TMC or BLUESPARK for VRS

I genuinely hope that this works out well for those willing to test - please do not take any negative comments as anything other than guys on here not wanting to see more Mk2 vRS's going pop and from my side more negative experiences of tuning this engine.

My parting shot would be that seemingly REVO themselves struggled to get stage 1 mapping spot on for this car with a number of reported issues on here, I struggle to see how a £130 plug in box isn't risky.

More than anything, whatever you do, only plug one of these into a proven reliable engine that isn't burning oil or misfiring.

The TMC was an unknown quantity when people first trialled it and yet it has become a default option in some ways for plug in tuning on this car, built on only a handful of owners testing.

Worth looking back over threads and comparing the Dyno Maps and AFR Graphs for cars with a remap and those with plug in options.

So with that said I will now sit back with interest (and popcorn) and see what happens.

Hell at least it's not another oil/pulling to the left/LEDs/which tyres/DSG recall thread :D

Have at it

• Like 1

Hell at least it's not another oil/pulling to the left/LEDs/which tyres/DSG recall thread :D

Have at it

100% this. Nearly fell off my seat when I saw this thread.

In all seriousness I do hope this goes well and I look forward to reading feedback.

My box has been despatched - should be arrive today or tomorrow :)

Fingers crossed it'll be ok. Will have to get it on the dyno again to see what it's doing for me.

I'll put an update on this thread and a more detailed one on my project thread for anyone who's interested

• Like 4

Good wrote up so far! Would be good to do a back to back comparison with the TMC box, with my TMC set to level 7 I find that the power is much stronger from 3.7k all the way up the the red. Gear changes under load and much more noticeable/aggressive which I like, gives the acceleration more drama and makes you feel like you are making real progress. I've also noticed that the up shift farts from the exhaust are louder and the engine makes an even better sound under hard acceleration.

Same as your Bluespark I have noticed no difference in oil temps and my MPG while commuting is still the same.

It would be interesting to get your car on the Dyno to see what it's putting out now.

Hi Guys, both TMC and now Bluespark (well done for trying this out mrburdon)

If you leave these on the cars I would suggest you give some consideration to servicing intervals and when you will check and change your spark plugs.  It will give the car best chance of staying healthy and improve your own peace of mind.  You are essentially running Stage 1 cars now.

Oh and.........Dyno, Dyno, Dyno, Dyno!!!!!

We want to see a TMC/Bluespark shootout :D

• Like 2

Dyno run for me is a must! I have the ITG as well so it would interesting to see what power I have now. Overall BHP isn't the only thing to consider. Torque and overall driveability are equally as important and would be interesting to compare the two.

Agree with servicing, getting my plugs changed early at my 3 year (28000) service for piece of mind.

Dyno run for me is a must! I have the ITG as well so it would interesting to see what power I have now. Overall BHP isn't the only thing to consider. Torque and overall driveability are equally as important and would be interesting to compare the two.

Agree with servicing, getting my plugs changed early at my 3 year (28000) service for piece of mind.

If you can get yourself to Awesome GTI Ally then the comparison with my APR Stage 1 and the CTHE that ran there would be fair.

• Like 2

Spoke to dynotech in Ripley, they don't do runs on weekends so won't be able to get any results up until next weekend.

Maybe good to get a thread on readouts for mapped cars and box tuned cars so easy to compare figures and curves

• Like 1

Spoke to dynotech in Ripley, they don't do runs on weekends so won't be able to get any results up until next weekend.

Maybe good to get a thread on readouts for mapped cars and box tuned cars so easy to compare figures and curves

very happy to hear your results, have you changed the setting? 

im excited for more of us to be testing these, i have emailed bluespark and asked if there will be any further development of the unit for the VRS

im going to be buying mine once my rent is paid tomorrow and know how much i have to see me till the 14th. 

(im buying a mountain bike and all the **** which goes with it this month so money is tight :( )

After the drive from Derby to Luton (2am so roads perfectly quiet) the MPG was hovering around 43. This was a combination of 50mph and 80mph all done on the M1. 

So, for me, no decrease in MPG to what im used to (i have had it at 52mpg but that was achieved through mostly 50mph average speed cameras).

I have found now though that planting the right foot in the wet is pretty pointless from gear 1 to 3 - the wheels just spin up its hilarious!

But, iv now routed it around the engine and have informed my insurance - 23quid to add 10-25% increase in power (also added on the springs and exhaust). 

Routing the cables took a while as i didn't want it touching anything that would be too hot and Iv also put the box in an easily accessible position so i can tweak the settings as i want - iv got nothing to hide :)

So here we are with it fitted. 

DSC_0848_zpspabeyagp.jpg

DSC_0853_zps3ureq9ic.jpg

So Overal - do i regret buying it - not not at all, im really chuffed with how the car feels on both the middle and one setting up.

Good Points

Cheep'er'

easy to fit

adds noticeable power gains

rapid delivery (next day)

Aluminium case

labelled up connectors

Bad Points

Picture used to show how to fit the box was NOT a 1.4TSI, all other details stated 1.4TSI however - this was my greatest concern. 

Top setting isnt refined so wont be running it on that so probly wont achieve the 207bhp Bluespark claim. 

The connector used to switch between the settings is poor, a dial would be better. 

The box is not water proof, only splash proof. 

Heres a crappy shot of the box showing the LEDs and connector used to change the settings. 

Oh, and out of the 3 leds, only one lights up - not sure what the others do but its working correctly according to the instructions supplied so im not fussed

DSC_0855_zpsbmkgedir.jpg

• Like 3

Not much to update really. Iv just made up a little bracket to mount the box on more securely in the engine bay. At the right of the air box there a spare nut which iv now made use of. 

money wont allow a dyno run this month but hoping to get it done asap.  

Total miles on the box now are 252 - average mpg over this time is 47.1 so its gone up on motor way journeys.

The car is smoother to drive now as there is more power so can keep in the higher gears  without having to change down. 

When pushing on there is a marked improvement in torque just after each gear change which is a lovely feeling. 

As we/i know its not going to make the engine pop so all i can say is try it and if you dont like it, return it. 

Not much to update really. Iv just made up a little bracket to mount the box on more securely in the engine bay. At the right of the air box there a spare nut which iv now made use of. 

money wont allow a dyno run this month but hoping to get it done asap.  

Total miles on the box now are 252 - average mpg over this time is 47.1 so its gone up on motor way journeys.

The car is smoother to drive now as there is more power so can keep in the higher gears  without having to change down. 

When pushing on there is a marked improvement in torque just after each gear change which is a lovely feeling. 

As we/i know its not going to make the engine pop so all i can say is try it and if you dont like it, return it. 

cheers for that, i just wanted to check everything was ok with the unit before i go purchasing mine :)

glad all has gone well! well done for being the first to use it :)

Just bought this, wish me luck!

didn't really have the money till friday (payday) but i noticed on ebay there were only a few left and didnt want to miss out on the deal!

Hopefully all goes well!

anybody got any more input on these?