EU Parliament Elections: are you voting?

Given the wide ranging impact of the things that the EU is able to dictate to member states that affects you and I daily (and many other areas that we're blissfully unaware that they have an input on), I find it odd that you wouldn't want to put your 2p across; even if it is to say "I don't agree with the EU and want my country to leave which is why I have voted for this party who are demonstrating for my country to leave the EU*". 

* Assuming such a party exists in Sweeden. Please excuse my ignorance on the matter.

Unfortunately, the only party that has even mentioned anything about curbing the EU's power in their member states (and even then, no outright secession) is the Sweden Democrats. And while i do agree with most of their views, the fact that almost half of them are "reformed" neo-nazis leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They make sense now, before the election, but then again, so did Hitler. Look how that turned out after he won. I'm not a betting man any more.

And I do know about the stuff they dictate to us. If i didnt, i wouldnt have anything to base my EU bashing on. I'm not talking out of my arse.

• Like 1

I doubt it, and I'm making that assumption on some of the idiotic postings he has made in the past on the UK government and electoral system. He is very good at finding stuff on YouTube that purports to be about the current system and how unequal it all is, but invariably little of it is based on true facts, and is mostly sensationalist drivel. 

If you say so my bitter old fruit.

Feel free to explain to me who and why I should vote for a particular person or party and I will continue to ask you what good has come from the x amount of times you've voted.

I have the choice to vote which means I either will or I wont, but what I will not do is to be told by some stranger on a forum that I have to do this or do that. Let me put it very simply for you, who the he'll do you think you are? I'm causing no harm to anybody directly or indirectly take your head out of your backside and stop trying to assume that you know me or that you have any relevance to my well being.

Edited by theezenutz

I've never voted and most likely never will. Literally can't be arsed. Never complain though, I go to work, earn money and spend it on a house, 2 cars and doing things I enjoy so I'm happy.

Refreshingly honest, can't disagree with any of that!

I'm not voting. Simply because I am not registered to vote at this time, at my current address.

However, I, like a lot of people, like what Nigel Farage is saying. It's a very easy approach that will give him a lot of air time and a lot of votes. The country is on it's arse and is sick to the stomach of lies, inflation, wages, jobs etc etc etc. We're a proud country, however, I dislike the cost of the EU. I dislike a lot of their ideas and the fact they can command our country into laws not set by us (which isn't always a bad thing)

I dislike the way immigration is handled in our country. Full stop.

We need quality assurance prior to allowing immigrants. We need people who can pay an asset to our country, not take from it unhindered. Australia is about the pinnacle of this.

Having said that, I dislike some of their ideas and to be quite frank they need more ideas.

I think if UKIP win tomorrow, then as expected, it will cause shock waves. Cameron cannot watch the country effectively show negative force against the Conservative party and I believe, it will change the country, short term or long term, but one way, it will change. None of the 'big' parties will sit and watch the people be swayed by simple ideas.

I'll nevre ever understand those who feel they have some kind of 'right' to moan about the politics of this country when they do not vote.

IMO voting should be compulsory. If you want to spoil your paper, fine, but at least you've made some kind of impact. But if you do, don't moan. (about what those in Government do or don't do)

• Like 4

@DAKKS This is very true. UKIP make some very good points on the anti democratic nature of the EU however the rest of their manifesto (which nobody bothers to read) is scarily right wing, small state, up the privileged, f**k the unfortunate crap so I cannot with clear conscience vote for them. I will be voting Labour but with a pretty heavy heart.

• Like 1

I'm certain I won't be voting for UKIP or any of the more extreme or loony candidates (we got a BNP leaflet complaining that UKIP aren't racist enough) but haven't decided who I will go for. I need to look at previous results and see which votes might make a difference and which would be pointless as well.

So basically we have this choice:

Conservatives - will do sod all

Labour - will do sod all

LibDems - will do absolutely sod all

Ukip - will do something, but cannot hold government on their own.

Green - will make carparks really expensive and add bike lanes where they're not needed, as well as lots of 20mph areas.

