Whats best mpg youve had

Like me.

I paid for my own car and pay for my own fuel. It's just so boring. It's like top trumps but with one subject!!

If you want fuel consumption go and get the bus!!!

Hearing how somebody drove on an A road then a B road and a bit if motorway whilst blowing on the accelorator just sends me to sleep!!

I'm sorry but it plays straight into the skoda stereotype of "boring".

I love my superb, it's the best car I've ever had, I get lots of SPG "smiles per gallon". It is far from boring. However driving it like its an exercise in MPG extraction turns it into a boring car??

I'd just like to say that I don't find skoda cars boring in any way. I like them so much I have two!! However I have heard it said on more than one occasion by others.

Driving at 50mph on the motorway is boring!!!

Like me.

I paid for my own car and pay for my own fuel. It's just so boring. It's like top trumps but with one subject!!

If you want fuel consumption go and get the bus!!!

Hearing how somebody drove on an A road then a B road and a bit if motorway whilst blowing on the accelorator just sends me to sleep!!

I'm sorry but it plays straight into the skoda stereotype of "boring".

I love my superb, it's the best car I've ever had, I get lots of SPG "smiles per gallon". It is far from boring. However driving it like its an exercise in MPG extraction turns it into a boring car??

I'd just like to say that I don't find skoda cars boring in any way. I like them so much I have two!! However I have heard it said on more than one occasion by others.

Driving at 50mph on the motorway is boring!!!

50 mph might be boring, personally I have no intention of being caught speeding in the 50mph average speed camera areas. A couple of years ago on the M5 at Bristol 14,000 were caught speeding by the average cameras in just 6 months http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/14-000-motorway-speeders-caught-months/story-17039453-detail/story.html - I wasn't one of them and have no intention of becoming one of them in the future. So, 50mph may be boring but when you get to 12 points and have to use the bus I'll still be driving my Superb, and having lots of 'smiles per gallon'.

In a 50mph speed limit as with all speed limits I obey the law.

I don't look forward and plan my route around 50mph speed limits in order to get the best MPG?

"Smiles per gallon" really has got a few people a little upset? Once you get away from the Mpg in the maxidot and embrace the pleasure of driving its really very nice and smiles follow.

In a 50mph speed limit as with all speed limits I obey the law.

I don't look forward and plan my route around 50mph speed limits in order to get the best MPG?

"Smiles per gallon" really has got a few people a little upset? Once you get away from the Mpg in the maxidot and embrace the pleasure of driving its really very nice and smiles follow.

I understand what you are saying and agree to some extent. The only difference in viewpoint is maybe that enjoying the driving experience (being smooth and progressive at the same time) can actually result in amazing mpg as a by product, which, in itself is a fun factor.

Fact is, we all seem to love our Superbs. :)

I'm falling asleep!!!

I thought it was the constant delusional figures you were on about not the driving styles,

I really shouldn't post in these type threads but I do sadly, on every forum you can always find the Dodge Viper owner who gets 60mpg, the best ones are those that beat the no traffic, no wind official tunnel simulation figures why the car firms haven't snapped these people up is beyond me,

I call it a lack of understanding how the MFD works, it might say 80mpg but that won't translate at the pump, and tbh to stand any chance of 80mpg even out of a little 1L car you'd need a clear road and no reasons to stop, so it's either BS or a user mistake tbh,

Still if it makes people happy that they added an hour behind the wheel to save £1.50 who are we to argue, gives the milkman extra time to get out of the house as well :D

I thought it was the constant delusional figures you were on about not the driving styles,

I really shouldn't post in these type threads but I do sadly, on every forum you can always find the Dodge Viper owner who gets 60mpg, the best ones are those that beat the no traffic, no wind official tunnel simulation figures why the car firms haven't snapped these people up is beyond me,

I call it a lack of understanding how the MFD works, it might say 80mpg but that won't translate at the pump, and tbh to stand any chance of 80mpg even out of a little 1L car you'd need a clear road and no reasons to stop, so it's either BS or a user mistake tbh,

Still if it makes people happy that they added an hour behind the wheel to save £1.50 who are we to argue, gives the milkman extra time to get out of the house as well :D

Couldn't agree more!!!

• Like 1

Just like to clear up that "smiles per gallon" does not mean driving fast/breaking the speed limit or treating the public roads as a playground.

It simply means getting enjoyment and smiling whilst driving.

Always keeping your eyes on the road and not the maxi dot is in my opinion very important.

I can confirm my own findings as posted above as my car is fully tracked by Quartix http://www.quartix.net/ and as this is also linked to my fuel card there is no mistake in my findings - every distance between fill ups is measured exactly as is how much fuel I fill up with and automatically recorded on our company server which I can check on at any time. Since I had the car new 9 months ago nothing else on our fleet has come anywhere near my Superb Greenilne for running costs. This is also how I worker out the 2.5mpg discrepancy between the maxidot readout and actual figures recorded from the server.

This goes to show just how good the 1.6 TDI can be given the ideal circumstances http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/259 .

• Like 1

I can confirm my own findings as posted above as my car is fully tracked by Quartix http://www.quartix.net/ and as this is also linked to my fuel card there is no mistake in my findings - every distance between fill ups is measured exactly as is how much fuel I fill up with and automatically recorded on our company server which I can check on at any time. Since I had the car new 9 months ago nothing else on our fleet has come anywhere near my Superb Greenilne for running costs. This is also how I worker out the 2.5mpg discrepancy between the maxidot readout and actual figures recorded from the server.

This goes to show just how good the 1.6 TDI can be given the ideal circumstances http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/259 .

Yes, I'm amazed at the running costs of my GreenLine. It's the cheapest by far of any car I've ever owned. The mpg is spectacular for normal driving. Mine has done 54k and I'm still on the original tyres, pads and discs. The rears are looking good for another 30k. Add in the cheap servicing at 19k intervals then it's extremely good on the running costs.

• Like 1

I did see the other day and iirc it was on the Skoda site or a Skoda or Vx dealers site, under the mpg there was a balloon box that said,

These figures we're conducted under official simulation test methods (or words to that effect) however it is unlikely you will get these figures in the real world,

How refreshing to see something like that and especially from someone trying to see you a car in the first place, I thought it was worth a mention :sun:

I've had 60.2mpg out of my 170hp 4x4 Manual - had to drive it at just under 60mph for 60 miles down the A12 from Ipswich to Romford to do that.

I was the slowest thing on the road that day, so won't be doing it again soon ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon on a 15% disparity between maxidot and brim to brim

However maxidot showed average of 57mpg recently and brim to brim came up as a disappointing 42mpg which is slightly above the overall average of 40mpg I have achieved overall

• Like 1

Superb L&K 170 with a DTUK tuning unit fitted.

Goes like a rocket ( its nickname is "The flying turd!!")

I ignore the maxidot mpg reading as I get 500 miles to every tankful.

That will do me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A,   2 1/2 hour trip in the Loire Valley almost flat road following three french trucks, no cruise control, no hurry,  traffic lights and roundabouts,

69.5 mpg, really miffed I did not get to 70 mpg.  3 year old 140 bhp Superb DSG 40,000 miles. I use this word a lot now in my vocabulary, SUPERB.

R. S. J.

Superb L&K 170 with a DTUK tuning unit fitted.

Goes like a rocket ( its nickname is "The flying turd!!")

I ignore the maxidot mpg reading as I get 500 miles to every tankful.

That will do me!

Oh man do I feel for you, you're getting 2/300 miles less than all the others :notme:

I appreciate your honesty btw, your figure is about right imo.

Edited by Supurbia
  • Like 1