Yeti alternative...

kibby

Or just another thread started, for discussions of alternatives available in other regions?

Common sense shall prevail. Hopefully.....

• Like 1

• Administrators

BRISKODA Sans Frontières.

I really want to avoid:

Home > Australia > Yeti

Home > Another 80 countries > Yeti

Home > UK > Yeti

Of course it's easier if we all got the same stuff, but isn't it fun looking over the fence to see what you could get... The parts bin does not care about countries... just a number cruncher in an office. After all it used to be a good craic to nip over a border to get a better spec car... gbr to aus might be pushing it :)

This is only work in progress, https://mapme.com/briskoda

• Like 4

Yes, we definitely want to avoid over compartmentalisation! In this instance, I'd think two threads in the same sub-forum would suffice;

'Yeti Alternatives UK' & 'Yeti Alternatives outside the UK'

• Like 1

• Administrators

Kind of, then you get outside regional differences... you're not going to get a winter heat pack option from Narvik and in Darwin. 

Now I know how brussels must be planning a dinner :) I'm not sure what the solution is, I welcome a new thread for interested parties in site help. Here>> http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/397745-regional-discussions-placeholder/

In fact this car IS on sale in UK as the 1.4S 'boosterjet'.

Available only with AllDrive with 6 speed auto or manual box. Available colours are very pooer, only 4 fairly basic available.

When looking to replace my previous Yeti I looked at the Vitara, which bears more than a passing resemblance to the Evoque, as I ideally wanted something slightly narrower than the Yeti.

Despite being very well specced, the Vitara just didn't "grab" me for some reason.

A 1.4S Alldrive auto comes in at about £23500.... which would be 1.2 DSG SE-L territory...

For your eyes only mind

http://www.drive.com.au/what-car-should-i-buy/small-car/citroen-c4-cactus-v-fiat-500x-v-suzuki-vitara-s-turbo-comparison-review-20160422-goczcj?eid=email:nnn-13omn581-ret_newsl-membereng:nnn-04%2F11%2F2013-drive-dom-motoring-nnn-drive-u&campaign_code=13IAU000&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=NTM1ODUxMg

BRISKODA Sans Frontières.

I really want to avoid:

Home > Australia > Yeti

Home > Another 80 countries > Yeti

Home > UK > Yeti

Of course it's easier if we all got the same stuff, but isn't it fun looking over the fence to see what you could get... The parts bin does not care about countries... just a number cruncher in an office. After all it used to be a good craic to nip over a border to get a better spec car... gbr to aus might be pushing it :)

This is only work in progress, https://mapme.com/briskoda

Absolutely. We want to be able to see that other countries have what a number of customers over here want, e.g. the 1.4 in more models other than just L&K and more colour options!

And maybe bring pressure to bear on Skoda UK to be more sensible on what they make available. Unlikely and fruitless I know! :D

Absolutely. We want to be able to see that other countries have what a number of customers over here want, e.g. the 1.4 in more models other than just L&K and more colour options!

And maybe bring pressure to bear on Skoda UK to be more sensible on what they make available. Unlikely and fruitless I know! :D

Just for you

More thoughts from VW

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1103630_as-vw-pledges-more-electric-cars-it-supports-biofuels-as-alternative

I see that Seat have delayed the order book opening fro the Ateca from May till June, as yet unexplained other than "data transfer issues from the factory", whatever that means? Maybe every one fighting over 1.2 and 1.4TSi engines?

I see that Seat have delayed the order book opening fro the Ateca from May till June, as yet unexplained other than "data transfer issues from the factory", whatever that means? Maybe every one fighting over 1.2 and 1.4TSi engines?

Maybe customer reaction to no petrol version with the DSG auto is making them think again - or is that wishful thinking?

• Like 1

Maybe customer reaction to no petrol version with the DSG auto is making them think again - or is that wishful thinking?

I think that is a fair assessment of the situation. On a Seat Ateca forum there have been comments about the lack of petrol DSG options. But we know from Skoda experience that company's have some weird ideas about what its customers want and don't want so maybe Seat are at least 'reacting'?

