Yeti alternative...

kibby

Funny world, isn't it?

Whatever I look at in the equivalent market there is only one model that comes anywhere within striking distance of the Yeti, and that is the Freelander.

Aye - I know exactly what I want, but no-one makes it. The Yeti is darned close though, and a very decent place to be until one of the manufacturers wises up to the potential market (of one) that I represent. ;)

Aye - I know exactly what I want, but no-one makes it. 

So what differences from the Yeti FL would you like to see? My preferences would be:

** More powerful petrol engine with 7-speed dry DSG (like the 211PS Q3 with S-Tronic - ie all the parts already exist in VW group);

** Enhanced NVH;

** More responsive satnav (eg the CPU seems really old and slow - would presumably cost pennies relatively to upgrade it) and control via iDrive knob;

** More generous seats (again the Q3 sports seats are good);

** About 0.2m longer to give just that bit more boot space;

** (easily do-able): better options choice from SUK, eg L&K with black/dark alcantara; 16" as an option for everyone!

Agree with that + sorted DSG and tweeked engines with better economy/emissions.

Can't believe they introduced a revised 1.2Tsi with the facelift with no apparent performance/economy/emissions improvements!! The facelift has no real enhancements unless

you are swayed by the cosmetics...I can take it or leave it compared with the original.

Edited by kibby

So what differences from the Yeti FL would you like to see? My preferences would be:

** More powerful petrol engine with 7-speed dry DSG (like the 211PS Q3 with S-Tronic - ie all the parts already exist in VW group);

** Enhanced NVH;

** More responsive satnav (eg the CPU seems really old and slow - would presumably cost pennies relatively to upgrade it) and control via iDrive knob;

** More generous seats (again the Q3 sports seats are good);

** About 0.2m longer to give just that bit more boot space;

** (easily do-able): better options choice from SUK, eg L&K with black/dark alcantara; 16" as an option for everyone!

I think that's a good list - very close to mine.

Bit more power - I'd rather a 200bhp diesel but a petrol around 200-240 would do very nicely. DSG as an option. Which I'd probably take.

"Better" seats - a bit more side support and ventilation.

Updated audio system that can read an entire SD card, not just the first 2000 files (that one baffles me!).

A bit more length just in the boot, and the removal of the stupid lip/flap between the boot floor and the rear seats.

A heated steering wheel.

A couple more soft bits - the door cards and the door grab handles spring to mind.

Or, starting from scratch, something like an Ibiza or Fabia estate with (again) 200-240bhp, DSG, AWD, another 50mm of ground clearance and a really nice interior. It'd be small but able to carry plenty of stuff, quick but not too thirsty. The VAG group has all the bits - it'd be like an Audi S1 Allroad.

Golf SV looks tasty...lots of engine/transmission options if they don't limit the choice for UK.

Golf Plus didn't like and Dealer didn't like too as he tried to put us off it for some reason.!! Very odd!

To me not odd as dealers want money in their pocket ASAP ......that's their priority.

What you want may mean a delay in supply as opposed to getting easily available stock, at least comparatively speaking and that means a delay in them getting your money.

• 1 year later...

Hasn't even got that, it just looks awful, especially those rear lights.

The Yeti looks like a swan in comparison.

Maybe they think it's cheeky.....it'd be a matter of putting up with the looks for its off-road ability if I was interested.

Seat are bringing out an SUV based on the Leon sometime soon. Rumoured it will have similar drivetrains to Leon (so should include 1.4 Tsi with DSG.) and slightly longer than Yeti. 

I recently had a test drive in a Renegade and was impressed. The version I drove was 2lt 4WD Auto. It was difficult to determine any major difference to the Yeti but I have to admit I wasn't totally attracted to it's looks

I also test drove a Fiat 500x which is the same car in a different overcoat. This one came with a 1.4 Tsi petrol and 6 speed autobox as opposed to the 9 speed version in the Renegade). It was very smooth to drive but lacked the push in the back of the diesel. 

I'm just looking at possible Yeti alternatives at the moment but it will have to be good to divert me from the Yeti.

Suzuki Vitara is next!

Fred

• Like 1

Thank you for your brief thoughts on theJeep/500X, Fred. Useful and helpful.  Had an orange Renegade parked outside the house recently so couldn't resist a peep. Quite imposing at the front and a distinct appeal, I thought.

I would have thought it a good idea in the current wet weather too....but I read that it's only the top of the range Trailhawk models that might have fording ability...and even that is a matter for debate according to theses fellas :-  http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/4-jeep-renegade-general-discussion/7730-no-water-fording-no-trailhawk-version.html

Bit of a shame it's so closely associated with Fiat (or, indeed is it almost a FIAT full stop?) 

Given the idle, pointless twaddle on here from certain quarters I also look forward to your Vitara thoughts too. Another useful looking thing (which is credited with a reasonable wading depth in some circles). Slightly surprising that the SX4 S Cross and the Vitara start at a similar price despite the Vitara being categorized in a smaller class.  Admittedly it's max list price goes higher than the Vitara. Discounts available though which make both look attractive. (Pity there's no spare wheel).

Edited by oldstan

• 2 weeks later...

My Yeti will be due replacement in two years time. My concern is the new Yeti will be out then and will be bigger. I've had big vehicles but now need something compact with four wheel drive and automatic, which is why I got the Yeti. (Best "auto" gearbox around?)

I suppose I'll have to try the updated Mini Countryman AWD if the Yeti gets too big.... Anyone got a current Countryman? Your thought would be appreciated.

I'm just looking at possible Yeti alternatives at the moment but it will have to be good to divert me from the Yeti.

Suzuki Vitara is next!

Fred

Fred,

You might be interested in a side-by-side comparison test between Vitara 1.4S Allgrip 2.0 Mazda CX-3 Sport Nav in this weeks AutoExpress magazine. They also show "impression" of new Polo based SUV.

I looked at both cx-3 and vitara when I was looking to replace my last yeti, wanted something slightly narrower and vitara looked ideal.

Trouble was it just didn't grab me enough to look at it in a serious way.

Cx-3 i found too low (didn't help that it was sat along side a 2 in the mazda show room) and auto was only avail on diesel if I recall.