'service campaign' DQ200 DSG Oil Change,ECU update, Fabias in UK.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/314923-fabia-recall

NOT ONLY FABIA's,  There are other Skoda models with the same DQ200 DSG,

but this is the Fabia section.

**No idea which cars or build dates are to be part of a 'Service Campaign; in the UK.**

But in New Zealand,

Skoda seem to have set out which vehicles they were going to deal with,

at no cost to the Customers,  no mention of being done at the time of a car going in for Annual Servicing. Just a Contact number and Advice for those that might have vehicles requiring action.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

This is from June 2013 in New Zealand.

They say they are 'Sending a letter to owners'.

SEAT CEO speaking on SKY last Year, he said customers would receive 'advice' & a letter & Dealers would contact people.

http://news.sky.com/story/1168639/vw-recalls-2.6m-cars-worldwide-over-faults

So maybe best to Enquire with 'Skoda UK Customer Services' to see if your vehicle requires work to change the oil in the DSG.

Or you could ask a Skoda Dealership Service Reception,

but maybe better to ask the people who are 

Paying for the work to be done, Skoda, and ask how they are covering your Expenses to take the Vehicle in

if you are not Having the Car Serviced with Skoda Dealerships, 

& what extended Warranty cover Skoda are going to provide for your Gearbox if the car is out of the 

Original Manufacturers Warranty.

It would be easier if Skoda UK did a Press Release & some Adverts giving Information

on Which Vehicles are Effected, Chassis Numbers and Period or Production.

June 2013,

and VW were saying this would not be required in the UK. So maybe a similar Up-Date Article 

in the Motoring Media & General Media would be in order.

Just to give the need to have work done now in the UK

as much coverage as the 'No need', was given.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-uk-why-we-dont-need-dsg-recall

• Like 2

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/64097/everything-you-need-know-about-car-recalls

But it is not a 'Recall' 

because Skoda/VW seem to have convinced DfT/VOSA that a 'Service Campaign' is sufficient.

So its a 'Silent Campaign'

or 'Service Campaign' from Skoda UK it appears,

http://autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/84572/volkswagen-recall-25-million-cars-affected

http://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/skoda-audi-owners-dark-dsg-recall

'Recall' is the Term used in Australia for what is said to be the under 1,800 Skodas Recalled back in 2013

http://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/volkswagen-finally-apologises-poor-handling-dsg-drama

Maybe some lessons for

ALASDAIR STEWART BRAND DIRECTOR SKODA UK

to learn from.

Just had this e mail back from Skoda uk

Thank you for your email dated 10 May 2014 regarding any recalls on your ŠKODA Fabia.

I can confirm that there are two outstanding Field Actions that need to be completed by your ŠKODA Retailer and I have listed them below:

34F7 S-Gear oil replacement

74C7 W-Heater element

I would recommend that you get these completed by a ŠKODA Retailer at your earliest convenience.

Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good

• Like 1

The recall / outstanding actions Andy had are interesting. Mines an 2011 and just been serviced and came back with no recalls required. So ive sent a email to skoda uk just ask if there is anything outstanding on my car. I ll what they come back with.

Just been on the phone with SUK. Mine is a 2012 CAVE and is not affected by this campaign. It is only a very small number that need the change and it is not a safety issue, just a precautionary measure in case we get a very hot summer here which may cause the oil to overheat and blow a fuse in the mechatronics.

Skoda UK DO read this forum and are aware of all these threads, and will contact anyone who has one of the affected units directly. :thumbup:

Edited by Gumby
  • Like 1

Great,  but it shows how they try to spin a story.

A very hot summer is a Joke,

Because if you ask them the Difference in the Engine & Gearbox temp if the Ambient Temp for the day is 20 *oC or 30*oC

they might stuggle to tell you.

There are plenty owners here that have had cars showing a 115*oC indicated Oil Temperatures on normal Weather Days in the UK. Or driving their cars on Mainland Europe.

& Oil Temps around the 100 *oC 0 120*oC is not uncommon.

OzFabia

can maybe tell us his Indicated Oil Temps in Australia on days of near 40*oC

I know his car is not running that much hotter than some of us have here on a 23*0C day.

Skoda just say any old thing.

They need to Publish the Chassis Numbers & the Dates of the Builds that have Synthetic Oil in

& the ones with Mineral oil in.

No need for a 'Secret Campaign',

just Publish the Models & Vehicles that may be Affected & Require the 'Service Campaign'

Field Action.,

SKODA UK IS NOT IN A POSITION TO CONTACT ALL OWNERS THAT MIGHT HAVE A CAR THAT MIGHT BE AFFACTED,

& HAVE SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE DQ200 DSG GEARBOX FROM THE FACTORY.

Unless it is a 'Recall'  DVLA do not give them the Vehicle Registered Keepers details.

Skoda UK will have the Details of who bought cars or have them Serviced by Skoda Dealerships only.

CARS CAN HAVE CHANGED HANDS SEVERAL TIMES & NOT GO TO A SKODA DEALERSHIP.

So what happens if there is a 'Hot Summer' & a fuse blows on a car where they had no way 

to contact the owner or driver.

THEY WILL BE OK ACCORDING TO SKODA, WITHOUT DRIVE THEY CAN JUST ROLL TO A SAFE POSITION AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

Just make it up as you go along, it will go away if you wait long enough.

• Like 1

<OzFabia

I know his car is not running that much hotter than some of us have here on a 23*0C day.>

Under 110 even if I'm going on a sustained uphill run and/or working it hard.

• Like 2

heres a question as im a total n00b about car mechanics, if the fuse goes or whatever might happen, would the car roll/free wheel? or would it lock and we'd skid like to a halt?

