'service campaign' DQ200 DSG Oil Change,ECU update, Fabias in UK.

Totally agree with the comments above.

What is the likely outcome of the malfunction in the gearbox . Can VAG describe under what condition the failure is likely to happen. i.e.  at speed, crawling ,accelerating , braking .cold / hot etc........ low mileage or high........

OUTSIDE LANE OF BUSY MOTORWAY WITH LANES CHOCK-A BLOCK!!

As with Big Sheep, accelerating away from a roundabout with a car up his bumper!!

This is undoubtedly a Safety Running issue and should be dealt by VAG/Skoda as such.

Come on VOSA GET ON TOP OF THIS ISSUE!!

Ask yourself "DO I TRUST THIS "DRIVE BY WIRE SITUATION WITH MY FAMILY ON BOARD" frankly NO!!

I'm not excusing that there is a fault that ought to be dealt with but I really don't see it as a safety issue. Over my driving career I've twice experienced both the loss of drive in the outside lane of a busy motorway; firstly when an engine blew which meant I had to dip the clutch so had no drive and more recently when a clutch failed.  In both cases stuffing a left indicator on and "making" a gap worked.  No brown trousers needed. I've also had a clutch fail when pulling onto a roundabout, I just coasted to a gentle halt and then sheepishly hopped out and pushed the car off the roundabout. Perhaps its an age thing and I can remember when cars weren't so reliable and know how to deal with these situations and don't put myself in a position where if something were to occur I wouldn't be able to safely recover. 

Are you going to ditch your Mk3 Octavia? Do you know how many "drive by wire" systems it has? I'm not aware of very many (if any) cars that have been sold in the UK this century that don't have at least one drive by wire system.

You probably had double luck and were on the flat or downhill.

It can happen with a blow out or any incident and people will have to cope.

VW/Skoda know the possibility is there on cars that people think are built the same as the,

"if only everything in life was as reliable as a golf."

To that wonderful standard.

I had a beaut on the M8.

heading north near junction 10, up hill section with a slip road joining, 4 lanes, and the rear propshaft came off a Bright orange 110 landrover, and the prop shaft was bouncing onto the road.

3 lanes busy inside, and no Hard Shoulder even though called the M8.

Now i have had car problems plenty, but i near filled my pants that time.

'They' are fixing them as they see people to tell them.

Not advertising the fact though.

Not even letting people know which vehicles so as they can Contact Customer Services or Dealerships.

So 4 year oil models might never have any 'Field Action' taken.

Cars are sitting for sale on Dealers Forecourts or by Private Sale and might never have any 

notice given of possible problems, if there is no Full Recall'.

I'm not excusing that there is a fault that ought to be dealt with but I really don't see it as a safety issue. Over my driving career I've twice experienced both the loss of drive in the outside lane of a busy motorway; firstly when an engine blew which meant I had to dip the clutch so had no drive and more recently when a clutch failed.  In both cases stuffing a left indicator on and "making" a gap worked.  No brown trousers needed. I've also had a clutch fail when pulling onto a roundabout, I just coasted to a gentle halt and then sheepishly hopped out and pushed the car off the roundabout. Perhaps its an age thing and I can remember when cars weren't so reliable and know how to deal with these situations and don't put myself in a position where if something were to occur I wouldn't be able to safely recover. 

Are you going to ditch your Mk3 Octavia? Do you know how many "drive by wire" systems it has? I'm not aware of very many (if any) cars that have been sold in the UK this century that don't have at least one drive by wire system.

I have been a loyal Skoda OWNER since my 1st Fabia Comfort -manual in 2000, with MK1 vRS 2003,MK1 SE 2007 manual  followed by my 2010 MK2 which I had until 2012-28000 miles on the clock and of course DSG. Never feeling totally comfortable with the DSG,( but had no option, as you know if I wanted the vRS EXPERIENCE) and lack of driver control and having had one or two hesitational   experiences.

Replaced the MK 2, just as I was starting to experience high oil consumption and was reading and hearing of the owners experience with this Powertrain , so decided to minimise my losses and get back into a better overall and more trustworthy package by PX with an OCTAVIA MK2 TDI -manual.

This was followed by the px with the current, Octavia vRS MK3 TSI - MANUAL.

Yes I'm totally aware of the amount of electronic systems there are in my MK3 Octavia, but I am now feeling much more in control and comfortable with my manual box . To date in the 8000 miles of pleasurable and trusting ownership.

I have had no problems or "BROWN TROUSER EXPERIENCES".

I am glad, for your sake ,reading your experiences, that you were lucky enough to pull over and get out unharmed,and perhaps you are one of a small % that do not panic in such circumstances.

However, even the best, (Mr SENNA), couldn't avoid a failure ,even though it wasn't a DRIVE BY WIRE one  or indeed in 3 lanes ,with drivers of varying driving skills and ability in rush hour / racetrack mode got to get there quick attitude.

Enjoy your Fabia vRS MK2 DSG. and I hope you experience many miles of safe quick controlled driving.

I got a message from Mitchells on Thursday last week asking me to contact them regarding a possible recall on the Fabia, I will call tomorrow and ask what it is all about. I am guessing it is gearbox oil...

I got a message from Mitchells on Thursday last week asking me to contact them regarding a possible recall on the Fabia, I will call tomorrow and ask what it is all about. I am guessing it is gearbox oil...

