Again on underbody sill paint

emix2001

Yes, I read around but advice is needed. 

Just come back from the official repair shop, realized that where the have put the elevator forks sill paint (that gummy strange black) is peeling off. Any suggestion on a spray or brush paint to restore?. 

Please, I know that it is their fault, but I can not demonstrate anything and also wonder how they deal with volks or Audi they service usually. 

I use black Waxoyl for such jobs.  If you only use it on small areas then as it comes in big tins it's a bit expensive but I think you can get an aerosol can.

Thanks for your reply. Googling around I was wondering whether wax oil contains solvent that can damage the original plastic covering. I also wonder if there exists a paint that replicates consistency and thickness of the oem one. Can't find anything similar. Thickness is about a millimeter. And, above all, what's that made of?

Thanks for your reply. Googling around I was wondering whether wax oil contains solvent that can damage the original plastic covering. I also wonder if there exists a paint that replicates consistency and thickness of the oem one. Can't find anything similar. Thickness is about a millimeter. And, above all, what's that made of?

I think that the Waxoyl solvent is probably turpentine or similar and that evaporates off leaving the wax which certainly has not damaged any paint, plastic or metal on any of my cars over the last 40 years!  The plastic under the Yeti is bound to be solvent resistant otherwise it would not survive long on any car full of oils, fluids and solvents.

The stuff you are talking about seems to be a very thick, hard wax substance. I've not yet found anything to replicate it yet,

Dinitrol 4941 aerosol seems to be nearest I've found!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Had the stuff sealed by the official dealer. Sadly lasted two days and at the edge of the sill cracked again. Some sort of sealant that peeled away. What the hell is made of?

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Hi. Gettin anxous in sight of winter tyres fitting. Any other idea about the sill sealant stuff? Up to now, I have not find anything that can produce such a thick effect. I am getting convinced it is waxy.....but what is it? I am getting prepared to a visit to the car body repair, but I hate the fact the they minimize what they don't know. I love my yeti......