Fabia Recall

My car is having MOT and service today 11 plate vrs.

I was told that the "upgrade" consists of:

Oil change,

Rebuild

Software update

and

"adaptive drive"

I was advised the instructon was received 8/5/14, and that because its a recall, the warranty period doesn't matter.

hope this helps my gear box stuttering in 1st etc

Mat

Edited by vulgatrendkill
  • Like 1

A 'Recall' will be when the contact the Registered Keepers,  

because many with cars out of the Original 3 (or 2) year Manufacturer Warranty will possibly have their cars Serviced at Independent Garages, as is their right in the EU Free Market,

& might even have Extended Warranties with Companies with no connection to Skoda/VW.

So unless Skoda make an announcement or make contact with car owners of those that are effected or may be, many owners might not hear or be any the wiser.

So a 'Slow SKODA DEALERSHIP Workshop Campaign'  might suit Skoda or Skoda UK,

and to think that a Failure of drive while driving on the likes of a Motorway is not a 'Safety Issue',  is them taking the Mick and VOSA letting them away with it.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.  

Lets not say too much about it, treat them like Mushrooms.

• Like 2

Called supplying dealer - my May 2013 Fabian VRS is subject to a Recall - though neither Skoda UK or the supplying dealer have bothered to contact me

Dealer informs me it is 1 and a half hour job with oil change to gearbox and software ecu update

Luckily am going in for 1 year service in 2 weeks time so will be done then.

Annoyed that I have not been contacted by phone or email either by Skoda UK or the supplying dealer and it is only because of this forum that I knew anything about it - but perhaps VAG really are trying to keep it quiet?

Dealer attempted to evade the issue by saying that it would be picked up automatically and done automatically at the service

Not sure if that is true,

Even if it is true , not sure it is good enough.

I've spoke to a member of Mr Stewart team who currently dealing with my current case. Asked if there a recall on my car and there is. He said it was issued on 5th of May but thinks its not a safety recall and that is why we have not had letter. He told me it would usually flag up on your dealers computer when they are servicing or carrying work out on your car. Any members that don't have their car serviced by a dealer I would call them up to check.

Mine is being done next week when it has its engine replaced.

as has been mentioned, this is very shoddy as your under no obligation to use Skoda dealers for your servicing and therefore might miss out on this very important fix

im baffled as to how they can get away with it, for all the bad press Toyota and the like have had in the recent past at least there open and honest about issues

im not gonna contact them and see what happens

• Like 1

Why would cars produced 2 years after the ones that other World Wide announcements be part of the 'Service Campaign' in the UK?

2009- July 2011.

• Like 1

I know what the posts say and the links.

Surely Skoda/VW would ensure the earliest cars owners where contacted first,

those with vehicles built in 2010-2011 with cars now out of Manufacturers Warranty,

and some coming up for 4 years since built.

Those might be the owners less likely to be into a Skoda Dealership for an Annual Service.

That would mean Skoda Getting 'Registered Keepers' Address or Contact from the DVLA,

and VOSA agreeing it is an actual Safety Concern.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.  

Head in the Sand.   Can not tell their Arse from the Elbow.

Now what is the difference in New Zealand,

other than VW/SKODA claimed it was Climatic Conditions, and no need for a recall in the UK.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Same month in 2013,  different sides of the world.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall

• Like 1

If they know of a problem that might cause a sudden loss of power then all owners should be notified immediately and a full safety recall issued.

IMO

Simples

Yes simple.

Pretending it is not a Safety Issue is a Skoda/VW thing, that is what they have got VOSA to agree to,

so they just have to do a 'Service Campaign', rather than a 'UK Recall'. on vehicles that may be effected.

So is there a problem with after July 2011 builds, ?

and is there a PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT from SKODA UK,

even an Announcement on cars with DSG that might be affected built between 2009-2011.

Anything on SKODA UK Websites,

or PRESS RELEASES to the UK MEDIA & MOTORING JOURNALS?

Anything in the UK from the 5th May 2014,

because ALASDAIR STEWART BRAND DIRECTOR SKODA UK has made announcements on

UK sales in the first quarter and the likes,

Stuff on Customer Satisfaction,

& top 3 places in Surveys etc,

Now you might think a mention of a 'Service Campaign' might have been mentioned easily enough.

