Fabia VRS oil consumption..........What is acceptable?

I recon that if you took Skoda to court, stating that anything better than 0.5 litre to 1000 km was not acceptable to you they would point out that the manual states the probable oil consumption as such.

So you would not win; anyone tried it?

Think VAG would have to submit actual figures for the specific model when in defence and not rely on the generalised manual figures.

I'm also lead to believe that there have been some personal settlements made, outside of court.

There have now been hundreds of engine replacements based on a VAG/Skoda /Audi/ Seat Test process and procedure - it has been applied differently by all these associated companies service departments.

Question: Does this test (pass or fail) procedure relate to the generalised manual consumption - I think not!! 

Edited by vrskeith

Think Briskoda members alone plus help from other Globally owners could blow a big hole in any Company defence. Using EU Law etc.

Citizen Smith "Power to the People"!

9/10 OF THE ARGUMENT, is that engine replacements are being done!

Edited by vrskeith

I did enquire of my dealer as to the criteria they would apply to a test on my previous CAVE vRS and they said they would use 0.5 litre to 1000km. My latest CTHE vRS is a lot worse than the CAVE. But I can't be bothered with the hassle.

I did enquire of my dealer as to the criteria they would apply to a test on my previous CAVE vRS and they said they would use 0.5 litre to 1000km. My latest CTHE vRS is a lot worse than the CAVE. But I can't be bothered with the hassle.

Ask to read the written procedure issued by Skoda TO THEIR DEALERSHIPS for the testing process.

There are extracts of the procedure on various threads relating to high oil consumption. See Fabia mk2 forum.

Ask to read the written procedure issued by Skoda TO THEIR DEALERSHIPS for the testing process.

There are extracts of the procedure on various threads relating to high oil consumption. See Fabia mk2 forum.

Thanks, I will look it up.

Hi all!!

First post on this forum sorry if its a bit long but been following since i got my vrs and thought id share my experience!

I bought my vrs at the start of december it was first registered september 2011 so just over three years old.

Done my first 900 miles in the car and it required a litre of oil after 700 miles to take it to the top off the hatched area. I checked the oil when i picked the car up and after reading posts on here im convinced it was overfilled.

The last service was done in september by what appears to be an independent garage so for my peace of mind im gonna drop the oil next week and use either castrol edge or vw longlife so i know whats in it!!

Other than that the first 900 miles have been awesome totally in love with the car!! :)

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum.

That is the best plan, then you know what is in, and importantly the Oil Filter is changed.

So VW 502 00,  5w 40 Full Synthetic is OK, or VW 504 00, 5w 30 Long Life if you want.

No need to use Castrol or Quantum if you can buy the right stuff cheaper.

Check and see if your car was part of the DSG Service Campaign, and decide if you want Skoda to do it free if not done.

An Extended Skoda Approved Warranty might be an Idea if the car qualifies, Service History & Mileage.

2 Years is better bargain than 1.

Enjoy it.

george

PS

Service Schedule is for the Brake Fluid change at 3 years.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Hi george!!

Thanks for the reply!!

I rang the skoda dealer the car originally came from so i could get the history on the car with regards to warranty work/recalls.

The only warranty work done was for "an electrical short" in the door when the car was three month old.

Nothing else therefore im assuming no dsg service and no ecu update. (Would mine require this first registered sep 2011)?

Also then im assuming its never been in for consumption tests or breather mods. 

Double checked the orange sticker on the motor and its a 2011 cave lump so im 99% it will be the original motor.

Having read the posts on here im also going to change the plugs for the oem NGK plugs for that extra piece of mind.

With regards to the oil ill have a look then see whats about for the price. Im expecting mine to use oil as my commute to work is 8 miles of stop start and 30mph stuff so she never really gets warm. Since ive had the car its only had momentum 99 in it but i imagine the half a tank that was in it when i got it was whatever crap the dealer uses.

Will do the brake fluid change aswell :)

James

If it is running fine, then do not worry about getting the ECU Update, maybe a competent Workshop had it on the diagnostic 

at 12 months or 24 months and did it then.

Check if it needs the DSG Service Campaign,

or if all is fine, then maybe do not check, because if they never tell you,. then Skoda has responsibility into the future 

if they do no recall.  (if you see what i mean.)

So it should have had a Pollen Filter changed at 2 years.

& you really need to look at the Air Filter, worth changing for £16.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Runs perfectly fine so far no signs of misfires so im not too worried.

Will the dealer be able to tell me through my reg if the car was part of the dsg service campain?

And if so will i be charged for it as my car is out of manufactures warranty?

According to the service book (and invoice that was with it) the air and pollen filters were changed at last service in september but ill whip them out and check anyways.

Yes they can tell you from the Registration.

It is a Service Campaign from May 2014,

And there are early cars that they say do not need doing.

It is the Synthetic Oil changed to Mineral & an ECU update for the DSG.

Free Gratis and nothing to do with the Warranty,

But Skoda / VW should be extending the Warranty, and if something goes wrong because they do not tell owners,

or the People doing the Service Campaign mess up, they will need to pay up.

in NZ they did it properly changing Mechatronic Control Units,

in the UK it looks like they are crossing their fingers and living in hope of no failures.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Edited by goneoffSKi

Hello Folks

Sorry for the lack of reports but after taking 7 weeks to give us an answer in a fortnight :wonder:  the dealers took the car back in for the head of aftermarket warranty to come & inspect it (I thought he did it last time) they have decided the way forward is to replace the engine.....................................REEEEEEEEZULT

StirlingMG,

Have you got a date for engine change yet?