More likely the new 1.5TSI engine

More likely the new 1.5TSI engine

I might be an old cynic but I can't see VAG launching a new engine in a  Seat, or Skoda for that matter. It is much more likely to be unveiled in the facelifted Golf due later this year, then in Audi models, and later, in Seat and Skoda models.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For transverse engines VAG have only 3 DSG/S-Tronics.

DQ200 7 speed dry clutch currently used by Skoda in petrols and diesels smaller than 2.0.

DQ250 6 speed wet clutch currently used by Skoda for higher torque applications 2.0 petrol and diesel.

DQ500 7 speed wet clutch. Not currently used by Skoda. Used by VW in limited apllications currently. The Tiguan uses this box.

The Q3 also uses the DQ500 7 speed wet clutch.

There is no dry clutch box capable of handling the torque of the 2.0.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

The Seat Ateca in the TDi 150 and 190 form can be specified with a DSG which is 7 speed, so assume that this must be the DQ500.

I might be an old cynic but I can't see VAG launching a new engine in a  Seat, or Skoda for that matter. It is much more likely to be unveiled in the facelifted Golf due later this year, then in Audi models, and later, in Seat and Skoda models.

That would make sense.

Can't have the lesser family members stealing the limelight!

Lots of interesting info on this site re all the different models,have to agree with Llanigraham the Freelander is one that eally stands out

after owning two Landrovers 200tdi and 300tdi they are hard to beat for off road and towing and ride height and space inside and dealing with bad winter roads, bit heavy on the juice but when you have owned one,and you move on,you always look back and remember how good a vehicle it was they just take on board everything you can throw at it ( but not the original Freelander based on the Rover 200 floorpan ) At least a wing mirror will not cost you £433 like on a Yeti !!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to wait to change my car, doesn't seem the right time for a small crossover with so many new / changed models within 6 months

All I want is a petrol, auto, 2 wheel drive, with leather seats and a panoramic roof.  Worried that buying a 1.2 now will suffer big depreciation as I expect the new 1.0 soon and new model follwos within 2 years

Kia and Hyundai have old high emission engines, the Mokka is being replaced, the Audi Q2 will probably be upwards of £30k with a decent spec, Captur doesn't have roof option.  Not keen on CVT transmissions so that rules out some makes.  

I have thought about Seat Ateca (but Seat UK wont sell me a petrol DSG, and you can buy Atecas for equivalent of £15k in Spain (eur 19.6k), so detect a rip off here).  This is a shame because as it is launched ahead of the of the new Yeti would have been good alternative, had they been priced similar to Spain.  And of course the 1.4 tsi DSG is available

I talked to a London area dealer and they indicated not getting any Ateca sales due to lack of petrol auto. 

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

I have decided to wait to change my car, doesn't seem the right time for a small crossover with so many new / changed models within 6 months

All I want is a petrol, auto, 2 wheel drive, with leather seats and a panoramic roof.  Worried that buying a 1.2 now will suffer big depreciation as I expect the new 1.0 soon and new model follwos within 2 years

Kia and Hyundai have old high emission engines, the Mokka is being replaced, the Audi Q2 will probably be upwards of £30k with a decent spec, Captur doesn't have roof option.  Not keen on CVT transmissions so that rules out some makes.  

I have thought about Seat Ateca (but Seat UK wont sell me a petrol DSG, and you can buy Atecas for equivalent of £15k in Spain (eur 19.6k), so detect a rip off here).  This is a shame because as it is launched ahead of the of the new Yeti would have been good alternative, had they been priced similar to Spain.  And of course the 1.4 tsi DSG is available

I talked to a London area dealer and they indicated not getting any Ateca sales due to lack of petrol auto. 

Exactly how I feel. Your spec is same as mine except I am not too bothered about the panoramic roof. Again Ateca was an option until found it was not available with DSG Auto. I can't help but think that Seat have dropped a big doodoo by not including the 1.4 Tsi with DSG. Local dealer diplomatically "says" the same while desperately hoping the petrol DSG will be available soon.