Yeti alternative...

kibby

Never really understood why people feel the need to replace their cars so frequently.

And I've never really understood why "people" feel that I need a reason to replace (anything) so frequently !

It's my money, taxed, to spend how I feel.

If noone replaced their car until absolutely necessarry what sort of state do you think the car industry would be in or the used market ?

• Like 2

Fred,

You might be interested in a side-by-side comparison test between Vitara 1.4S Allgrip 2.0 Mazda CX-3 Sport Nav in this weeks AutoExpress magazine. They also show "impression" of new Polo based SUV.

I looked at both cx-3 and vitara when I was looking to replace my last yeti, wanted something slightly narrower and vitara looked ideal.

Trouble was it just didn't grab me enough to look at it in a serious way.

Cx-3 i found too low (didn't help that it was sat along side a 2 in the mazda show room) and auto was only avail on diesel if I recall.

The CX3 is based on the 2 but it appears Mazda is going to plug the CX3 - CX5 with a CX4.

The me the 3 is too small and the 5 too big but the drive with limited grip is impressive.......if you really need 4WD, that is.

And I've never really understood why "people" feel that I need a reason to replace (anything) so frequently !

It's my money, taxed, to spend how I feel.

If noone replaced their car until absolutely necessarry what sort of state do you think the car industry would be in or the used market ?

My point is that I don't understand what's different about cars.

'We' don't replace our ovens, washing machines, fridges, carpets, furniture etc etc every few years so why do so many people replace cars, long before they are worn out?

I actually think the car industry, and the economy at large, might be better off without the continual, frantic drive to release new, superficially different, models and spend crazy money on advertising. Is it good for the economy to tie up so much resource in 'facelifting' cars?

My point is that I don't understand what's different about cars.'We' don't replace our ovens, washing machines, fridges, carpets, furniture etc etc every few years so why do so many people replace cars, long before they are worn out?I actually think the car industry, and the economy at large, might be better off without the continual, frantic drive to release new, superficially different, models and spend crazy money on advertising. Is it good for the economy to tie up so much resource in 'facelifting' cars?

I don't think you can compare cars with "ovens, washing machines and fridges" (where the basic design and functionality changes very little year on year) ! But I also know people who decorate rooms every year, regularly replace furniture. AV enthusiasts who regularly upgrade hi-fi. People now replace TV's far sooner than previous generations. Upgrade their mobile phone every year or two.

Again it's their money to spend how they choose.

And yes, I think it's very good for the economy (and jobs).

It's something I thought about for sometime how manufacturers incease the size with each iteration...

Compare, say, the latest Corsa or Polo with the original.

My fear is that, with the trend for using the MQB platform more and more, all their future (small) Seat/VW/Skoda SUV's will actually be bigger than the current Yeti.

• Like 1

I should imagine it's a constant battle to meet ever more stringent emissions regulations in order to stay in business.

Constant work to reduce aerodynamic drag for lower CO2 etc and planning for alternative drive systems .....not to mention all the new must-have toys.

Edited by Ryeman

Totally agree about the size.

I awaited the new Honda HRV with interest until it was announced with the now common small low power engines.

I just hope that the new Seat Ateca arrives with a 187 bhp engine with manual gearbox.

Hopefully the next Yeti will be the same ,but I suspect it will be with the DSG gearbox only .

My next New Yeti looks as if it will be a Seat...Shame.. :dull:

• Like 1

You could just keep the Yeti? Never really understood why people feel the need to replace their cars so frequently.

In my case because it's a leased company car, we like to keep newish cars so we don't waste time and money with breakdowns

Edited by YetiVRS

In my case because it's a leased company car, we like to keep newish cars so we don't waste time and money with breakdowns

My Yeti is also leased..... I downsized slightly from a Tiguan and have to say the Yeti is a better car for me... I like the extra manoeuvrability and an extra 10 mpg with the same engine and DSG. when it's due replacement I'll ask to borrow a Mini Countryman for at least 24 hours. I usually manage to get a 24 hr test drive, if not I hire one for a weekend to see how it feels and performs

I don't think you can compare cars with "ovens, washing machines and fridges" (where the basic design and functionality changes very little year on year) ! But I also know people who decorate rooms every year, regularly replace furniture. AV enthusiasts who regularly upgrade hi-fi. People now replace TV's far sooner than previous generations. Upgrade their mobile phone every year or two.

Again it's their money to spend how they choose.

And yes, I think it's very good for the economy (and jobs).

Whether all this 'buying stuff we don't need' is good for the economy or not is a pretty deep question. Of course on the face of it, it creates jobs etc. But then again so does smashing a window. If someone were to smash my window, a job would be created for a glazer and demand would be created for a new pane of glass, ££GDP££. However, it's hard to argue that going around smashing windows is good for the economy.

I wish cars were more like ovens, washing machines and fridges; practical, utilitarian... and I believe it would be more efficient, economically speaking, if we did design, develop and most importantly buy cars in the same way. It's a huge waste of recourses, many billions globally redesigning essentially the same thing and marketing it. Some might say that's 'good for the economy and creates jobs' but if it doesn't actually 'need' doing then it could be said to be a big waste of time and resources. Recourses (and jobs) that could be spent doing something more useful instead.

• Like 1

But some people are car enthusiasts, they like cars, and in the same way as my Bro in Law can afford to have a custom made set of golf clubs every couple of years, and yet still couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, some people change there cars, because they can and want to. To some it is a style choice, to some it is a status choice, and to some it is a drivers choice. 

But some people are car enthusiasts, they like cars, and in the same way as my Bro in Law can afford to have a custom made set of golf clubs every couple of years, and yet still couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, some people change there cars, because they can and want to. To some it is a style choice, to some it is a status choice, and to some it is a drivers choice. 

Exactly,

we don't always buy what we need, but what we want. [when we can get away with it anyway].

Colin

For me I like the style of the yeti, its definitely a drivers choice, but perhaps not a status choice for the uninitiated, but for those that own a Skoda we know what great VFM they offer.

What,without the V Twin ?

It'll sound like , errrr  , Nothing.

What you really want is one of these. http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/3-wheeler They do a fabulous factory tour and it is what I plan for the first date of my retirement. Roll on Set 2017.

Colin

• Like 1