Hi all!!

Just thought I'd update I've now done 1150 miles and its used nearly 2 litres of oil!!!

Informed the garage I purchased from and after initially being told this is normal (I laughed) the car is going to a skoda dealer for an oil consumption test on Wednesday.

Is anyone able to confirm what the most recent test procedure entailed and what the failure figure is please?!

Much love

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hettrick44

The failure figure is 0.5L/1000km, though that's probably exceedingly generous, and it seems you're more than double that. A few people have apparently tested between 0.4 and 0.49L/1000km, which is a suspiciously narrow pass, so watch out for that one.

They will get you to run a set distance (sometimes it's 300km, sometimes it's 1000km - every dealer seems to have a different procedure) and measure the amount of oil used. Just as importantly as verifying the amount used (get something in writing with the test results, if you can), you should run the car as you normally would - that is, don't go and do a long drive to try and get it done with. Most people find these engines use less oil on a long run than in lots of short trips.

The most likely procedure will be to then try the breather mod/s to lower the consumption, which it probably won't (10% chance of success is my guess from anecdotal evidence), but it might squeeze you under the 0.5L. A lot of the dealers seem to want to you to get into that 0.4-0.49L/1000km range, so they can call it "job done".

Edited by OzFabia
  • Like 2

Hi ozfabia

Yeah mine should fail miserably then!! My situation is slightly different in that I bought an out of skoda warranty from an independent dealer but it is in warranty with them.

Thankfully they agreed that the test should be done with a skoda dealer and not themselves. So should I be getting the car back to run myself during the test because this isn't how the guy at my dealer worded it?

Obviously due to my massively over the failure rate consumption I won't be accepting a pass result if that's what they come back with

I take it the Dealer you bought the car from is not the Warranty Underwriter & it is a Commercially Bought Warranty.

So who is the Warranty with,

and do you have the Policy & T&C's.,  & have you read it?

Some Extended Warranty & Used Car Warranty providers are going to say that Skoda / VW knew the issues with the engine.

If an Extended Warranty Company have to pay to buy a Replacement Engine, then that will have a 2 Year Warranty 

as an Official Skoda Part.

The Warranty Manager is probably going to be needing an Inspection of the engine, not just an Oil Consumption test.

No point even suggesting the Engine is Rebuilt, replacement will be required.

Engine & Labour over £3,500.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

The dealership themselves give 3 months warranty with all used cars bought therefore as I'm in the first 3 months it's on the garage.

They were selling extended warranty plans with the AA for when the first 3 months ended but I didn't take this up due to the extortionate cost. At the end of the three months I was going to Get a separate aftermarket warranty this another company.

If it fails I can't see the dealer paying for a new engine I would have thought they'll likely try and offer me another car. Would I be within my rights to demand a new engine in this car?

I understand a 3 Month Warranty on major Drive Train Components.

But is that it,  the Dealer Owners own Warranty, or has it got some real Cover & Provided by their chosen Warranty Company.

For a Twincharger you would really want a 'Skoda Approved Extended Warranty', provided by Car Care ltd, if you were buying 

an Extended Warranty.

As it is now, any Warranty Taken out could be Void very easily due to there being an outstanding issue / Fault.

So Unless Skoda give Goodwill, it will need to be the Dealer you bought from paying or using the Warranty Provider.

Any Issues then CAB & the Trading Standards advice is needed, 

The Dealer gets the chance to sort the fault before you reject the car, and they can only sort this issue with a New Engine.

PS

If the option is there to return the car for another, then that might be your best plan.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

It's the dealers own warranty that is provided during the three months not an outside warranty companies.

Looking at the warranties that's the one I would have gone for given the piece of mind a skoda one should have given me.

I do highly doubt the garage would pay for a replacement engine so another car is what I imagine would be offered to me, when I dropped the car off I told the service manager my consumption and very carefully hinted that they'ed likely have the car back.

Things won't move forward now until skoda has done the test and in the meantime I'm stuck with a dreary 1.0 Nissan micra courtesy car haha!!

• Like 1

The thing is that if the Garage now takes the car back, then legally they are in a bad place if they try punting it out to another buyer,

or as some have done, put it to Auction and another Dealer or Trader gets it.

It needs a new engine at some point.

This is the Problem really,

only 1,800 sold in the UK 2010-2012 & Skoda UK should have the Faulty Engine Cars out of the Market rather than them 

getting the faulty cars in, they left them doing the merry go round of the car trade including Franchised Main Dealers.

Dealers telling Owners that High Oil use was acceptable for 4 years means many obviously faulty cars were never properly repaired.

Skoda CZ & Skoda UK to blame, along with VW, Seat & Audi that all acted the same.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Sadly the likelihood would be that they send it to auction another dealer would buy then another buyer like me (who probably should have done his prior reaserch better ;) ) ends up with an out of manufacturers warranty car with serious issues.

Surely soon we will see 3 year old plus cars with 4+ previous owners for the reason. At what point will independent dealers start refusing them as part exes?

I find it astounding that the one previous owner of my car had obviously put up with the oil consumption for 3 years before selling.

Has skoda/seat/vw ever admitted to anyone exactly why these cave lumps suffered from oil consumption issues?

Aye, the engine is now in stock & the car goes in a week on Tuesday :dance:

Happy Days!!!! £4500 of New Motor Mum!! Now run it in Carefully Mum (70 years young.) - No thrashing until 2000 on the clock.

Hope the installation goes well, should feel like a new car!

Have you or Mum discussed warranty extension etc. with Skoda UKCS yet?

Edited by vrskeith