Fabia VRS oil consumption..........What is acceptable?

My mother bought a used VRS about 5 weeks ago & has not done many miles yet but it seems to be a heavy oil user......................I don't know yet how bad as we have literally just started to monitor it after the low oil light came on last week. Having done a bit of reading on the internet I've discovered this is quite common. All I really need to know is what is classed as acceptable & what is classed as excessive as the dealer has asked us to keep a record.

Welcome to the forum.

Skoda say 0.5 litres in 1000 km (621 miles) is acceptable,  

which is total nonsense,

(it is the Figure in the Owners Manual for all engines, Petrol & Diesel, 3 & 4 Cylinder.)

1 Litre every 1,200 miles can never be acceptable.

They SKODA/VW know that using half that much is too much and a faulty engine.

??

What is your mothers car,

how old,  & how many miles.?

There are issues from June 2010-Sept 2012 engines, these are Code CAVE Engines,

then

Revised engines 2012-1014, CTHE engines, some have had issues.

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services if the car has had Warranty Work,

An Oil Consumption Test, Breather Pipe/Valve Update & a ECU Update and any other work done.

??

From the Low Oil Light Coming on,

How much oil did it take till you had it at the correct level.?

george

• Like 1

My mother bought a used VRS about 5 weeks ago & has not done many miles yet but it seems to be a heavy oil user......................I don't know yet how bad as we have literally just started to monitor it after the low oil light came on last week. Having done a bit of reading on the internet I've discovered this is quite common. All I really need to know is what is classed as acceptable & what is classed as excessive as the dealer has asked us to keep a record.

Is it under skoda warranty?

How old is it (Reg:) mileage

Skoda Dealer supplied?

If so ask if it has had warranty work undertaken on it regarding engine?

Ah thanks for the swift response, it's a 2011 with mid 30's mileage & full dealer history. It was serviced by the dealer prior to delivery. They were on holiday in Yorkshire when the light came on & they put about 3/4 of a litre in but in her words "The dipstick's hard to read" I dipped it the other night at my house & the stick was bone dry, I added about 1/2 a litre & the level was about half way up the hatched area on the stick. Not sure how many miles she's done so far but it wont be many

Binzie,

1/2 a litre per 621 miles used they try to say is OK,  

More than 0.5 litres in 1000km being used you tell them to get a move on, get the work done,

near the figure they still can try to mess you about.

They are on a hiding to nothing now though.

Is it under skoda warranty?

How old is it (Reg:) mileage

Skoda Dealer supplied?

If so ask if it has had warranty work undertaken on it regarding engine?

more than 600 miles per litre, you are on your own 

less than 600 miles per litre strap in, its going to be a bullsh1t fest for the next few weeks 

It came from a Skoda Dealer, is 11 plate & still under Skoda warranty for another 12 months.

As I say we have only just started to monitor the issue so I couldn't say how much it's using per 600 miles at this stage

StirlingMG,  

try a Cold dip.

In the Morning, oil dead cold,  car on the flat.   Do not start the car,

the Cold Oil should be just above the Cross Hatch.

A hot Dip needs done properly, with Hot Oil.

YOU CAN NOT BE SURE THE GARAGE THAT SERVICED THE CAR HAD 3.6 LITRES IN WHEN YOU COLLECTED THE CAR.

So once you do a Cold Dip, and there is enough oil in.

After going 10 miles or more and the oil has got to 80*oC indicated or more,

when ever you stop and switch off, give it about 4-5 minutes and dip the oil.

That is a Hot Dip at Normal Operating Temperature.

It came from a Skoda Dealer, is 11 plate & still under Skoda warranty for another 12 months.

As I say we have only just started to monitor the issue so I couldn't say how much it's using per 600 miles at this stage

Technically ,take George's advice.

Start keeping receipt of oil purchased or get Dealer to supply free of charge.

Log with Dealer but mainly in writing to Skoda UK on the contact part of the website. Outlining your problem and get a case No. raised then get everything in writing ,don't just have phone call or verbal  with the dealer. Good that you have extended warranty.

Gut feel by me says. get it booked in for the 1st test. Don't accept from dealer that you have got to pay for it.

Enjoy the car and try the Cold Dip please and keep us informed.

I bumped the 'Oil Consumption thread',  there are many others over the past 3 years on

the a fair few of the 1,800 CAVE Engine vRS in the UK.

