oil consumption test

Took my vrs tsi for the consumption test at ingrams in ayr as my vrs drained the sump! 

Was told id have to pay if the vrs pased the test! The vrs passed! It uses 0.22 litres per 1000 miles! Bugger thought id have to cough up the price for the test! But no! They said in a gd will gesture they would pay and fit the breather mod and do a ecu update also to try and bring down my oil consumption. Happydays!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Really, a Gesture by them,  i think not.

What was the Weight of the Oil on the Report at the start and finish of the Oil Consumption test done?

What age is your car, & how many Miles has it done,

& did Ingrams in Ayr sell you the car?

What Warranty does the car have, the Original 3 year Manufacturers Warranty,

A Skoda Approved Used Car 12 month Warranty, or an Extended Warranty.?

george

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/305123-vrs-oil-consumption-test-dealers-saying-you-must-pay

No the weight wasnt on the report! Its a 2011 with 25000 on the clock and yeah they sold me the car. Its a great wee car and to be fair when first purchased I thought I had a gd one as it used no oil at first. Then checked the dipstick and it was dry. No bloody warning light came on tho thats why I took it for the test! 

You will be needing a new engine then, 

& the 'Service Campaign' work on the DSG,   

(Thats if Ingrams had 3.6 litres in when they sold you the car, and the ECU update had been done,

and its always just had 3.6 litres in since, never over filled.)

So best talk to Skoda UK Customer Services if Ingrams want to tell fibs about Good Will Gestures or the Likes.

Best get then to arrange a Courtesy car and there are Remanufactured engines in the UK to speed up the PITA

to customers.

Look at getting and Extended Warranty from Skoda on the Car after the Engine is Replaced.

Skoda Warranty & failing 1.4 TSI CAVE Twinchargers,

and no need for them to pretend otherwise, all the best with it.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

There is another thread down the pages from last week on 

Skoda Customer Services and Engines being replaced..

george

What was the Weight of the Oil on the Report at the start and finish of the Oil Consumption test done?

What is the origin of this idea about weighing the oil put into and drained from the engine? it sounds like an incredibly Heath Robinson technique.

Why not drain the sump (using the sump plug) fill with 3.6L, check the (cold) level using the dip stick, drive X miles, measure how much oil is needed to reach the same level on the dip stick with a cold engine - simples :)

Still waiting to hear from skoda who promised to get in contact with me thursday/Friday! Once again, haven't contacted me!

The lady handling my case told me that she has to check that the 'modifications' have been fitted to which I responded 'is this the breather mod we're on about? The one that simply does nothing' she then went on to say yes and how they would maybe like one of their people to do the 1000 mile retest even though my initial test was 188 miles... You can imagine what my reply to that was! At this point I was getting frustrated as I feel they're beating around the bush a little! Mods retests and banging on about driving styles and so on which we know doesn't make much of a difference when an engine is burning 3litres/1000 miles! I should be able to drive round at 4k revs everywhere and not burn Near that much.

My next step will be to e-mail the chief ex outlining everything that's gone on and basically how dissapointed I am! Love the car but not loving the service.

• Like 2

vxh26,

you should bring that up with the Volkswagen Group Technical People, they set out the procedures,

there must be method behind the madness that is the German way.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

How the tests were originally done.

• Like 1

Here is an example of a Skoda Dealership Test were the technician wrongly thought 1 litre of engine oil weighs 1000 grams,

not 857 grams.

Only one example of wrongly Carried out tests or reports, and that means inaccurate results.

"Raise the vehicle ... the vehicle must remain as level as possible", "clean sealable container", "exactly five minutes", "reliable weighing scales", "pour the oil back into the vehicle" (presumably absolutely ALL the oil?), "exactly 100km", "raise the vehicle using the same jack and make sure it is in the same position as in the previous stage", "exactly five minutes", "the same recipient" (receptacle, surely?).

Yeah, right, that sounds ultra scientific - well done VAG :rofl:

Translation from the various languages of the Volkswagen Group Technical Information is the cause of much errors with UK vehicles.

Thats from the Factories & HQs & Technical people of VW, Audi, Skoda & Seat.

Owners Hand Books from the VW/Audi, Skoda & Seat read differently for the same engines in parts when translated to English & US English.

They even make errors on things like Oil Quantity required in different engines,

like on this Table,

& Customers/Drivers might take it as being correct, you would expect it to be.

(it is correct for the 132kw engine, but wrong for one of the others.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Car goes in for breather mod and ecu update and gearbox recall 2moz so hopefuly my oil consumption goes down! I have never owned a car that uses oil like ma vrs! And i have owned lots of turbo'd and supercharged cars! So am hopin it gets rid, but am thinkin hell might freeze over first!

I hope you have a Case Number & Handler with Skoda UK,

& that Ingrams are doing a Proper Oil Consumption test as set out by Skoda UK.

If the Usage is very high, talk with Skoda UK about not going through the Breath Pipe /Valve Mod and ECU Update and Second Oil Consumption Test.

But that might require the Assistance of the Technician  doing the Test supporting that, dependent on the test result.

Be Sure to ask them for a copy of the results from the test after it is carried out. (after the Oil is Dropped Again.)