• Like 2

George - as the Autocar article points out , Skoda have agreed with VOSA that the problem is not a safety issue in the UK because the problems of power loss due to electrolyte build-up has only been recorded in countries with extreme climactic conditions and these incidents have not been replicated in the UK.

So perhaps VAG think they are doing a good thing by taking preventative measures and doing a workshop recall on the affected cars just to be on the safe side.

I am no chemist and have no idea if ambient temperatures would affect the build up of electrolytes in synthetic oil - perhaps other Briskodians could comment

But I will get the work done just for peace of mind

And IMO if there is any doubt whatsoever - which it appears to me there might be - a full safety recall should have been issued anyway

That Autocar article is 11 months old.

the first cars possibly effected in the UK are over 4 years old, and the vRS are 4 year old next month,

so if you are looking at the possible cars that might be most effected, Skoda have had 12 months plus to contact UK Registered Keepers.

Saying you should have no concerns, or we are reviewing the matter and will implement a Service Campaign if needs must.

They have had time to prepare Press Releases.

Like for now.  Fess up and give the correct information to the vehicle Drivers & owners.

So some facts given out Officially by Skoda UK will give the answers,

is it Builds from 2009-July 2011,

Or does it cover vehicles built and sold in the UK after that,?

So far on this thread there are two 2013 cars confirmed

Mine is May 2013 and there is a September 2013

So the question is - when did Skoda start building the VRS without synthetiic oils in the DSG gearbox ? Or have they even started to?

• Like 1

I'm a little with George... my gearbox works fine... why fix it..... do we have any other info about WHY exactly this is being done?

I have to disagree sharky. Unless someone really has the theoretical background to decide, based on scientific facts, if this recall is or is not important for his car, why take his chances by ignoring it even though it will carried out at 0 cost for him? I just don't understand it. The DSG is a rather complex mechatronic unit which I believe has to be treated with care as most mechatronic systems anyway, it's not just nuts and bolts imho. I would suppose there's only a few people aware of how these systems exactly work, what are their sensitivities etc. even at a dealership, that could say responsibly how serious it is or it isn'. And "precautionary" would be serious enough for me to give them a call If I hadn't found out already.

Sure, if it breaks down due to this fault and you hadn't been notified by Skoda you could have a case. The question is, do you really have all the time that will be needed to get towed in, argue with Skoda, prove it's not your fault, find a replacement car, wait for the repair, then wait some more, then finally get your car back, all because you felt angry they didn't contact you and decided you wouldn't either as a payback for their bad aftersales service? I think that's one of the main reasons why we hang around in forums in the first place, to be always up to date with how cars are doing.

Also, all cars run fine before they show up a fault/warning light/ or start behaving strange right? What does that tell us?  ;)

Of course, anybody decides on his own what he does with his car.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

I am the registered keeper of 2 vRS,

and they both have wonderful gearboxes that are going no place near Skoda Dealerships or Workshops,

for some 'Factory Trained Technician' to touch.

If they are faulty in the future, Skoda will be fitting new Gearboxes with properly Trained Master Technicians doing the work.

The cars are Serviced as to the Recommended Service Schedule so far,

THAT IS THE SERVICE SCHEDULE AS OF 2010 untill TODAY as far as i know,

and if Skoda/VW are changing the recommended Service Regime or requirements,

then it will be up to them to let Owners know of changes,

since it is not a Requirement in the UK to have Manufacturers Dealers service vehicles.

george

George - is an oil change, even on a DSG box, and an ecu update really that risky? - genuine question as I am not a mechanic

Any job where your vRS drives into a Skoda Dealership workshop is risky.

Some can not Dip the oil or send the car out with the correct oil level at Services or Oil Consumption Tests.

Some can not Check or change Spark Plugs or do a simple diagnostic correctly,

or apply ECU updates as and when required.

Each to your own, you need to trust them if you choose.

I do not even trust the Service Desk to know what your car is or what service is required.

??

So do the UK DSG Service Campaign include a new Mechatronics Control Unit, or not?

george