TMC or BLUESPARK for VRS

Agreed, those temps seem a little high.

With a TMC box and standard cooler, my temps are similar to mrburdon's.

Consistent temps at above 100 degrees are only seen with track driving. So you must be pushing on way too hard for the roads or have a problem/ low oil!!

I was pushing hard, on off throttle through second and third a lot, but nothing silly. 

oil was topped up the week i fitted the box, any ideas what this could be?

Iv only once maybe twice had the oil reading over the 100deg mark. My normal running temp is 92-95, and pushing it will take it up to 97-99deg.

scary, any idea what this issue could be?

matthewl,

Fuel has been good, around 38-42mpg taking it steady on my morning commute. 

any other ideas george?

• Like 1

Matthewl,  

you might remember our posts before you collected your car.

I offered to check it for you as you passed on your way home.

Which is why i said.

'Unless you know your car has had a new filter & oil, not just a stamp in the Service Book'.   

Not implying anything about the Dealership or the Workshop,  

They will no doubt be reading this at some point,

( not seen the Fan Boy/Girl from there posting on here again saying how good the Customer Service is..)

So an Oil Filter & Oil change might be worth doing.   JIMO.

PS.

Maybe Re-Read that first threads, i did tell you then that the Fords were not that far ahead of the Twincharger,

because i knew they are more often behind.

wrong/different oil used? maybe 10 40 not 5 30? just a guess. 

Also, my COOLANT temperature is fully warmed up after 5mins of driving, Oil temp takes around double that just to show 50deg. 

Agree with coolant temp, that is up within around 5 minutes.

im not sure which oil has been used.

Matthewl,  

you might remember our posts before you collected your car.

I offered to check it for you as you passed on your way home.

Which is why i said.

'Unless you know your car has had a new filter & oil, not just a stamp in the Service Book'.   

Not implying anything about the Dealership or the Workshop,  

They will no doubt be reading this at some point,

( not seen the Fan Boy/Girl from there posting on here again saying how good the Customer Service is..)

So an Oil Filter & Oil change might be worth doing.   JIMO.

PS.

Maybe Re-Read that first threads, i did tell you then that the Fords were not that far ahead of the Twincharger,

because i knew they are more often behind.

I remember you offering, i would have taken you up on the offer but getting the car and the issues i had on the way home (going back to the dealership!) stopped me from being able to do so.

i was originally just doing a half day at work, but due to the issues i had meant i didnt get home till after 7pm, which is annoying as i had been out of the house since 5.45am.

i guess maybe with the issues i had with the car they could have easily just stamped the book up and done no work!!

ill go into it, i havent yet, its been a bit of a secret till now.

I originally called up a handful of garages, i wasnt fussed on what colour fabia i ended up with, i said i wanted to collect the car saturday afternoon, this garage agreed to that and took a deposit, they called back hours later saying i cant take it because there is no tax on it and post office was closed. i could collect it next week.

well monday came, there were more issues, the car was supposedly still on a cherished plate, and i couldnt collect it till they received the registration document. another week and a half passed before i was able to collect the car. considering i wanted a car on a saturday afternoon this was a ****take.

testdrive went good. signed everything and off i went, 60 miles into my journey and thought something wasnt right with the car..

Issues were: 2 seatbelt plastics broken and missing.

loud metallic rattle from drivers side at around 70mph

violent steering wheel wobble at anything above 65mph (i only test drove the car up to 50mph!)

to my knowledge, a damaged seatbelt is an MOT fail?? was i sold an unroadworthy car?

this IMO could have all been easily checked and fixed before collecting the car seeing as they had it so long..

this was all from a skoda approved garage. i went back and was offered a tank of petrol, even though i had missed an afternoons worth of work missing out on £115 and wasted my time all day with this garage and car.

tbh thinking back im not very happy with the service i received.

I think youre right, new oil and filter. 

