oil consumption test

Sittingbull do u have ur new engine in yet?

Lol lucky him! Hope it fixes his oil drinkin problem!

Got the wee car back on 25 September and it's so far, so good. Had a check at the dipstick this morning whilst stane jinky (cold) and the oil appears to be exactly where it was when we got it out from the garage, and that's after something like 500 miles. So a big difference, and a good feeling at the moment not to be worrying about oil use.

There were some initial concerns as we felt the gearbox perhaps a little clunky but that feeling has now gone, wee car drives and goes very well, albeit I haven't really opened up the taps on yet as it's still only just fitted. My only outstanding issues now really are with Skoda UK and surround things like warranty and goodwill, hoping to have a successful resolution on that front soon as well.

Hopefully you get your wee car back soon, and in fine working order. It's murder without your normal car to stoat about in. 

Keep us posted

Sounds gd! Hopefuly mine will give up drinkin oil 2. If i ever get it bk! Not getting it bk is startin to get on my ti**s they can fit an engine but cant fix the lamda sensor!

• Like 1

Lamda sensor still broke getting sick of this mob being unable to fix ma car!

Intermittent fault, we r still trying to find they fault! Ur car was fine for 4hrs then the light came bk on!

Hi guys quick one, bought a 61 plate vrs about a month ago, had it serviced before I picked it up on 15892, exactly 1600 miles later oil light came on. Topped up with just over a litre to the top of the dipstick, and I've now done 708 miles and the light has come back on again. When should I start to be concerned? Is it 1L per 621 miles the same as the audis? (I work for Audi)

Cheers

Tom i remember in the Air Filter thread you said 'I see the same engine everyday'..

(I thought at the time when i read that, so might those with oil users that need to check them regularly.)

Have you not had a Audi A1 185 PS with reported high oil use, there are more than 20% faulty ones already.

There are less than 550 1.4 TFSI S-A 185 ps (136 Kw) in the UK

?

Are you sure that the Technician Servicing the car put in 3.6 litres of Oil, and then you are running it with 3.6 litres.

Could you maybe tell us how your workshop and you check the oil,

Is it a cold dip, just warm, or at 'Operating Temperature.'?

But yes,

you need to do a correct oil consumption test.

Monitor your oil use first.

Be sure the engine /ECU had the latest Skoda (VW) Software update.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

**Worth checking and maybe replacing the Spark Plugs.**

Service schedule of 40,000 miles is pants.  Some do last that long though.

some have been burning up by 15,000 - 17,000 miles, but 25,000 miles is long enough on some cars.

(like the 60,000 miles Service schedule on the Air Filter you mentioned.

it is rubbish as a service interval or guideline, they are easy to check and possibly require replacing 

long before that. Location, location, location.)

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

Hi guys quick one, bought a 61 plate vrs about a month ago, had it serviced before I picked it up on 15892, exactly 1600 miles later oil light came on. Topped up with just over a litre to the top of the dipstick, and I've now done 708 miles and the light has come back on again. When should I start to be concerned? Is it 1L per 621 miles the same as the audis? (I work for Audi)

Cheers

Is it still under the Skoda warranty or just run out and your  dealers issued his own.

Bought from a Skoda Dealer or Other?

If Skoda ,as them to give  you your cars case history to date. Was the previous owner having problems or just got rid.

Get it logged with Skoda UK CS and start the consumption test process. PART 1.

Edited by vrskeith

Tom Clarke,

Out of interest, did your car require and action from the 'Service Campaign' on the DSG,

(Changed to Mineral Oil & ECU Update & sticker in the boot.)

Had it been done, or have you had it done?

Hi guys, yeah see these engine every day but believe it of not only had one in for an engine repair. We mostly see 1.8t and 2.0t.

I bought it from sytner select, sytner owns the Audi dealership I work at so got a deal done. Sorry I wasn't clear the car got serviced at skoda main dealer (they wanted to take it to an independent garage)

I've got tomorrow off so going to nip into my local skoda and see what they say.