I am in Ayr on Tuesday Night or Wednesday.

I will happily come and check for oil for you and see where they have the level at or catch you some other time.

george

What was that.

Like it used 0.22 litres in the Miles you covered,

or they multiplied your Miles and it equated to 0.22 litres used per 1000 km (621 miles) ?

So how many miles was the Test Covered Over, 

did they have the Weight of the Oil at the Start of the Test & the Weight After the miles Driven?

I will put my PM on.  I will be at 'Trump Turnberry'!!!! & roundabouts.

Just shout anytime.

Mine goes in for first oil consumption test on 14 August at Parks of Hamilton. It would have been sooner had I not been willing to wait until the technicians at Parks returned from their holidays. That said, I believe the story about the annual leave to be concocted in order to delay the work, which I genuinely don't think they want to touch with a bargepole.

I have grave reservations over the method used by Skoda to measure the consumption, not so much in the weighing of the oil stuff as I think that probably is the best way but more in the starting points of the calculation and the distances they are asking for the car to be driven in order to perform the calculation. Worse than that, by the time you get the test done you will have already performed several calculations of your own by working out how often you have had to stick a litre of oil in and over what period of time. God forbid, its as if Skoda don't believe the customer.

Have you had to buy the oil while waiting for the test? I have had to and have been told to keep the receipts.

Good luck with the test, which to me seems to be a delay mechanism for the manufacturer as much as anything. They know that some CAVE engines have a problem, they can probably tell which ones actually, and rather than go through this charade of waiting until they are contacted someone needs to bite the bullet at Skoda and get serious about addressing this known issue.

I was told by a dealer the other day that the dealer comes out of this pretty well with a 3% profit on the engine plus £58 per hour from warranty for carrying out an engine change. So the dealer may have his workshop tied up for 13 hours or so but he will be well recompensed for it. The customer will be happy as they will no longer have to feel as if they own shares in Standard Oil, and will have a better car to own in the long term.

And Skoda would be happier if they addressed the problem as they would no longer need to hide behind a sofa waiting on the next Vrs owner starting their own adventure, the great charade. Skoda could actually say they were proactive rather than reactive and diversionary.

Finance however takes precedence over customer.

• Like 1

If anyone gets a Test Result like this, then you know just how hopeless they are, 

because with this weight of oil there would be more than 4 litres in at the start of the test and at the end.

(the oil is 857 Grams per Litre, not 1000 grams)

The Official Test now of 300 km (186 miles)

& then multiply is just nonsense, and has nothing to do with the real 

consumption of a car other the likes of 2 or 3 tankfuls of petrol.

It does not show that the engine is not failing, it just suits VW/Skoda,

(the likes of 3.1 litres, 2.2 litres per 1000 km Equated after 300 km seems to be a common result that i have seen.)

Then the Engine still goes on to keep using more oil and gets replaced.

If you do the Topping Up and record your oil use in the Real world, like using your car,

& the Test shows OK & the Actual Oil used is not,

Just dont Accept the Skoda Test.

An Independent Engine Expert of the Likes VW use to Void Warranties will Inspect Your Engine, Give a Report,

& if Skoda are Wrong and you are right,

You Invoice them for the Cost of the Examination & Report.

(Sauce for the Goose & all that.)

If anyone gets a Test Result like this, then you know just how hopeless they are, 

because with this weight of oil there would be more than 4 litres in at the start of the test and at the end.

(the oil is 857 Grams per Litre, not 1000 grams)

The Official Test now of 300 km (186 miles)

& then multiply is just nonsense, and has nothing to do with the real 

consumption of a car other the likes of 2 or 3 tankfuls of petrol.

It does not show that the engine is not failing, it just suits VW/Skoda,

(the likes of 3.1 litres, 2.2 litres per 1000 km Equated after 300 km seems to be a common result that i have seen.)

Then the Engine still goes on to keep using more oil and gets replaced.

If you do the Topping Up and record your oil use in the Real world, like using your car,

& the Test shows OK & the Actual Oil used is not,

Just dont Accept the Skoda Test.

An Independent Engine Expert of the Likes VW use to Void Warranties will Inspect Your Engine, Give a Report,

& if Skoda are Wrong and you are right,

You Invoice them for the Cost of the Examination & Report.

(Sauce for the Goose & all that.)

I was trying to do the calculation using the figures from that invoice George but my head is a little fried today to be honest, too much sun over the last week when we are not used to it!

Also, without realising at the time, I managed to get two checkpoints that are fairly good markers. I topped up at 22550 and yesterday at 23650, with one in between at 23077. In its simplest form, in the real world with a variety of driving and driving style, the car has required 2 litres of oil in 1100 miles, substantially more than VAG own imaginary tolerance of 0.5 litres in 621 miles. Or, in their language 1kg 714 grams to cover 1770km. Or 779 grams per 1000km, equivalent to 0.9 litres used per 1000km. I think, but as I say my head is bit muddled.