BNP - irrelevant

Rest - irrelevant

It's a scary proposition isn't it. At least in the US, they do sod all, but make a song and dance about it.

• Like 2

Well im voting UKIP for no other reason than to cancel out a vote of the self righteous idiots on Facebook who keep telling me not to vote UKIP as its racist. I also like the irony of all our MEP's being Eurosceptic or anti-EU.

I think like or loathe Farage & you may think his ideas are morally reprehensible you may think his party are closet racists or ex bnp members but from the interviews I have watched if you ask him a straight question you get a straight answer. Unlike Milliband or Camercleg which is all smoke & mirrors deception and a lesson in avoidance tactics. This honesty is very refreshing in the face of fierce barracking and the very vocal minority calling him racist who lets face it have been influenced not by the policies but from the PR propaganda machine using the Racism card at every opportunity they get to shut him down. He also knows his figures when pressed he can real off the numbers and usually they are Europe's own numbers not some manipulated half baked estimates from some London quango like the three main parties use. It also serves as a protest vote two fingers up at the establishment. I would vote green but im not a tree hugging hippy.

• Like 1

So basically we have this choice:

Conservatives - will do sod all

Labour - will do sod all

LibDems - will do absolutely sod all

Ukip - will do something, but cannot hold government on their own.

Green - will make carparks really expensive and add bike lanes where they're not needed, as well as lots of 20mph areas.

BNP - irrelevant

Rest - irrelevant

It's a scary proposition isn't it. At least in the US, they do sod all, but make a song and dance about it.

You could have saved your self pressing the return button for the first three they are exactly the same old boys Eton club.

It is the 'European Parliament Elections' today,

not so sure that 'Old Eton Boys Clubs' is actually that relevant or 'Holding Government on their own',  or the likes.

Maybe some if going to vote today at Polling Stations should try to understand what placing their cross against a Party actually means.

I can't believe anyone would want to leave the EC, the City of London financiers reckon it' would be economic suicide and many major manufacturers are only in the UK to gain entry into Europe.

Wherever I travel in Europe they seem to be getting on with things ( recession allowing) not griping and moaning.

Many of our issues are due to over zealous/incompetent British administrators. If you want proof of this go and read the HSE site which lists all the myths about health and safety - caused by these over zealous incompetents.

• Like 2

Only in the UK could we be supporting the politicians who say we can't be trusted to have a say on the issue. Everyone's terrified that if they do ask the general public that the majority will vote to come out of the EU even though the latest polls suggest its more Pro EU. That's how Democracy works people if the majority want out, then we should be out we haven't had a vote in three generations so how the hell can anyone say we are democratic. A majority UKIP vote might show the big three its time to give a referendum.

scribbler,  

are you talking about the UK, or making your posts & on England. and an In / Out referendum.

The 'Big 3' you talk of, are maybe Big in England or the UK Government.

Conservatives & Unionists from the UK Party & Westminster are not part of the 'First 4' in Scotlands Politics.

Scotland has a Referendum on Independence from the UK in September 2014.

& the biggest drivers in the Campaign for a Yes vote are the Current Scottish Government & a Party that say they want to stay in the UK.

The European Parliament, & what it does, & the Elections & MEP's are often looked on differently by different people and countries,

and that can include the 4 countries in the UK.

If Scotland votes 'No' to Independence, then Voters might then get a vote in a UK 'In / Out Referendum'

on the EU,

but if the vote is 'Yes' in September, it looks like they will be part of a Country wanting to stay in the EU.

george

scribbler,  

are you talking about the UK, or making your posts & on England. and an In / Out referendum.

The 'Big 3' you talk of, are maybe Big in England or the UK Government.

Conservatives & Unionists from the UK Party & Westminster are not part of the 'First 4' in Scotlands Politics.

Scotland has a Referendum on Independence from the UK in September 2014.

& the biggest drivers in the Campaign for a Yes vote are the Current Scottish Government & a Party that say they want to stay in the UK.

The European Parliament, & what it does, & the Elections & MEP's are often looked on differently by different people and countries,

and that can include the 4 countries in the UK.

