octavia 1.9tdsi 4wd Vibration from rear at 2300 - 2500 rpm

Hi all

I wonder if you can help. I recently bought a second hand 2006 octavia 1.9tdsi 4wd with 78k on the clock. From a dealer  - but not skoda dealer. 

3 days in to owning it and on a motorway run I noticed slight vibrations which manifest themselves as a droning sound and which seemed to be coming from under the car, toward the rear, at between 2300 - 2500 rpm. most noticeably in 5th (60mph ish) and in 6th (70mph ish).

I searched the forums and have considered/ temporarily discounted DMF, (vibration is more rear than front),  Wheel alignment (does need doing as there is a slight sawtoothing on the rear wheels - only evident on one as the other has just been swapped as it had a nail in it  - but the vibration is only under load and only at limited rpm), Rear wheel bearing  - again not present at all speeds. 

I'm left thinking rear diff, prop shaft or gear ox or some other less obvious problem. I've taken it to a skoda dealer for a health check and they have said it feels like the rear diff but would have to remove the prop shaft to have a better idea (150 quid).

Currently Im planning to go back to the dealer i bought it from and give them the problem to diagnose fix  or cross my palm with silver, if I can under their 1 month warranty - quickly expiring  - and I can see me having a battle on my hands.

If worst case I have to end up compromising or solving the problem myself any advice on any other possible causes (ideally cheaper than a diff replacement (skoda just quoted 3.5k) would be very much appreciated.

Regards

jim

There is an anti vibration bush where the prop goes into the rear diff.A few ive seen have been caused by this wearing and causing a vibration.Its only under load normally but bloody annoying.Skodas fix seems to be a whole prop which is an eye watering £1300 fitted but there are now guys out there (eBay) that sell the bush separately .If its under warranty then get Skoda to do it if not its worth trying the bush kit at about £130 I think.

I have the same car, and I bought up this vibration on here a few months ago. Nobody had a specific suggestion at the time, so this may well be the answer. Wagonwheels, do you know what the site was on ebay?

Are the rear tyres the same brand and rough level of wear on each side? When I bought mine it used to whine at motorway speeds but had just had a new tyre on one side only at the rear put on by the garage I bought it from. I fitted another new tyre to the other side and the noise vanished, 15k later and it is still fine. I think the difference in rotational speed was too great for the dif. I've also read that if you replace tyres on a 4x4 to always replace in pairs and also to always put the newest tyres on the rear.

Generally the tyres are about the same - minor saw toothing on one but the thing that makes me lean away from tyres as being the primary cause is that its quite a vibration/drone getting worse from 4th to 6th and only on acceleration.

I  am wondering if it could be a gearbox problem which transmits vibrations down the propshaft - but thats probably 1) a lack of understanding of the box design and 2) clutching at straws...:-) 

If I cant get assistance from the garage Ill probably change the prop shaft bush. and then scratch my head a bit and while I consider other options inc tyres and full wheel alignment which I will eventually do.

Mine used to wine as the speed increased but was worse on the over run than than accelerating. Mine was more of a whine/drone but I couldn't feel any vibration through the car.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, mine has had a knock from the front end since I got it and I'm no closer to working out what it is after 15k miles.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 20/08/2014 at 18:51, climbingwombat said:

Finally took the plunge and replaced the front and rear bushes on the prop shaftfor approx 350 in parts and labour. Solved the problem straight away.result. thanks for your comments.

Hello,

I know this was a number of years ago but do you remember any information about the bushes you replaced? I have similiar problems to your description and action is needed sooner rather than later.

Do you have any part numbers available for your replaced parts? If not, do you have exact names of the parts?

Thank you