Abeo Dash Cam

I can't remember if I posted this final mod on here or not, but here it is on DCT https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/index.php?threads/Mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/#post-90327

(Posts #371 and #379).

It's a further mod to the helmet mount, to get rid of the bulky thumb-turn.

Apologies if I already posted it.

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

Took it out for a spin today, the Mobius films in 9 or 10 minute stints, is this normal?

When viewing at home on the PC the second clip always covers the last few seconds of the previous clip so you don't miss anything.

Yep it records in segments which can be set in the settings program. Then the segments overlap by approx 1 second so no footage is lost. When the memory card is full it just overwrites the oldest clip and so on. When you need to pull a clip for evidence etc.... It means you only need to use one clip and not the whole video of your journey. ;)

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense!

This morning's commute was the first proper test (80 minutes or so).

Had a look at the footage at worjk and it is very good. Quite pleased.

A noticeable crackle appeared at some point during the journey on the audio and remained through until the end, it was not there for the first few 10 minutes clips. Not sure what this could be as there was no new electrical loads introduced during the drive (interference?).

Will have to see if it does it again on the way home tonight.

FYI, to protect a recording in progress, press the middle button on the mobius. It then prevents the file from being over-written (ie deleted) when the memory card runs out of space. Useful if you see something that you'd like to preserve. I can't remember if you need to enable this in the camera software, or whether it is there as a default setting.

• Like 1

I just used the default, whichever that is!

My camera stopped recording on the way home tonight, the memory card was full.

I hadn't set the camera to 'loop' over the old footage.

All sorted now!

I'm wide fov, and wdr on. Did consider switching to narrow fov to get better number plate recognition, but figured that if someone collides with me then I'd get the plate on camera anyway as they'd obviously be pretty darned close. I remember when first watching footage back, I was amazed at how much detail the camera captured - could clearly see the plates of cars waiting to turn out onto the road as I drove past.

• Like 1

Yep, I did this last night too, I love the way the msetup program is so easy to use - it told me that it needed updating as soon as I plugged in the camera.

This alone makes the Mobius the obvious choice in my mind!

Mine didn't turn on by itself like it normally does this morning, I had to press a button to get it to turn on (not sure which one - it was dark!).

Mine didn't turn on by itself like it normally does this morning, I had to press a button to get it to turn on (not sure which one - it was dark!).

Check that you have delayed start-up ticked in msetup. It's a 3 second delay (IIRC) from detecting power, to recording start, which allows for any voltage drop during the engine ignition process to sort itself out before recording starts.

This is how I found out that my 12-5V transformer was unsuitable, as the voltage swings kept tricking the mobius into thinking power was being cut - so it either didn't bother recording at all, or just a couple of seconds after ignition on.

• Like 3

Well the fuses arrived today so I have fitted the 12v socket in the fuse box then run the cable up to where the camera will be and fitted the bracket to the windscreen.

I thought I'd be a rebel and go for a 2m rather than 3m cable as I had done a very rough "hold it in place" trial with a 2m Lightning cable I have for my iPhone and reckoned it should be just long enough. In the end it was good with around 10-12" of cable spare at the fuse box end. The cable is also an "up angle" mini USB lead so it comes out of the back of the Mobius and goes upwards towards the roof lining.

To run the cable in I just popped the top lug out on the A pillar trim which gave me enough room to run the cable through making sure it was out of the way of the airbag in there. Then came the hard bit..... The roof lining section.... Working from the right hand side I found the roof lining just lifted enough to push the cable under but then about two thirds of the way across to the rear view mirror the problems started. Try as I might I could not get the cable under as it looks like when the windscreen was replaced by the previous owner the fitter has re-glued the headlining back up. I ended up using a teaspoon to try and lever away the lining as much as possible which meant I managed to get a few more inches of cable under the headlining but I've ended up putting a few small dabs of strong glue to stick the cable up into the gap between the headlining and the windscreen glass for the last 3 or 4 inches. You can't see the cable in this last little section unless you put your head right up to the windscreen and look up and it's not visible at all from outside so I'm happy with that.

I've then run the cable between the glass and the rear view mirror wiring holder, (the mini USB plug wouldn't fit through the gap with it being an up angle plug but luckily the other end with the standard USB plug just squeezed through the gap), so it now runs down the side of the wiring holder then onto the passenger side and then into the back of the Mobius.

I've fitted the bracket to the windscreen with the 3M pad placed so it is on the third visor dots and have left it to cure till tomorrow when I'll put the camera in and connect it up to the cable.

I'll take some pics of my install when I finish it off and will put them on here or my project thread.

• Like 2

You are both making me feel guilty about my slipshod approach to A pillar removal.