Skoda UK Customer Services Staff a Skoda UK HQ Staff seem to think the problem is blown out of proportion on the Internet.

Odd people,

i think they should be given used  Mk2 Fabia vRS as Company cars so that they get the idea themselves.

• Like 1

I'll do that at the earliest chance,

Ah right I'll have a read.

To be honest I think she may be thinking of offloading it & taking the hit on it......................she loves the car but this has knocked her confidence, understandable really. I've told her not to make any rash decisions until we know how serious the oil consumption really is

• Like 1

I'll do that at the earliest chance,

Ah right I'll have a read.

To be honest I think she may be thinking of offloading it & taking the hit on it......................she loves the car but this has knocked her confidence, understandable really. I've told her not to make any rash decisions until we know how serious the oil consumption really is

A replacement CTHE spec engine, should be YOUR aim ,that should be better than your Mum's  current burning CAVE.

I did that for my partner . It is a cracking little car.

New engine and extended warranty, should get that within a month, if your test fails! 

That will see you okay for a couple of years and some good driving fun for Mum and you!

A replacement CTHE spec engine, should be YOUR aim ,that should be better than your Mum's  current burning CAVE.

I did that for my partner . It is a cracking little car.

New engine and extended warranty, should get that within a month, if your test fails! 

That will see you okay for a couple of years and some good driving fun for Mum and you!

After I first read about the problem I thought "Oh she'll be ok she doesn't drive it hard" but was shocked to hear her news on her return from Yorkshire last week

I didn't tell you she was nearly 70 did I? :D  I was completely shocked when she went for the car, she was looking at the lesser models & saw it & bought it there & then

Well done Mum,have some fun. Get your son to sort it out. Then you'll be fine.

Have some fun! Low cost whilst under warranty,if a little inconvenient at times. Skoda will see you okay with a loan car.

Post 14's really helpful :yawn:

Sorry couldn't resist ;-)

I hope you get it sorted, oil use has been a nightmare for lots of folk on here. On the plus side it means there is a mine of info and people with experience available on the site to help you with it.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

I think the problem with the reaction to Post 14 is Post 14 is actually right. Sinking thousands of pounds into a motor car without doing your homework IS a facepalm moment unfortunately.

But if you look at what has been posted over the last 3 or 4 years you will discover that the owners attitudes themselves have changed from what was outright denial that there was a problem with most of the engines to a weary acceptance that not only is there a massive problem but that the cars are almost blighted as a used purchase.

I was offered a very early vRS Mk II with no warranty and it had had a new engine for £5700 recently and I still wouldn't touch it because you just don't know until you actually live with it to see if it's a good one or not.

I'm sure once your mum gets hers sorted out so it doesn't use crazy amount of oil I'm certain she'll be delighted with it.

• Like 2

enjoy the car, the oil usage is just an inconvenience, even after an engine change mine still likes a drink

as the scots would say, werrrrrrrrrrrrrrr doooooooooomed

As the English would say - "Don't panic, don't panic!" ;)

Out of interest I've just been on webuyanycar - still offering me what I consider a very decent price for my chocolate-gearboxed, oil-drinking, dangerous-handling, filling-loosening dog of a car. :p

• Like 4

Ah thanks for the swift response, it's a 2011 with mid 30's mileage & full dealer history. It was serviced by the dealer prior to delivery. They were on holiday in Yorkshire when the light came on & they put about 3/4 of a litre in but in her words "The dipstick's hard to read" I dipped it the other night at my house & the stick was bone dry, I added about 1/2 a litre & the level was about half way up the hatched area on the stick. Not sure how many miles she's done so far but it wont be many

Regarding mileage covered, if she bought it from a Skoda dealer as you say, then the purchase paperwork would have the mileage on it at the time of sale.

Then compute back against oil purchased / used. That will give you a starting point.

"£5700 for an Early vRS with a replacement engine."

Well thats an instant & easy £1,000 profit, even punting it to WBAC,  

4 years old and 3 previous owners.

You can even buy a 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty' for under £600 and get cheap fun out of that.

or 'Car Care Plan.'

After all the vehicle has no 'Outstanding Issues', it got a new engine.

Skoda will do the 'Service Campaign' Field Action on the DSG,

& if the DSG fails Skoda will be replacing Gearboxes if they have been allowing cars to have 

the wrong type of oil in for 4 years, but they have known for over 2 years now.