Fabia VRS oil consumption..........What is acceptable?

You need to take care if you know or suspect it is a High Oil Users and you are going to wait for a Oil Light Warning or the Low Oil Message to show,.

Some never got a low oil light, just a low oil pressure Red Light.

and some that did get a low oil light, then found it took 1.5- 2 litres to get the oil up to the correct level.

2 litres low in a 3.6 litre capacity engine is damn low.

But then thats how VW built the engine, and that is how some are..

• Like 1

You need to learn your engines oil consumption habit. My car uses 500 ml per 1000 miles, so I check the dipstick every 1000 miles and top up accordingly. When I first got the car (and blissfully unaware of oil consumption) the yellow light pinged on and took 1l to bring up to normal operating level.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to briskoda but my 2013 vrs is going in for an oil consumption test on Monday. Seems to be using between 5-600 mls per 1000kms and before you ask about

the dipstick ive done it cold and hot.

Now the thing is I have a feeling the build date on my skoda might be 2012 so I don't know what engine I have, but so far I have put 3 litres of oil in plus the top up

from the dealer from when I rang and complained the first time seems a bit excessive considering ive only done 10,500 kms.

Will post results next week.

This week's check required 1/2 litre & the car has only covered just under 300 miles since last week's check, I'm going to run the car next week while the oldies are on holiday & put a few miles on it & just see how we get on

So it appears this thread has died but just wanted to let you guys know about trip to skoda on Monday.

They are going to do an oil consumption test every 1000kms over 3000kms. Spoke to the mechanic and he said

That skoda said that up to 900mls to 1000kms is acceptable! We both agreed that's just lunacy but I guess I'll just to wait and see

What happens.

Where did he get that figure from, 'Skoda Technical Experts' ?

Or a figure plucked out of the air.

Skoda accept that more than 0.5 litres per 1000 km (500 mls in 621 miles) is not acceptable.

The Owners manuals say that Oil use 'May' be as high as that.

In the UK engines have been replaced where Oil usage is that high.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

i just managed to get just over 1 litre to 2800 miles. would you guys say this is acceptable? 

imo i didnt think that was too bad :)

especially considering all i do is boot it around town and drive during rush hour...?

Edited by matthewl
  • Like 2

1 litre used in 4506 km (2,800 miles) sounds just fine, if that is the type of usage the car gets.

Just dont overfill the oil.

• Like 1

My car uses 500ml per 1000 miles. Some people may deem that too much, but my car runs good and I'm happy topping it up.

I still believe the horror stories we read are due to people overfilling rather than engines using oil.

• Like 1

My engine using no oil, thrashed before ending each trip or during a trip, tank full after tank full of Tesco Momentum 99.

Another driver had it 3 weeks over the Festive Season, 

they only did 520 miles, and yet the Engine needed 1.2 Litres of oil to bring it back to 3.7 litres in the Engine.

when i got it back.

(they did lots of short drives and there must have been a few nippy drives, 

because its average mpg was 30.9, and they did put in Shell V-Power Nitro which i asked them not to.

I would prefer not to have their un-named Additives & Detergents (like Sodium) in a Twincharger

even if it is 99 ron)

So several thousand miles hard use since, no oil used since that top up,

and then none used since another Oil & Filter Change with VW 504 Long Life 5w 30.

Well I've got custody of the car for the next week so I'll be able to do my clay cold check on it just to be sure where the level's at, once I've done that I'll use it for work & see how we get on

Where did he get that figure from, 'Skoda Technical Experts' ?

Or a figure plucked out of the air.

Skoda accept that more than 0.5 litres per 1000 km (500 mls in 621 miles) is not acceptable.

The Owners manuals say that Oil use 'May' be as high as that.

In the UK engines have been replaced where Oil usage is that high.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Yeah well apparently the experts because he had to ring them to see what to do (alarm bells ring)

but then I realised I am the the only owner of a fabia vrs where I live so its new to them.

I do agree that figure was plucked out of the air just to make it higher than my claims of 5-600mls.

I have a feeling my own skoda dealership may not know exactly what they are doing specially when they pulled the

old things are different here in Australia routine.

If I have to spend $80 aud a year on oil so be it cause I love this car.

1 litre used in 4506 km (2,800 miles) sounds just fine, if that is the type of usage the car gets.

Just dont overfill the oil.

Thought so :)

Each one is different Matthew but just as a gauge, my car has done less than a litre in 10k miles.

If the car runs well and you aren't fussed to keep doing little top ups, then I would use that as a gauge of what is acceptable.

Yeah IMO that is pretty acceptable, tbh i have had the car almost 3 months and its cost me a tenner in oil, thats purely offset by the fuel savings its making opposed to the focus st i had... so imo its pretty cheap :)

I think the problem with the reaction to Post 14 is Post 14 is actually right. Sinking thousands of pounds into a motor car without doing your homework IS a facepalm moment unfortunately.