• Like 1

Tom Clarke,

Out of interest, did your car require and action from the 'Service Campaign' on the DSG,

(Changed to Mineral Oil & ECU Update & sticker in the boot.)

Had it been done, or have you had it done?

I don't believe it has, when it was in for the service it had one done for the heated seats but that was it, I shall mention that to them tomorrow.

• Like 1

All the best,

you are in a good position to get the matter resolved quickly.

The engines have a known fault in many cases, it is just that the VWG do not acknowledge it as such.

This is the problem from 2009 with the Twincharger Ibiza Cupra, then the vRS, GTI & 185ps.

Seat, VW, Skoda & Audi workshops. service desks and sales people and HQ Customer Services treating customer & cars as though they are 

the same as 1.4 TSI / TFSI,  105. 122. 140-150 ps engines or 1.8 - 2.0 TSI /TFSI.

They are not.

VW tried for 132-136 kW from 1390 cc, and tried it out on Paying Customers,

and R&D on paying customers & then a high percentage of failures should be recognised by the Manufacturer.

Volkswagen built engines from 2009-late 2012. early 2013 that could & many have had issues,

and a symptom was High Oil Use, easily monitored, and this came from VW's poor Design, Engine Management and Quality Control.

They Redesigned Parts & changed the Engine Management and some engines still have issues.

If VWG would just admit publicly,  inform all the Franchised Dealerships and Workshops and stop having 

Dealership Employees without the knowledge, or as i find in Dealership, knowing misleading paying customers,

It would have been easily sorted out.

george

PS.

From post #55

You said the light came on after 1,600 miles, and you put in 1 litre.

The light on a CAVE might not come on until the Engine oil of 3.6 litres is 

1.5 litres low. even 2 Litres.

So 1 litre put in is not enough.

VW/ Skoda / Audi / Seat says may use 0.5 Litres in 1000 km (621 miles)

so 1.0 Litre used in 1,600 miles would not be considered a Oil User.

But then your engine might well have required more than 1 litre when the Light Showed.

Edited by goneoffSKi

PPS.

Just re-read post #55

This 1 litre in 1000 km (621 miles)  seems to often be the mistake being repeated in VWG Dealerships.

Owners Manuals for all the VW engines, 3 or 4 cylinder, petrol & diesel says the likes of.

'May use 0.5 litre/ 1000 km, depending on your style of driving',    

Big difference between may use 1/2 a litre and 1 litre,   100 % difference.

i am surprised that people in the car trade get it so wrong.

Not much hope for buyers of ACT / COD engined cars if they ever have issues.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Cheers

Check the documentation you got when at point of purchase to ascertain the date of first registration for the car, it is very much in your interest and favour if the car is still within manufacturer's warranty, and it could be vitally important in terms of available time left on the manufacturer's warranty so that you can register the problem officially before it expires.

Having checked that, check the vehicle service history and make sure it's at least been serviced by a VAT registered garage, a Skoda main dealer would be great but it's more important that it's been serviced and recorded as so in order to prevent the warranty company having any wriggle room if indeed a problem is identified.

Note your mileage first thing in the morning (let's call it a Sunday), before you start the car, and check the oil level. If it needs topped up (but not overfilled) do so and record as accurately as you can the amount added, the date added and the mileage when carried out. In the absence of an oil warning light coming on, check again under the same conditions noting the date and mileage and before starting the engine, up to you when you carry out the check be it after 500 miles or after 4 or 5 days or even the following Sunday morning. Note if the oil level has dropped, and as accurately as possible top up if required, noting how much has been added.

Having done this, it will be up to you to work out whether to leave and test yourself again after another similar distance/ time period has been covered, or whether you immediately raise a case with Skoda UK via their [email protected] email address, assuming the car is still under manufacturer's warranty.

If you decide to raise with Skoda, do your best to record everything and have written records of all contact with dealer and Skoda UK. Keep checking the car while they decide with you what is the appropriate course of action.