Look forward to the pics, and how you get on with it over the coming weeks.

I'm still on v2.1. Would be interested in your thoughts on night time performance in the later software versions.

I have the Mini 0801 Dash Cam and it works a treat - I have sitting just to the left of my rear view mirror hard wired to operate when the ignition is switched on and records all the time I am driving

I would highly recommend this model as once its in place you hardly notice it from outside 

Watch The Techman on the YouTube link and it becomes self explanatory 

Ok the camera went in this morning so here are some pics of my install.....

The fuse box with the new 12v supply and the leftover USB lead coiled up. (This was a 2m lead so it can be done without a 3m lead if required).

image8_zps8ac091a1.jpg

image7_zps4667d884.jpg

And the mounting position itself with the lead running down from the headlining alongside the mirror wiring cover then between the glass and the mirror wiring cover onto the passenger side of the mirror where the camera is located.

image5_zps6ece5d19.jpg

image4_zpsb303a4b3.jpg

And the view from the driving position....

image6_zpsd26c71b9.jpg

I had to go out today so have given it a first run and happy with the results... Only thing i've noticed is that i get a slight crackle when i go over rough sections of road or bumpy sections of road which i'm assuming is because of the shocks coming up through the windscreen and into the camera... Otherwise the audio is nice and clear.

I may take the car out later in the dark to see what the night quality is like... Although i did go into an underground car park today and the adjustment from daylight to dark went really well.

• Like 2

Looks nice and neat, I like the power cord you have used, the way the cable exits the plug upwards rather than straight out, this makes it look neater than mine.

Did you damage the headlining, is that a bump I can see in the third to last picture? Mine was a real challenge to peel away like yours was, easy for the first few inches from the A-pillar then it was solid!

I am looking forward to the helmet mount arriving so that I can tuck it away further behind the mirror, although I do like the way I can see the red recording light flashing where it is now!

On my car the black plastic tube that feeds the wires to the sensor was too close to the glass for me to be able to squeeze the wire past.

I've noticed a crackle on mine too but I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. 

Edited by silver1011

Check that you have delayed start-up ticked in msetup. It's a 3 second delay (IIRC) from detecting power, to recording start, which allows for any voltage drop during the engine ignition process to sort itself out before recording starts.

This is how I found out that my 12-5V transformer was unsuitable, as the voltage swings kept tricking the mobius into thinking power was being cut - so it either didn't bother recording at all, or just a couple of seconds after ignition on.

Worked a treat, it now fires up unprompted every time now :thumbup:

• Like 1

Looks nice and neat, I like the power cord you have used, the way the cable exits the plug upwards rather than straight out, this makes it look neater than mine.

Did you damage the headlining, is that a bump I can see in the third to last picture? Mine was a real challenge to peel away like yours was, easy for the first few inches from the A-pillar then it was solid!

I am looking forward to the helmet mount arriving so that I can tuck it away further behind the mirror, although I do like the way I can see the red recording light flashing where it is now!

On my car the black plastic tube that feeds the wires to the sensor was too close to the glass for me to be able to squeeze the wire past.

I've noticed a crackle on mine too but I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. 

Cheers..

This was the lead i used.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EWMTGX4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

The bump you can see is the cable sticking out slightly where there is a huge amount of the sealant / glue used by the windscreen replacement person. It sticks out from the headlining but i've never seen it as unless you actually put your head up to the windscreen and look up you don't know it's there.... Anyway because of that it means the lead sticks out at that point hence me using a couple of dabs of strong glue to stick it in place in that area. Again unless you lean forward to the windscreen you can't see it so it's not an issue for me.

I've found the crackle is only when going over big bumps or very uneven sections of road as though it's related to the vibration coming up through the car and into the bracket and camera.... I suppose with our use of the camera the audio side isn't as important anyway but it's not that bad that you can't hear the recorded audio anyway.... If that makes sense? :)

• Like 1

You are both making me feel guilty about my slipshod approach to A pillar removal.

Look forward to the pics, and how you get on with it over the coming weeks.

I'm still on v2.1. Would be interested in your thoughts on night time performance in the later software versions.

I'm just going through some night footage i took last night.... I took a very "scenic" route to go to the petrol station last night.... Instead of a mile i went on a route of around 5 or 6 to take in some dark roads.... I'll post a link to it when i've taken it off the card.

Day and night footage on FW v2.33

The day one has me driving in and out of an underground car park so the brightness change can be seen. The night time one is mainly under white LED street lighting with a couple of pitch black country road stretches at 05:56 & 08:23.

Mine is pointed down slightly so that the sky doesn't over expose the image..... More useful when it's a sunny day.

Also would the FOV setting cause a difference? Mine is set to wide is yours still on the default of narrow?