Edited by matthewl
  • Like 2

dont worry, I have had 118C driving up hartside pass with a brisky meet :P

I can often get over 100C driving "briskly" on the road.

remember your turbo bearings are lubricated by the oil and they will be running at several hundred C ... have you ever seen one on a RR? the turbos glow BRIGHT RED with the heat! the oil can handle that, it can handle being over 100C generally!

here is my old car on the RR giving 199bhp with TMC on 7 and no other mods.

54384429595359234395418.jpg

img0836ap.jpg

• Like 2

It is good to know that it is the correct oil though, and a good clean well flowing oil filter, 

then when it gets hot, it can get cool again quickly when the engine is not under load, ready for the next high temperatures.

Good Oil & Coolant is pretty important, because cooling is the critical part a small 1390 cc Engine that can produce lots of heat,

so you are as well to know you have the right stuff for the job.

Oil is a Coolant as well as the stuff in the Radiator & system.

george

• Like 1

to be fair goerge, when I top up I personally use 5W40 , as far as I understand it, the last figure is how well it holds up under higher temps before turning to water..... I can't stop them servicing it with 5W30 , but I always top up with 5W40 ;)

5w 30 or 5w 40 makes no Difference from the same Brand/Spec in my experience, i have tried both.,  

Some Oils of 5w 30 or 5w 40 have the Indicated oil temp lshowing ower than Castrol or Quantum has it.

(I drove a vRS to a Service and knew the oil temps from that oil for the past months.

Collected the car with what the Dealer put in, and it was running with a Hotter Temperature on the route i do almost daily..

I dropped the Crap they put in 30 miles later,

refilled with a good Quality Oil, and there it was, back where it normally sat.)

but matthewl has no idea really what is in oil wise,

or if that service was done before he collected the car.

yeah, I haven't read the whole thread, so can't comment on that , BUT all I'm saying is the turbo bearings are likley to be running over 500C and being cooled and lubricated by the oil (and the water jacket of course) so I doubt that 100C on the dash is much of an issue.... the oil wont break down (IF its the correct oil) when cooling the bearings, so its ok...

if there is some part on here I havent looked at , like if he doesn't know what oil is in his car, and its some cheap chinese mineral oil, it may well break down on hot turbo bearings, and cause all sorts of problems! :o

but I know whats in mine, and I really don't think going over 100C is an issue... (when spanking it!)

• Like 3

It certainly isnt,  when spanking it, or when the ambient temps are high it its getting a bit of spirited use.

but it should not rise quickly to that if that is not how its being used, and it should come down in temp quite quickly once you are easing off.

Thats true (maybe I should read all the posts! pmsl) mine tends to run 88-92 normally, I do a "cooling drive" when I am approching my house after I turn towards the village and slow it all down, from 102C it will drop to about 95 after the 1 mile gentle run in :)

• Like 1

Thats true (maybe I should read all the posts! pmsl) mine tends to run 88-92 normally, I do a "cooling drive" when I am approching my house after I turn towards the village and slow it all down, from 102C it will drop to about 95 after the 1 mile gentle run in :)

its funny though... the electric pump will still keep circulating water for a while, even when I do the "cooling off" drive!

The Exhaust Manifold on the 1.4 TSI is designed to run at Temperatures up to 1,050 *oC.  

Its certainly a hot set up when being Spanked, and the CAVE Fueling when it was not right and an oiled and breaking down Spark Plug can have a very hot Cylinder 3.

Fantastic Engines as we know when everything is doing its job properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twincharger

• Like 1

The Exhaust Manifold on the 1.4 TSI is designed to run at Temperatures up to 1,050 *oC.  

Its certainly a hot set up when being Spanked, and the CAVE Fueling when it was not right and an oiled and breaking down Spark Plug can have a very hot Cylinder 3.