All of the above will of course be nothing new for you given you are working in an Audi garage, however there might be others looking in who are wondering how to kickstart a process that is intimidating for almost everyone. Keep good contact with George (goneoffski) and vrskeith as they will keep you right.

As for the however many litres per 621 miles thing, the whole situation is farcical and is based on a figure reached by VAG themselves and certainly not based against any industry standard. The whole question will come down to acceptability, as in whether or not you are willing to accept that a car you spent the better part of 10k on is going to need perhaps a litre of oil with every two tanks of fuel. In some owners cases here, mine included, more oil than that was required with my eventual oil consumption coming out at something approaching 0.5litres/ 384 miles, a figure I wasn't for accepting.

In terms of just having it serviced, check to see if spark plugs and filters were also changed including air filter for the reasons George has given earlier.

Sorry for banging on like an idiot, and forgive me for trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs if indeed that is the case, I'm not wanting to offend, only to help. The work for my recent engine change was in excess of £4.5k so I wouldn't want a punter being left with a bill like that.

Hi guys, yeah see these engine every day but believe it of not only had one in for an engine repair. We mostly see 1.8t and 2.0t.

I bought it from sytner select, sytner owns the Audi dealership I work at so got a deal done. Sorry I wasn't clear the car got serviced at skoda main dealer (they wanted to take it to an independent garage)

I've got tomorrow off so going to nip into my local skoda and see what they say.

I don't believe it has, when it was in for the service it had one done for the heated seats but that was it, I shall mention that to them tomorrow.

And finally, and it gives me no pleasure in saying this, but when dealing with this type of situation do not place complete trust in either the dealer or Skoda. Personal experience, and it appears I'm not the only one this has happened to, suggests that they will play off against each other with one always blaming the other while you are just wanting the situation resolved.

In short, yes you may have a problem and it is certainly worth monitoring the oil use from now on.

Edited by Sittingbull

I still havent got ma car bk after 7 weeks

What do Skoda UK  CS suggest is the approprate action to take now.

Replace your car with a new or demo car?

As the dealer can't go on like this.

Edited by vrskeith

I have no idea! Skoda uk makin the garage jump though hoops! The garage is jumpin through them one at a time skoda uk been out stuck the laptop on it and they still dont know whats up with it! 

• 3 weeks later...

I havent got it bk yet!!!!!!

Ecu came bk with no faults. They havent got a fu**en clue how to fix ma vrs.

iam on the verge of losing the plot with skoda. Thats 9 weeks. 2weeks to fit new engine and 7 weeks with the oxygen sensor!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this.

It is time that Skoda UK Milton Keyes or Skoda CZ had your car transported to Qualified Motor Engineers to see how Franchised Skoda Dealerships and 'Factory Trained Technicians', treat Engine Replacements.

There is another member in the other thread that has required several replacement engines,

and some dealership that have caused DSG issues when refitting engines,

Cracked Exhausts, Broken the steering etc.

Cars have failed in dangerous ways after Skoda / VW paying to have Engines Replaced by some Dealership Workshops 

that are not to be trusted to change the Chain on a push bike.

all the best with it.

You need to get a message to 

Alasdair Stewart Brand Director for Skoda UK.

He is responsible for his Companies Reputation in the UK.

& he must have some interest in the Dealerships with Skoda Signs outside the Buildings, Logos on their Clothing etc.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

It will be interesting to know how Tom Clarke has got on with him being in the Motor Trade and working for a VAG Dealership.

There have been other Skoda Employees with Oil Use issues that had their vehicles approved for Engine replacement 

far quicker than the General Public have that often get the run around and rather stretched out procedures.

• Like 1

Any progress now.?

Surely time that Ingrams holds up their hands, and say they will take the car back and get you a replacement or full refund.

george

• Like 1

Any progress now.?

Surely time that Ingrams holds up their hands, and say they will take the car back and get you a replacement or full refund.

george

Totally agree George!

Some one of Authority at Skoda UK CS should have grabbed hold of this one and sorted it out to the CUSTOMER'S SATISFACTION!

Edited by vrskeith