It wasn't a blown bulb

So im into the 2nd month of ownership.keep getting light failure warning.i wasnt worried too much could just be a simple blown bulb.indeed my left rear light wasnt working.upon inspection, turned out to be something else.

a9e4uge2.jpg

All bulbs are in working order.

gynytudy.jpg

Apparently someone had a go messing with the wiring

ratehusu.jpg

The connector had one missing metal clip.that one supposed to the lowest bulb,which obviously wasnt lit up

ezyjyjeh.jpg

Following the joint wires it goes to this messy bundle...

ytuqyvu6.jpg

...and ends here at this black box

Now im scratching my head trying to figure out what happened.before i made things worse,can somebody help me out?

Sent from my A850 using Tapatalk

In my country,i dont think anyone would ever need any towing accessories.

I'll be glad if i could find out what happened so i kinda have some idea how to fix the rear light. There seems to be only 5 wires coming from the standard loom whereas there are six connecting pins on the bulbs connecting socket.and sure enough its the lowest bulb that doesn't have any power input. On the right side however,six wires from the loom,all bulbs are working.

Ure right V6TDI,it's the reverse sonsor taking input from reverse light.still,where's the wire for the lowest bulb?

The missing connector is for the unused foglight (RHS on a left hand drive car). When I fitted my towbar, I connected the disabled foglight so my car now has two of them - VAG don't seem to realise that cars are sometimes used in markets other than those for which they were originally specified. All you need is a piece of wire - the lamp and its holder and busbar connections are all there.

You don't need relays for a Mk1 Superb - it has non-multiplexed wiring, but VAG stop lamp switches are crappy. I fitted a bypass relay for the stoplamps. Power is easily sourced from behind the 12V boot outlet.

The lamp failure system, on the Superb is crude - it just trips if a minimum threshold of current is reached, as when one lamp in a circuit fails. When you fit the trailer, the lamp fail circuit is effectively disabled, as there are more lamps per circuit.

A buzzer in the boot for the flasher warning satisfies legal requirements. Running cables back to the front of the car to provide dashboard indication is just not worth the effort.

The diesels (with manual transmission) make good towcars.

rotodiesel.

Gathering from whay u said roto,all seems pretty standard apart from the aftermarket reverse sensor.but can't find the cause of why rear left driving light isn't functioning.the bulb filament is still intact.infact,swapped the bulb over to the right side and it lit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What a plot twist.problem persists.a couple of new fuses burnt out as soon as i turn on the light switch.This is beyond what i can handle already