The devil now will be in the oil consumption test itself. Gordon at Parks seems happy for us to commence the test on the evening of 14 August taking the car back in the following Wednesday, the 20th of August. Both of those dates are chosen to work around my wife's shifts so that they can have the car in when she is scheduled to be on time off. I am however going to change that so that the car does a more reflective mileage and goes back in on Monday 25th August. I'm not certain how many miles we will cover in the original period offered and I want to offer as little opportunity as possible for misdirection or evasion.

It's actually terrible I feel I have to do this, and the more I think about the situation its actually worse that everything has been scheduled around their availability rather than ours. 

More kindlers for the fire when its time.

Edited by Sittingbull

That invoice is nonsense as were other members Oil Consumption Tests.

I have other Examples of Tests & Invoices from Members and they have been sent to Skoda Customer Services & Magazines, Editors etc.

None are interested in upsetting the Volkswagen Group it would seem.

Too much power in their Advertising Spending in the Media i think.

(A Scottish Court Judgement will shake them, but then they sort things out before it gets to that.)

A Motor Engineers Experts Evidence & Forensic Testing of the Engine,

& the Conclusions, on the Faulty Design, Parts, Engine Management & failures of the CAVE engines given as Evidence in court

would really put the cat among the Pigeons with some Senior Volkswagen Group Executives.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

1 litre of oil is 857 grams, so 3.6 litres is 3085.2 grams,  So allow them around that.

** IF YOU START WITH '3085.2 grams OF OIL (3.6 litres) & DROVE 621 Miles (1000 km) 

& IT USED 0.5 LITRES (428.5 grams) THEN THE DROPPED OIL WOULD WEIGH NEAR 2657.7 grams.**

I have seen a few were the Technician has 1 litre @ 1000 Grams.

so if they really drained & weighed it was obvious to a blind man that something was wrong.

Then they go using the Calculation to get 300 km. multiplied to 1000 km.   Its just silly.

In God we Trust, 

In Technicians we double & treble check.

• Like 1

That invoice is nonsense as were other members Oil Consumption Tests.

I have other Examples of Tests & Invoices from Members and they have been sent to Skoda Customer Services & Magazines, Editors etc.

None are interested in upsetting the Volkswagen Group it would seem.

Too much power in their Advertising Spending in the Media i think.

(A Scottish Court Judgement will shake them, but then they sort things out before it gets to that.)

A Motor Engineers Experts Evidence & Forensic Testing of the Engine,

& the Conclusions, on the Faulty Design, Parts, Engine Management & failures of the CAVE engines given as Evidence in court

would really put the cat among the Pigeons with some Senior Volkswagen Group Executives.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

1 litre of oil is 857 grams, so 3.6 litres is 3085.2 grams,  So allow them around that.

** IF YOU START WITH '3085.2 grams OF OIL (3.6 litres) & DROVE 621 Miles (1000 km) 

& IT USED 0.5 LITRES (428.5 grams) THEN THE DROPPED OIL WOULD WEIGH NEAR 2657.7 grams.**

I have seen a few were the Technician has 1 litre @ 1000 Grams.

so if they really drained & weighed it was obvious to a blind man that something was wrong.

Then they go using the Calculation to get 300 km. multiplied to 1000 km.   Its just silly.

In God we Trust, 

In Technicians we double & treble check.

Thanks once again George, terrific information re weights etc.

As for the VAG Senior Executives, the thought of any legal proceedings and the remote possibility of them having to appear in public and display how little they actually know of their products would most likely be the reason why cases never get that far, coupled with the strong likelihood that there are a good number of people within VAG (technicians, assemblers, suppliers, supervisors, managers and so on) who are very aware of the problems afflicting some CAVE engines, and therefore whose evidence would cripple any defence likely to be offered.

Re the cracking last line about god and technicians, here's an example of how it can easily go wrong. My daughter has a fiat 500 and she came to me to tell me that she had a warning on the dash to check her DRL's. Turns out one of the bulbs has went kaput. Had a quick look and the DRL is a bit of a pest to get to, you have to remove a panel in the inner wheel archway and then it helps if you have a smaller hand. I went to the car, and using the dash menu was able to disable the DRL's until we could get a bulb. This stopped the warning appearing.

Two days later we went to the dealer (funnily enough another Parks of Hamilton garage) and my daughter asked them to put a bulb in for her. We handed over the keys and were asked to wait as the job would likely take around 10 to 15 minutes. After an hour had passed we were approached by the receptionist who advised that the car was back, but that it would need to come back in as the DRL's weren't coming on. She went on to state that the car would need a diagnostic check costing £48 and that this wouldn't be covered by the warranty. She said the technicians reckoned the fault lay in either the DRL unit (covered by the warranty) or the wiring (not covered).

I asked if they had tried switching them back on. Girl says yes. I asked if they had reactivated the DRL's using the dash menu. Girl says yes, but looks uncertain. She asks when do we want the car booked in? I asked for two minutes to check car. I went outside, into car and into menu to find DRL's still deactivated. Switched it from off to on and would you believe, there was light! I called girl over, and asked her to bring the service manager with her. I was polite as one would expect to be, but got the point across about time wasted and simple checks that could have eliminated this waste, especially as I had advised on handing over keys that I had disabled the DRL's.

Check, double check and treble check indeed.