believe the TPI says if the fault occurs the vehicle won't lock in gear/stop abruptly but will loose drive so you can pull over to the side of the road.

Says something about the oil causing deposits via electrolysis which can cause the mechatronic unit to short out internally and pop the fuse.

No seals or other items need to be replaced AFAIK.

• Like 1

Involves replacing the original synthetic oil with mineral oil and a software update and (I think) an "adaptions roadtest".

Says something about the oil causing deposits via electrolysis which can cause the mechatronic unit to short out internally and pop the fuse.

Yes! That was it, thanks! That's what the reason was.