Abeo Dash Cam

One day last week, I had one numpty pull out across a country road in front of me (whilst I was doing 60) which I missed the rear end of by about 10ft, and then another numpty take the racing-line across a roundabout that I was turning right at, which I (un)fortunately expected to happen as I could see in their side mirror that they were busy chatting on their phone.

Have been thinking for a while of getting a dash cam, but want something semi-invisible and simple DIY fit.  So have been looking at ones that clip on over the rear-view mirror - the Abeo ones seem to get decent reviews: a 720p one and a 1080p one (@30fps).  Looks like I can move it from one car to another quite easily as well.

Anyone else out there got one?  I'm only interested in the clip-on over-mirror type.

Take a look at this thread for lots of good advice and recommendations...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/236786-dash-cams/page-1?hl=+dash

By looking for clip-on types only you are limiting your choice, ones that sucker to the inside of the windscreen can be very discreet and easy to transfer between different vehicles - and importantly are much more popular / common.

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts and comments so far - very much appreciated.  I'm thinking of getting the mini 0803.  Just want to find a bit more night time footage on the interweb, and some shots of it installed.

There was one a few years ago in the shape of a rectangle, it captured front & back in high res and was no bigger than HP ink cart, I fancied one myself but it was too much money at the time,

I'd like to get a cam myself but I really need one that is internet wired so my phone can deliver in real time to the PC, that way someone snatching it won't deprive me of the evidence.

just put 2 Mini 0801's in mine and SWMBO's cars - absolutely excellent and highly recommended.

Try carcamerashop for superb advice and service.

just put 2 Mini 0801's in mine and SWMBO's cars - absolutely excellent and highly recommended.

Try carcamerashop for superb advice and service.

Don't suppose I could trouble you for a couple of pics of whereabouts you've sited it on the windscreen: an internal pic and an external pic?

my Superb isnt here yet so its probably not quite relevant but the base of the 0801 is about 20mmx20mm and sits very neatly next to the eing mirror unit on both my current cars. The 0801 camera body is very small and is completely hidden from view when mounted that way - its really dead easy. Cable then runs under the edge of the headlining and down the A pillar tucked behind the plastic cover. Looks exactly like all the installs pictured on this forum and the Octavia forum here.

Could a complete technophobe( also useless at DIY) fit these dash cams as I really want one?.

Absolutely - they all come as standard with a 12v cig lighter adapter so you don't have to hard wire anything. Stick to screen, run cake around the window and tuck into the headlining and trim, then you're done. Takes 5 mins to do each car and hide the cables.

Absolutely - they all come as standard with a 12v cig lighter adapter so you don't have to hard wire anything. Stick to screen, run cake around the window and tuck into the headlining and trim, then you're done. Takes 5 mins to do each car and hide the cables.

Cake !!! Is that to use as lubrication, to get the cable under the headlining. Lol.

Thanks bigpike.

• 4 weeks later...

There was one a few years ago in the shape of a rectangle, it captured front & back in high res and was no bigger than HP ink cart, I fancied one myself but it was too much money at the time,

I'd like to get a cam myself but I really need one that is internet wired so my phone can deliver in real time to the PC, that way someone snatching it won't deprive me of the evidence.

Did you see any CAMs that can be connected to the internet? I am fitting 3G wifi in my car.

Did you see any CAMs that can be connected to the internet? I am fitting 3G wifi in my car.

I've not really looked tbh, at this time I'd imagine they will be £200+ and I really haven't got that sort of wonga to splash on a cam right now, update me if you find anything please.

built in wifi is a bit of a joke in my blackvue, I wrongly assumed that you could connect your pc to it and download the footage, All you can do is connect two makes of smartphone (android and the fashion phone) and view the live footage with a two second delay...just cant see the point of it.

Turned the wifi off as the superb and blackvue with the power magic -low volt disconnect unit just don't play nice.

When you unlock the car the Columbus and I suspect other devices all come to life creating such a drain on the car battery that the voltage (typically) drops below the threshold (11.8v) and the camera shuts down. (new bosch car battery)

So each morning I am greeted by a voice saying "the blackvue is now shutting down" the battery recovers to above 11.8 after some minutes but not high enough to restart the camera until the engine is started.

People with a long commute may not have the same experience.(other experiences are also available)

• 4 weeks later...

I am down to 3 choices now.  Would like to know if anyone has one of them fitted into a Superb ideally behind the auto-dimming mirror, and pics if at all possible.  I've looked all through the brisk forum, and whilst there are some pics they aren't of the big sko.

1. Mini 0803

2. Mobius with wide-angle "b" lens, super capacitor, and right-angled USB adapter

3. G90 with the A7-70 chip (this is my wildcard choice, as it looks like the front lens can be removed and put onto an extension for a discrete mounting)

All 3 seem to give decent night time footage, and excellent day time footage.  But the 0803 seems to be going through more than its fair share of teething problems and the G90 is quite new to the market.

Appreciate your thoughts as usual...

Just found this interesting review of the 0803.....

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/6/15/mini-0803-probably-the-best-mini-dashcam-with-a-screen.html

Cheers

Dave.

Yeah, he's done some good reviews.

Lots of dash cams on foxoffers - spoilt for choice really, and my short list gets bigger and bigger. These look interesting:

http://www.foxoffer.com/full-hd-1080p-car-rearview-mirror-camera-dvr-novatek96650-p-695.html#.U-08dmK9KK0

http://www.foxoffer.com/shadow-gl8000-car-rearview-mirror-camera-full-hd-1080p-dvr-p-684.html#.U-08jWK9KK0

http://www.foxoffer.com/shadow-gt680w-full-hd-1080p-car-dash-camcorder-black-no-logo-p-592.html#.U-08zmK9KK0

The last one is out of stock, but is getting good reviews incl. low light.