Help - EPC & TCS/ESP & Exhaust Control System lights all on

Skoda Roomster 1.2 SE TSI DSG

Last night the EPC & TCS/ESP & Exhaust Control System lights all lit up at once. The engine became very unstable and the auto box wouldn't change above 3rd gear. The car is going into my Skoda dealer later today for diagnostics.

Last week the car was in for its first MOT and the Skoda dealer offered to do a complete transmission oil change for free, apparently they are replacing the synthetic oil with mineral oil, presumably a Skoda recall which I haven't heard of. The gearbox is meant to be lifetime sealed.

After replacing the oil they had to reload the engine management system and at 90% loaded the system crashed. They tried again the following morning and the system loaded OK. Less than 200 miles later the EPC & TCS/ESP & Exhaust Control System lights all lit up at once.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong and whether the system reload last week may be the cause?

Thanks 

• Like 1

Given the other stuff you report, I'd suspect a bad EMS software load is part of the problem.

However, before trying to reload it again, I personally would check that the alternator is charging properly, since my first thought on reading the title was of a low alternator output.

Thanks Ken - just waiting for Skoda to confirm they have a courtesy car for me this afternoon and I will get it checked. 

Reading other posts on VW forums some people suggest electrical short or bad grounding.

Will let you know what comes out of the diagnostics.

Edited by amsquared

Skoda Roomster 1.2 SE TSI DSG

Last night the EPC & TCS/ESP & Exhaust Control System lights all lit up at once. The engine became very unstable and the auto box wouldn't change above 3rd gear. The car is going into my Skoda dealer later today for diagnostics.

Last week the car was in for its first MOT and the Skoda dealer offered to do a complete transmission oil change for free, apparently they are replacing the synthetic oil with mineral oil, presumably a Skoda recall which I haven't heard of. The gearbox is meant to be lifetime sealed.

After replacing the oil they had to reload the engine management system and at 90% loaded the system crashed. They tried again the following morning and the system loaded OK. Less than 200 miles later the EPC & TCS/ESP & Exhaust Control System lights all lit up at once.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong and whether the system reload last week may be the cause?

Thanks 

Has your car had the 24W6 campaign / recall performed?  Cars that hadn't had that shimming performed many times had the described above warning lights in dashboard and turbine's seizure. If you switched the engine off and on again after a couple of minutes and the warning lights were off, probably this is the culprit. Else it might be due to faulty update operation

Thanks Stratosg - not sure about the 24W6 - I will ask when I take the car in later today. This morning when I started the car the warning lights were all off but as soon as I reversed out of the drive the 3 lights came back on again. The engine is very rough. Waiting Skoda to call back with appointment.

Thanks Stratosg - not sure about the 24W6 - I will ask when I take the car in later today. This morning when I started the car the warning lights were all off but as soon as I reversed out of the drive the 3 lights came back on again. The engine is very rough. Waiting Skoda to call back with appointment.

Open the boot. Then lift boot's cover / carpet. If the car had the 24w6 campaign performed there should be a sticker at the left side of the boot.

If the sticker exists then it may be an ECU update. I read about a couple of cases in Greece that had the same warning light as yours and it was due to erratic update procedure. After a second and without any warnings ecu update attempt, cars were (are) working fine.

I hope it's something like that and not something more serious.

Edited by stratosg

Car now at garage will update tomorrow after diagnostics run.

OK solution was replace broken HT lead - but surprise surprise they didn't have one in stock so have to wait until tomorrow to collect car. 

One question I have is would they have disconnected HT lead and the battery when changing the gear box oil. 

My 3 year guarantee ran out on 31st May but they have managed to get a 70% concession from Skoda so the diagnostics and fit HT lead come to £32.

I will mark this thread solved if the new HT lead solves the problem.

Edited by amsquared

On the subject of the guarantee - we paid for and took delivery of the Roomster on 4th June 2011 but the dealer had registered the car on 31st May 2011 to enable them to claim the car in their May quota. Skoda argue that the guarantee runs from the date of registration yet Skoda's pdf on skoda.co.uk states - "The warranty commences on the date of delivery to the first owner and is transferable to the second and subsequent owners." http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

Later in Skoda's document it states - "This warranty will terminate on the anniversary of the third year from the date of original registration or at 60,000 miles, whichever is soonest."

So there seems to be a mismatch between "date of delivery to the first owner" and "terminates on the anniversary of the third year from the date of original registration."

I think I will email Alistair Stewart CEO Skoda UK pointing out that the guarantee wording is not accurate and while I welcome that they have paid 70% of the repair I feel that the car was still under a 3 year warranty which expires tomorrow 4th June not 31st May!

Edited by amsquared

The way I read that is that you don't actually get a full 3 years!  You only get 3 years minus the time between registration and collection.

However, if they are nitpicking over 4/5 days then point out to the dealer that he registered it early for his convenience to get his quota discount and that you shouldn't be made to pay for his increased profit.  Not a HUGE deal for £32 but maybe a discount voucher off your next service or a free MOT would be a nice gesture.

Looks like the new HT lead fixed my problem. The garage repeated that the 7 speed DSG was originally sealed for life and doesn't have an oil filter so they didn't have to remove the battery or any leads to change the gearbox fluid.