Fantastic Engines as we know when everything is doing its job properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twincharger

that will be why it was glowing bright red then ;)

• Like 1

It's not exhaust as a whole, catalyst can reach such temps, turbo lower, circa 900C as it's cooled. Problem with oil temps on normal cars with normal oil systems is that there is absolutely nothing you can do to cool the oil down. The one sure fire thing to do is to get thecbedt high performance oil you can, within warranty of course ;). Problem is wet sump and oil pump. You can whack as many oil rads as you fan fit it will not change the cooling capacity due to oil pumping speed and if you cool the oil too much you can destroy the engine due to thermal shock. No matter how good oil hest exchangers you fit in oil pump will only pump the same amount of oil through it in time so thecsame amount of heat will removed by that oil. If you are serious about performance get dry sump and variable speex oil pump with good oil to air heat exchanger, problem solved! Want more power? Problems with oil temps? With dry sump and oil pump just get some fans on your oil heat exchanger or make it bigger - variable speed oil pump will do the rest.

The 1.4 TSI Twincharger has a lovely set of 'piston cooling nozzles', oo er missus.

The engines are function quite nicely now as CTHE's with the Power & Heat they are producing.

As they had it before taking it from 125 kW to 132 & 136 kW

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that iv now done just over 2000 miles with the Bluspark fitted, set on number 5 (one from highest) and all is well. Still gives me a smile with the extra grunt. 

Im at bluespark tomorrow as its just down the road from me. Fitting one to my cthe engine . Il post in here what i think of it

Hopefully, you'll get a fair amount more power than the box fitted to me CAVE engine. Good luck and hope you get on with it. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that iv now done just over 2000 miles with the Bluspark fitted, set on number 5 (one from highest) and all is well. Still gives me a smile with the extra grunt. 

Hopefully, you'll get a fair amount more power than the box fitted to me CAVE engine. Good luck and hope you get on with it. 

on setting 5 do you have any issues when you start it up, kinda like its limiting power?

im starting to think that maybe i have a bad coil pack somewhere...

Where are you at with it.

New Spark Plugs are Fitted, but do you know if the car has had the Latest ECU Update for the Engine Management,

It might not have been Installed at the Service before you bought the car,

So has it had a Service Since & did they do a VAS Diagnosis and install the latest Update for a 1.4 TSI CAVE?

on setting 5 do you have any issues when you start it up, kinda like its limiting power?

im starting to think that maybe i have a bad coil pack somewhere...

Iirc the engine limits things during its warm up anyway? But tbh I never push it enough when first setting off to notice anything power wise, I ALWAYS wait until about 60-70 degree oil temp till I am willing to put the foot to the floor. Raving a cold engine over 4k makes me cring.

I think iv done bout 7k on this set of br7 ngk plugs so there nearly due a change but still alls running sweet. Hence my pic on the vrs mpg thread of last week's drive.

Iirc the engine limits things during its warm up anyway? But tbh I never push it enough when first setting off to notice anything power wise, I ALWAYS wait until about 60-70 degree oil temp till I am willing to put the foot to the floor. Raving a cold engine over 4k makes me cring.

I think iv done bout 7k on this set of br7 ngk plugs so there nearly due a change but still alls running sweet. Hence my pic on the vrs mpg thread of last week's drive.

i don't rag my car when its cold... anything over 65oc and thats when ill start to open it up.

im asking because this happens when cold, as well as if the engine oil is at 95oc+ and i have popped to the shop turned the car off and restarted it.

it will happen for a couple of 15-30 seconds of driving then you feel it gradually go away. 

Where are you at with it.

New Spark Plugs are Fitted, but do you know if the car has had the Latest ECU Update for the Engine Management,

It might not have been Installed at the Service before you bought the car,

So has it had a Service Since & did they do a VAS Diagnosis and install the latest Update for a 1.4 TSI CAVE?

I have not serviced my car since i received it, 1. because it WAS done when i bought the car, 2. its only done 4k miles...

When the warranty work was carried out the update was done as well as DSG update and oil change.

If you know an ECU update for the Engine & a ECU update for the DSG was done, you are sorted then.

So best check out your coils then, because it should start and run smoothly on start up,

it is just a 1.4 TSI and thats not some race car needing a special start procedure.