Dash cam install

Carlodiesel

Can anyone advise on the following....

Need to remove the drivers side screen inner trim.

I pulled the door seal away eye level & all I could see was the airbag.

I need to remove trim to run a cable to top of windscreen to interior mirror location for dash cam.

Thanks

Ray

It should just pull off (that's what I was told) when I was looking for info on installing a dash cam.

I have not brought one yet as I am waiting for better reviews of the new 0803 as the firmware is still a work in progress.

I was going to install 2 piggy back onto an ignition based fuse, this would be fired up to a small 12v aux socket that will stay in the gap behind the fuseboard, then plug in a dual 12-5v USB bullet adaptor. Dual because I was going to plug one (perfect length) usb lead up the trim and across the top of the windscreen using small dobs of hotglue to hold the use lead in place to the 0803 Dash Cam behind the mirror.

The other usb port on the USB bullet adaptor will feed a USB leed up to the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel where I have my mobile phone holder to power my phone when it is use as SATNAV with Waze

Some instructions here http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/fitting-a-dashboard-camera_topic1046.html#.U570JihvDso

IF this is fitting to the front, I did not have to remove ANY trim to get the cable from the camera to the fusebox.

The cable from my blackvue popped between the liner & the screen with a firm push with a plastic body of a pen and is completely hidden from view.

I was able to feed the cable behind the pillar by lifting the rubber seal down the inside of the door pillar & gently slotting it in and down into the fuse box, & used a piggy back fuse holder into the rear wiper fuse.

What Zeanie is suggesting appears to be a complicated installation. 

I have a 12v aux socket with live & earth connection attached - Live to piggy back fuse holder with the original fuse & 3A in the piggyback & this into the car fuse box, Earth connected to the car body.  The suppled 12 cable is used to power it ,with 12v male end is plugged into the 12v socket & the other end fed up the pillar & along the top of the windscreen to the camera, & all done without removing any panels.

Now I wish I could do the same when it comes to fitting the rear facing camera.

You don't need to remove any trim.

The cable should tuck up under the headlining, then down the A post where the door seal and A post trim meet.

There is a little gap there if you fold the door trim back, you just need to press it in to the recess.

Quick and easy. :)

Have done this several times.

• Like 1

It should just pull off (that's what I was told) when I was looking for info on installing a dash cam.

I have not brought one yet as I am waiting for better reviews of the new 0803 as the firmware is still a work in progress.

I was going to install 2 piggy back onto an ignition based fuse, this would be fired up to a small 12v aux socket that will stay in the gap behind the fuseboard, then plug in a dual 12-5v USB bullet adaptor. Dual because I was going to plug one (perfect length) usb lead up the trim and across the top of the windscreen using small dobs of hotglue to hold the use lead in place to the 0803 Dash Cam behind the mirror.

The other usb port on the USB bullet adaptor will feed a USB leed up to the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel where I have my mobile phone holder to power my phone when it is use as SATNAV with Waze

Some instructions here http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/fitting-a-dashboard-camera_topic1046.html#.U570JihvDso

I got an 0803 a couple of days ago. Seems to work pretty well so far after 2 days. As others have said the power cable tucks into the head lining and down the 'A' pillar trim without removal of the trim. As mine is still being proven so to speak I'm using the 12v socket with the lead draped over the dash at the center of the bottom of the screen after routing in the trim. I'm checking to see how hot both the 12 socket adapter and the camera get after a few longer runs before I consider a constant or switchable power feed.

I totally agree with the above for running the cable, there is no need to remove any trim panels.

Got my dash cam up by the mirror on the screen, and had no issues with the cable or the piggyback fuse connector.

All fitted in a matter of minutes.

You can also get compact 12v to 5v converters that you can hard-wire in if you want to do away with the somewhat bulky 12v socket + USB adaptor combination.  Have a look on eBay or Amazon - the main brand offered seems to be called CPT.  It states that the output current is 3A but I believe that's a maximum and in use it'll only supply what the device actually wants to draw.  (Anyone who knows different please feel free to correct me.)

I've never done the kind of cable routing that folks are talking about here and I'm a bit nervous that I might damage something.  Are there any useful photo guides or videos of how to go about it online?

e - bay as well 

@ejstubbs - the method used by  Bossfox - Me - carlo diesel - billhook is very simple & as long as you are not too heavy handed or use any sharp implements near the roof lining or door seal.

Just take your time & you will be ok- as you can see this is a tried & tested method of fitting.

You can also get compact 12v to 5v converters that you can hard-wire in if you want to do away with the somewhat bulky 12v socket + USB adaptor combination.  Have a look on eBay or Amazon - the main brand offered seems to be called CPT.  It states that the output current is 3A but I believe that's a maximum and in use it'll only supply what the device actually wants to draw.  (Anyone who knows different please feel free to correct me.)

I've never done the kind of cable routing that folks are talking about here and I'm a bit nervous that I might damage something.  Are there any useful photo guides or videos of how to go about it online?

This is how I did it on my Fiesta.

The same, other than the fusebox is on the other side.

So you want to head for the driver side.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313433-richards-fish-faced-ford-fiesta-st-3/?p=3804714

• Like 2

I used The Great Yeti's guide to fit mine to my Yeti, and the Freelander, but then I discovered those piggy back fuse holder things, which are great. I use them in my Freelander for the dash cam and Tom Tom. 

With the BlackVue, I bought the power magic box, so that it would work even when parked, but overcome the problem I had with them flattening the Yeti's cheap battery, which I did on a few occasions as I forgot to disconnect them in freezing weather.

You just need to find a permanent live on the fuse box and a switched live. Then just attach to the power magic box. The box will switch off the power when you want - i.e. after 6, 12 or more hours, or if the voltage goes lower than either 12 or 11.8v. You chose how to configure it. Works really well. I don't have to worry about connecting or disconnecting all the time.

I had a good poke around the head lining, door pillar trim etc yesterday and I'm pretty confident that I now know how to do the cable routing.  Thanks to all who've offered advice, especially Bossfox.  Just need to order the parts now and I should be good to go!

• 1 month later...

Bit of a thread resurrection - these piggy-back things - did you guys use standard size or mini fuse size?

And do you stick them into an empty slot or do you piggy back onto an existing circuit - in which case which one did you use? And where did you find a suitable earth binding?

I am about to do a dash-cam install myself so just want to ensure I buy the right parts and fit correctly.

Bit of a thread resurrection - these piggy-back things - did you guys use standard size or mini fuse size?

And do you stick them into an empty slot or do you piggy back onto an existing circuit - in which case which one did you use? And where did you find a suitable earth binding?

I am about to do a dash-cam install myself so just want to ensure I buy the right parts and fit correctly.

Just a bump on this thread as to 137699's question ! Id like to know also please,  as i would like to order piggy back fuse so its home when i arrive back from Uzbekistan on thursday !

Thanks

Specks