Oh! They call it a "Recall" then not a "service campaign".

Called Mitchells today to find out why they want the Fabia in, as suspected the gearbox oil has to be changed from synthetic to mineral oil. Reason given is because synthetic oil is conductive and can short the mechatronic unit. 

Booked in and dropping off a week on Thursday.

I had mine done today. I have a CAVE engine ( see above comment about not being needed- My engine and gearbox were replaced last year) Car went in for other work, but received a phone call to say that it had to have recall work done on gearbox oil ("recall 34F7"). No difference really, apart from slowing down to a roundabout and there was a delay from 6th gear into 3rd. Significant for me to notice and think what is it playing at?! That's about it though. Probably a result of it being reset during recall work and getting used to my driving? Who knows.

This really is a very 'Silent Campaign'.  were some owners of cars that have had issues for the past few years,

& where they raised concerns with Dealers, but were told the Tech could find nothing wrong with the DSG,

& these owners now hear nothing about 'Service Campaigns' or 'Field Actions', 

but newer cars that happen to be in for a Service get told and have Field Action on their cars.

They might just be missing the cars most likely to have an 'Interruption of power' and Loss of Drive'.

• Like 1

I only noticed this morning, after having had the oil replacement and dsg ecu update, when pulling the stick from P to R (brakes obviously applied) the car feels as if it's trying to move but immediately gets halted, as if the clutch is much more abrupt but only during this specific switch from P to R, not during gear changes. Anybody else noticed this after the campaign?  I'll have to see if I can reproduce it every time I reverse.

PS. Ok, a correction. Was out trying it and it's not exactly as if the car tries to move, but rather that something "locks" into place and it just more apparent than before the service. Maybe nothing important in the end...

Edited by newbie69

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear that Dealers are being Proactive getting in touch with Owners on their Records..

It is a Pitty that Skoda have not done a 'Recall' so that the DVLA give them Registered Keepers 

contact, for those that have no contact with Skoda Dealerships.

http://dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls

Was that just a call to let you know there is a 'Service Campaign',

without you due to have it in for a Scheduled Annual Service or expected to pay them for any work?

Another member yesterday mentioned that he has 2 years Warranty on the DSG after the work has been done,

it would be interesting to hear his details or anything else anyone has been told about Skoda having to Extend Warranties on

DSG's now that some have been found to have had the Wrong oil in for up to 4 years and the possibility of Failure 

of the Mechatronics Control Unit.

george

• Like 1

They told me a few weeks ago when I had my car there for another reason that they needed it. They'd just been waiting for the part to come back in stock before they could do it. So it's just going in for that.

• Like 2

As a 2010 Octavia 1.6TDI/DSG owner, could I suggest the moderators allow/provide a "sticky" for this "hot" issue currently.

I have also been asked to bring the car in for;

First a free 1 hr check-up

Then when the lassie was entering the details on the computer

The car was to be collected and taken in for a full working day.

The lassie referred to it as a "recall" issue.

Marcus

• Like 1

They told me a few weeks ago when I had my car there for another reason that they needed it. They'd just been waiting for the part to come back in stock before they could do it. So it's just going in for that.

That would be the special "Bottle Tool" given to dealers, to do the extractions of the current oil and in reverse replacement with the new.

I spoke to my dealer earlier today about this issue and was told that they 'were unable to tell me if my car needs it's until it comes into the workshop, we are not allowed to solicit our customers. . . . also Skoda have not issued us with the proper tool for the job, we have to hand pump it out which can take an hour or more. . . . .', not very useful when you have to book the car in for a service in the near future and they can't tell you how long they will need it.

• Like 1

I spoke to my dealer earlier today about this issue and was told that they 'were unable to tell me if my car needs it's until it comes into the workshop, we are not allowed to solicit our customers. . . . also Skoda have not issued us with the proper tool for the job, we have to hand pump it out which can take an hour or more. . . . .', not very useful when you have to book the car in for a service in the near future and they can't tell you how long they will need it.

That is a crap response. 

The note to dealers went out from Skoda UK on the 5-8th May

• Like 2

MilgeS.  The Dealer knows your vehicles VIN, and can check.

That is totally dishonest of who ever came away with that nonsense they told you

Or a mistaken Employee that has been badly informed.

I have a Email that a Member Received from Skoda UK HQ saying that,

'they do not use the Internet to Inform Owners of Service Campaigns, but Dealers will contact Owners to advice them of the need to carry out work.'

As said by vrskeith, cars were getting the 'Field Action' done from early May.

Hardly soliciting work, to contact owners and customers to inform them of work required.

*That must have been what Skoda told DfT/VOSA the Service Campaign would be, 

to convince them a recall was not required in the UK.*

Skoda UK, need to stop the rubbish with 'Silent Service Campaigns' and put Press Releases out to get the message to Owners.

VW had the Service Campaign information on their UK Websites,

They did Update, Edit and Revise it one day after it had loads of hits and they must have had enquiries when it was linked on Briskoda.

• Like 2

There has been a development from dropping our Fabia off at Mitchells for the gear box oil changed last Thursday. We left it there and bought a BMW. 

Will be a good buy for somebody, three and a half years old and 9500 miles, full history and so on.

• Like 1

Enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) in the following website page: http://www.skoda-auto.com.kw/service/recall-campaign.  It can usually be seen somewhere at the bottom of the windscreen.