If Scotland votes 'No' to Independence, then Voters might then get a vote in a UK 'In / Out Referendum'

on the EU,

but if the vote is 'Yes' in September, it looks like they will be part of a Country wanting to stay in the EU.

George

There are serious parallels between the Scottish independence referendum and the uk's membership of the EU but as usual we in England aren't getting a say on the matter. I would like this to change. Most of the main three use the results of this election to gauge public feeling and potential for the General Election. Therefore with this being a micky mouse election where the outcome has no real effect I think we should use it to send them a clear message.

• Like 1

I can't believe anyone would want to leave the EC, the City of London financiers reckon it' would be economic suicide and many major manufacturers are only in the UK to gain entry into Europe.

The trouble is that any group (business or otherwise) that could be affected by us leaving the EU over emphasis' the downside, whilst those suggesting we do leave over emphasis the upside.

The truth, of course lies somewhere in between, so no, it wouldn't be economic suicide and no it wouldn't be a bed or roses either. My guess is we would gain in some areas and loose in others but the net result would be our economic performance would continue much as it is.

Europe wouldn't stop importing our goods and services, just as they wouldn't expect us to stop buying their products and services.

As for an in/out referendum, although close, I suspect we'd end up voting out, for no other reason to see what the politicians would do as a consequence, both here and in Europe. Europe would no doubt insist that we ran another one (and another, etc.) until we voted to stay in, but it would be interesting to see how it reshaped Europe and the way it works.

• Like 2

Vladimir Putin is reshaping Europe, & the EU Economic Community.

& the Germans are more worried about their Corporations Share Prices, loss of Exports to Russia

& the German Economy more than anything about other European Countries or members of the EU.

So good on Prince Charles for saying what Politicians are too scared to say.

george

• Like 1

The trouble is that any group (business or otherwise) that could be affected by us leaving the EU over emphasis' the downside, whilst those suggesting we do leave over emphasis the upside.

The truth, of course lies somewhere in between, so no, it wouldn't be economic suicide and no it wouldn't be a bed or roses either. My guess is we would gain in some areas and loose in others but the net result would be our economic performance would continue much as it is.

Europe wouldn't stop importing our goods and services, just as they wouldn't expect us to stop buying their products and services.

As for an in/out referendum, although close, I suspect we'd end up voting out, for no other reason to see what the politicians would do as a consequence, both here and in Europe. Europe would no doubt insist that we ran another one (and another, etc.) until we voted to stay in, but it would be interesting to see how it reshaped Europe and the way it works.

Couldn't agree more, the other thing to note is that Cameron is trying to renegotiate powers away from Brussels and tip the balance of the union in the UK's favour. However Merkel will be paying close attention to these election results. If she and the other member states think public opinion in the UK is anti EU then we are likely to get some concessions. However if its pro EU then she's knows Cameron is toothless and we will get a big fat zero. I See the EU a little bit like Eurovision where neighbour states work well together however the UK will always be on the fringe, culturally different and billy no mates. Its suicidal for us to have closer integration with them. Free trade common market on the other hand is a positive. I don't want to leave the EU I just want more autonomy. Maybe we should ask Putin to annex us.

• Like 1

Russian Peoples Money stolen from them is now what keeps the Capital of Englands financial services afloat.

The 3 big UK parties are in the mire

& without the Incomes from the Non Doms funding them they are more up S*** Creak without a paddle..

It is going to be good to see the Demise of the Liberal Democrats,

In this EU Elections & then in the General Elections.

Nick Clegg can go back to the Cosy life and Gravy Train that is Europe.

Dr Cable can maybe go and see who wants to employ him.

(@ 71 its maybe time to retire rather than go back to Royal Dutch Shell, unless they need a Pump Attendant.)

Danny Alexander can maybe see if he can make his income as a Double Glassing Salesman or the likes,

It would be good to see if he could actually make a living and have the Standard of living Tax Payers give him by doing work in the real world, not in some Quango or Directorship given for Services Rendered while in Government.

The likes of them are really Leaches on the Community.

Liars & cheats by Profession and calling.

george