But if you look at what has been posted over the last 3 or 4 years you will discover that the owners attitudes themselves have changed from what was outright denial that there was a problem with most of the engines to a weary acceptance that not only is there a massive problem but that the cars are almost blighted as a used purchase.

I was offered a very early vRS Mk II with no warranty and it had had a new engine for £5700 recently and I still wouldn't touch it because you just don't know until you actually live with it to see if it's a good one or not.

I'm sure once your mum gets hers sorted out so it doesn't use crazy amount of oil I'm certain she'll be delighted with it.

I came to the darkside from the older brother side of the forum to see why the mk2 seemed inexpensive second hand despite the majority having very low mileage, I think this had a lot to do with it..

I test drove one a few weeks ago though and it's a fun car, the selling point to me would be the dsg, which I absolutely love, so jealous of mums Audi TT 2.0t Dsg s line Quattro!

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys.

i just put my first litre in tonight. i was half expecting it due to the way i was driving.

My oil light never came on but being a paranoid wreck i thought id better be safe.

i dont mind the oil consumption too much. if anything, it makes me check my car more often.

Well it's gone in today, they've done the gearbox oil, looking at the dodgy windows & they've said they'll top up the oil to the mark, my mother then has to do 200 miles & take it back in, they'll then weigh the oil.................does this sound like the norm??

Well it's gone in today, they've done the gearbox oil, looking at the dodgy windows & they've said they'll top up the oil to the mark, my mother then has to do 200 miles & take it back in, they'll then weigh the oil.................does this sound like the norm??

No it's not the Skoda process.Drain ,weigh top up to 3.6ltr.then do the 200 miles.then weigh as the cross check afte the test mileage.

Have you done a test calc for consumption prior to this?

Edited by vrskeith

Evening folks,

With apologies to StirlingMG for possibly hi-jacking his thread. We are new owners of a 12 plated (1st registered Apr 12) CAVE engined VRS with 22500 on the clock. We picked it up on 2nd June and the car has been subjected to mixed usage, my wife is a home carer doing loads of short runs, while I have had it out for longer runs including the occasional blast.

I put in 900ml of Castrol Edge 5w30 last Sunday, and with the car having been driven around 500 miles over the week have checked the oil levels (cold test, first thing this morning on flat ground) today to discover that it was well down on the dipstick. I have now had to add 750 to 800ml to top up. From what I have read on this thread this appears to confirm there is likely to be a problem. To date there have been no warning lights or buzzers, I haven't allowed the levels to drop that far due to fear of damaging the engine.

Can I ask if there is a kind of set process for raising this issue, and who I should raise it with in the first instance?

The car wasn't bought from a Skoda dealer, it was bought from Arnold Clark Ford in Linwood. There is a service history, or at least a service book showing services have been done. There lurks a potential problem there as well as one of the services was done at what I assume to be an independent garage near the previous owner.

Should I be going direct to Skoda with this or should I try the dealer I bought the car from? I would assume that the car is still under warranty with Skoda until April 2015 and I would rather attempt to have this resolved with them if at all possible, assuming I am correct that the level of consumption so far indicates a problem/ faulty engine.

Thanks for any advice given,

Richard

Raise your case via the Skoda website. Using the Contact email. Giving a brief discription of problem. Your reg no. And dealer details. Ask for Case No. To be raised. Copy to dealer.

Sorry was in a bit of a rush earlier ,PM me if you what more details relating to the further advice and the process.

I'm sure George will be on your case shortly and others.

You will get plenty of sound /quality advice.

Catch up with you shortly.

Edited by vrskeith

Raise your case via the Skoda website. Using the Contact email. Giving a brief discription of problem. Your reg no. And dealer details. Ask for Case No. To be raised. Copy to dealer.

Thanks for this, I notice elsewhere on the forum that the address given for contact is [email protected] whereas the skoda website simply has a form submission? Which one is best to use?

To make things worse, I think that I have discovered a large patch of oil on the road where the car has been parked overnight. Kind of dried in, so I have moved car to see if fresh oil also comes out. Not looking good.

I'm going to phone the dealer and advise them of the problem as a courtesy and raise it with Skoda UK as suggested. 

• Like 1

Sorry on a phone & not able to see all the posts.

If a Car is still in Original Manufacturer Warranty,  Raise a Case with Skoda UK & arrange to get the car into a Skoda Dealership Workshop.

When the car has been bought from Arnold Clark,  even if supplied by Arnold Clark as a new car.

I would try to go to a non Arnold Clark Skoda Workshop.     In fact i would avoid at all costs.

But the is just a personal opinion, based on others experiences.

george

PS 

Get your Online Off.    But get on the phone to Skoda UK Customer Services,  and get everything after that in writing from them.

Keep all records.

First off.

FIND OUT FROM SKODA ANY SERVICE AND WARRANTY RECORD OF WORK DONE ON THE SKODA COMPUTER RECORDS.

• Like 1