EGR failure on quite new Yeti

Wightyeti

After three years and less than 40,000 miles, the engine warning light came on on my 2 litre yeti this week. The car then lost most of its power as it was in limp home mode.

Of course, I am overseas, more than 600 miles from home and unable to properly communicate with the local Skoda garage.

Having plugged the car into his VAG computer he tells me the EGR has to be replaced. €350 parts and €550 for six hours labour to do the job.

Is this just one of life's unfortunate incidents?

Any advice?

had this the weekend en route south, about 200miles, fortunately the car didn't drop into 'limp' mode, so continued, 170 miles x2(+ return) at 70mphish :blush: seems to have solved the problem, the warning lamp disappeared  -  some time ago I was told it(egr) needed replacement, but after reset the prob took some time to reappear, I have been doing lots of short trips recently and think its a build up of soot, the sunday trip probably burned it off!

What happens if the car is reset without replacement? perhaps its worth a quickish trip!

Not the easiest job in the world.

If it's a 4x4 Yeti the steering rack and subframe need to be removed completely, along with a driveshaft and a cup out of the transfer box. Then you can get the DPF out to get onto the EGR.

2wd Yeti you can just lower the subframe down, no need to remove it.

I'll have to sit on my crossed fingers whilst driving now.

In the 'good 'ol days' it was a simple valve in the cam cover.....a 60 sec job.

my 140 4x4 2010 model had the egr fail, took day and half to sort out,was told its more common with the 140 engine!!!!!.

Michael.

That engine has been around for quite some years, so I'm wondering if that is stil the case on a 2012 version.

• 1 year later...

2011, little miles, egr valve gone on it, well looked after, recent NCT and not picked up, happened over night, €650 to fix - with claim that valve is €360 - skoda dealer garage - anybody else got pricing for this?

The EGR failed on my 2010 Yeti when it was 3 years old, the Skoda tech said they had seen a number on the 2.0 CR Diesel engines around 3-4 years old. I found out afterwards I could code the EGR out of the system by setting the level to 0%, this would effectively ignore the EGR in the ecu, which is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

The EGR failed on my 2010 Yeti when it was 3 years old, the Skoda tech said they had seen a number on the 2.0 CR Diesel engines around 3-4 years old. I found out afterwards I could code the EGR out of the system by setting the level to 0%, this would effectively ignore the EGR in the ecu, which is not a bad thing.

Hi Mike, how can you code the egr down to 0% ? Not with VCDS?

Seem to feel this used to be a common VAG issue but some years back. It is however a weak link in the system due to the consequences of the job it does for euro emission regs.

Another reason to vote no to Europe  :D

TP

• Like 1

Apparently fitting a 'catch can' which, as implied, catches the oil in the sump blow-by gasses thus extending the EGR 's life.

A guy out here, on the Watercooled forum has done it as a mod as preventative maintenance.

Seems not to be an uncommon issue. It appears the problem is exacerbated by not using premium diesel fuel. VAG usually offer a goodwill of 100% of price of the part and 50% of labour if the car is out of warranty and has a full service history with a main dealer. This brings the price down to approx. £300. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

This was one of the reasons I got rid of my diesel Yeti. Contrary to some views, from what I've read in various places, EGR valve problems appear to be fairly common.

EGR problems are the bane of modern Diesels in my opinion, but European emission regulations have to be adhered to by the manufacturers so this method is the cheapest and safest method to implement NO reduction.

On my previous car I had to replace 4 egr valves and 2 inlet manifolds over the first 65000 miles which led me to blanking the damn thing off, the next 75000 miles have so far been without any issues as well as no more flat spot, better performance and better economy, so go figure what I want to do with my Yeti 2.0 Diesel, just trying to find the best method to do this.

, so go figure what I want to do with my Yeti 2.0 Diesel, just trying to find the best method to do this.

I suspect you will have to be careful not to fall foul of the MOT requirements - no doubt this particular feature is well up on their checklist.

, so go figure what I want to do with my Yeti 2.0 Diesel, just trying to find the best method to do this.

I suspect you will have to be careful not to fall foul of the MOT requirements - no doubt this particular feature is well up on their checklist.

Actually, no, my other car flies through every year since there is no MOT requirement for this yet, technically the European compliance is just until the car leaves the factory.

The MOT does a smoke test on diesels which blanking the egr does not affect.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_740.htm

Fit a 'catch can'.

Well that's good news. In view of that, I'm surprised that a cottage (or more accurately - garage) industry hasn't developed to remove these PITA valves or at least blank them off.

No doubt if it did the Euro Stasi would soon engage in their favourite pastime and impose more legislation!