Edited by the mad monk
  • Like 1

heres a question as im a total n00b about car mechanics, if the fuse goes or whatever might happen, would the car roll/free wheel? or would it lock and we'd skid like to a halt?

The following extract is taken from the VW Australia Voluntary DSG (DQ200) Recall FAQ: -

Q. If I have an affected model can I still continue to drive it?

A. Yes, owners can continue to drive their vehicles as usual before the replacement. In the event of a power interruption occurring, the vital vehicle systems such as steering and braking will continue to be fully functional allowing the driver to safely manoeuvre the car to a complete stop. If this occurs we encourage drivers to call Volkswagen Assist (1800 637 181) or your roadside assistance provider.

Note:  Don't call the above telephone number if you are in the UK. You may have a long wait!

• Like 1

ive had a reply from the DVSA stating the following

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 13th May 2014, concerning Skoda
Fabia VRS gearbox oil.

We have forwarded your enquiry to the Vehicle Safety Branch who will

endeavour to respond to you within 5 working days from the date of this

email.

so lets see what happens now, any1 else had one of these replies?

Edited by the mad monk
  • Like 1

Great,  but it shows how they try to spin a story.

A very hot summer is a Joke,

Because if you ask them the Difference in the Engine & Gearbox temp if the Ambient Temp for the day is 20 *oC or 30*oC

they might stuggle to tell you.

There are plenty owners here that have had cars showing a 115*oC indicated Oil Temperatures on normal Weather Days in the UK. Or driving their cars on Mainland Europe.

& Oil Temps around the 100 *oC 0 120*oC is not uncommon.

OzFabia

I know his car is not running that much hotter than some of us have here on a 23*0C day.

Skoda just say any old thing.

They need to Publish the Chassis Numbers & the Dates of the Builds that have Synthetic Oil in

& the ones with Mineral oil in.

No need for a 'Secret Campaign',

just Publish the Models & Vehicles that may be Affected & Require the 'Service Campaign'

Field Action.,

SKODA UK IS NOT IN A POSITION TO CONTACT ALL OWNERS THAT MIGHT HAVE A CAR THAT MIGHT BE AFFACTED,

& HAVE SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE DQ200 DSG GEARBOX FROM THE FACTORY.

Unless it is a 'Recall'  DVLA do not give them the Vehicle Registered Keepers details.

Skoda UK will have the Details of who bought cars or have them Serviced by Skoda Dealerships only.

CARS CAN HAVE CHANGED HANDS SEVERAL TIMES & NOT GO TO A SKODA DEALERSHIP.

So what happens if there is a 'Hot Summer' & a fuse blows on a car where they had no way 

to contact the owner or driver.

THEY WILL BE OK ACCORDING TO SKODA, WITHOUT DRIVE THEY CAN JUST ROLL TO A SAFE POSITION AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

Just make it up as you go along, it will go away if you wait long enough.

Totally agree with the comments above.

What is the likely outcome of the malfunction in the gearbox . Can VAG describe under what condition the failure is likely to happen. i.e.  at speed, crawling ,accelerating , braking .cold / hot etc........ low mileage or high........

OUTSIDE LANE OF BUSY MOTORWAY WITH LANES CHOCK-A BLOCK!!

As with Big Sheep, accelerating away from a roundabout with a car up his bumper!!

This is undoubtedly a Safety Running issue and should be dealt by VAG/Skoda as such.

Come on VOSA GET ON TOP OF THIS ISSUE!!

Ask yourself "DO I TRUST THIS "DRIVE BY WIRE SITUATION WITH MY FAMILY ON BOARD" frankly NO!!

Perhaps MR Alasdair Stewart-Brand Director Skoda UK, would like to have a trail, for a few thousand miles, in a Customer car that has experienced the "Brown Trouser Moment" .

Taking his family out on a regular basis and feeling confident that a Malfunction won't happen to him.

Why don't you take up the Challenge Mr Stewart and sample how your affected Customers are feeling right now.

I have a song for Mr Alasdair Stewart & the Skoda/VW representatives that Convinced VOSA that a 

car losing Power or having an Interruption of Power is not safety critical.

• Like 2

Well had the work done today. I cant really notice a difference to be honest, not a gearbox difference anyway I have had a full service done today so im just noticing the differences of having that done. At skodas expense which makes it sweeter.

• Like 1

Th3Grinch

So whats done,

Synthetic in the DSG changed to Mineral,  Stamp in the Service book, and date of DSG Service Action.

Any Sticker under the bonnet to show its done?

Did you ever get Paperwork, to confirm the Engine Replacement, is the Mileage of the change in the Service Book,

anything done with the DVLA?

Nothing for the dvla as apparently its the same numbers. I have it written in the book when it was changed (Date and mileage) It is signed by the service manager. Didnt notice a sticker to be honest. Still waiting for the full invoice of engine replacement

Re gearbox campaign;

Recall 34F7 Gear oil replacement (replace gearbox oil, update software and mechatronic basic settings. Test all ok)

SG052512A2 transm.oil

S000010006 sticker

Thats on the invoice so I guess I do have a sficker somewhere.

On another note, what does the term 'short engine' mean, i thought it to mean everything below the head. I have been told today by the master tech when i took him out in it that my 'short engine' is EVERYTHING including the head, which it is. Only the ancillaries have been kept.

Also what oil had the code zwlp1

Short Engines were Blocks & Internals, so below the head.

We have a Senior Skoda Employee that contacted a member and said,

No Short Units are supplied from the Factory.  Only Remanufactured Units.

• Like 1

No, i have looked and done searches, shows nothing.

Were do you get 'zwlp1'  from.  where is it in print?