Battery replacement/upgrade, Fabia II, 1.4 TDI, 2008

przeniko

This guide maybe be useful for all of you wondering how to replace your car battery with some larger capacity unit, without locking your car radio with security code. In my case, I don't know what is mine security code and Skoda garage wanted £40 to obtain it.

For quite a while I have been looking for a guide or instruction how to replace the battery in my Fabia 1.4tdi. I could simply replace current battery, which was on its last leg, with the new one same type and capacity, but this will be too easy for me to do. Instead, I went extra mile and spend time in the internet to do a quick research, which helped me to understand what do I need what is compatable and relatively easy to fit without any modification to the battery tray or electrical installation.

My skoda Fabia II 1.4tdi 2008 had originally, factory fitted, 61Ah VARTA battery. Recently this battery became very weak and any day could gave up on me, so I decided to replace it.

post-29123-0-05623200-1400700709_thumb.jpg

I found that best fit for this car is the 77Ah, VARTA Silver E44. It delivers more current for the starter,  especially useful during winter time, I have a plan for upgrading my car-audio and this is another reason to increase the capacity beyond the standard battery.

post-29123-0-47074600-1400700769_thumb.jpg

Installation went very smoothly, no issues. The E44 from VARTA, fits perfectly into the tray and all the fixing fits back, where they should.

Required tools:

- 10mm socket

- 13mm socket

- long extension for the socket

- long flat head screwdriver

- temporary source of 12V power, to keep your radio settings and avoid locking your radio with the security code, I used the battery from my cordless drill which is 12V.

- 1-2m of 2x1mm2 cable to connect the back up power

Required time: 30min

Level of experience: Basic

START

1. Connect your back up power into the positive and negative terminals of the battery, make sure that polarity is correct.

2. Undo the main clamp at the bottom of the battery, with 13mm socket + extension.

3. With 10mm socket, disconnect the positive and negative terminals of the car battery.

4. Unlock three plastic clips at the bottom of the plastic cage, this is the plastic surrounding where the distribution block is attached to.

5. Lift and tilt the plastic cage to the front of the vehicle.

6. Remove the old battery.

7. Instal the new battery in place.

8. Put the cage back into the position, lock it in.

9. Connect back the battery terminals.

10. Disconnect the back up power.

11. Reinstall the main clam at the bottom of the battery, secure the bolt with the 13mm socket.

END

• Like 1

Does anyone knows how to edit your owns post? I have few more pictures to add, but don't know how to do it. I can not see the EDIT button, at the bottom of my post :(.

When I look at one of my own posts, I see three buttons to the left of "MultiQuote" that are greyed out until I move my cursor over the post, the middle one of those three is "Edit". 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually useful information:

1. To avoid sparks, leave the positive terminal of the battery connected the longest.  This means, disconnect the Negative first when taking your battery off and reconnect the Positive first when putting your battery back on.
  2. Your Radio Code is stored in your Car ECU.  When you turn on your car normally, the radio tells the car your Radio Code over the CAN Bus and the ECU saves this.  Once you have disconnected the battery, the radio will ask the ECU for the code and so long as this matches you're good to go (radio will come on after a few seconds, and you won't notice anything).  Only if this doesn't match will the radio ask you for the code.

If you have a 'factory' radio such as a Swing, Amundsen, Columbus whatever you don't need to worry about codes on power outage unless you are actually swapping radios.

• 5 months later...

I was just about to say the similar to above… My system comes on after disconnecting battery, the display says "SAFE" and the unit then works normally, even sting my radio chanel settings! (I got the DANCE system)!

BTW, I replaced my "Tired" battery with a Bosch S5 battery, with a five year guarantee. Great price from carparts4less, fits straight in too.

• 3 years later...

Wasn’t obvious to me how to unclip the battery cage but found further info here if anyone else has trouble: https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk2/vehicle_electrics/electrical_system/starter-current_supply-cc/battery/removing_and_installing_the_battery/

Basically, as per the second diagram, you have to push a screwdriver down into the clips and turn to unlock them.