VRS MPG only please

I would be grateful if people were pretty much to restrict posts in this thread to the Fabia VRS, MPG and driving related conditions - please?

I have seen posts on here where people have achieved as much as 50 MPG in a Fabia VRS - I wish I could manage this  Over the past 2,600 miles or so, I have averaged 39.4 MPG with a high of 44 MPG and a low of 36 MPG.

Over a recent 300 miles, of which about 285 were on a single Motorway journey using 97 RON fuel (Sainsbury) I achieved an actual 42 MPG, (43.3 indicated on the MFD) - I stick pretty religiously to the speed limits, always use 'D' on the DSG and virtually never accelerate hard.

I notice that even in this hot weather, I only get the oil near to operating temperature (> 80 degrees C) after about five miles steady driving. This seems to suggest that local shopping trips are always in sub-optimal driving conditions leading to low MPG figures.

on my drive to work : 47-52mpg (not rushing)

on my drive from work : about 37 mpg (going quicker!)

motorway : 40 mpg (70mph)

driving lesson : 45 mpg

track: 11mpg

fast enthusiastic driving: 32mpg

on 97RON fuel

note: if your car is new, it will take about 10k to properly warm up ;)

• Like 2

I would be grateful if people were pretty much to restrict posts in this thread to the Fabia VRS, MPG and driving related conditions - please?

I have seen posts on here where people have achieved as much as 50 MPG in a Fabia VRS - I wish I could manage this  Over the past 2,600 miles or so, I have averaged 39.4 MPG with a high of 44 MPG and a low of 36 MPG.

Over a recent 300 miles, of which about 285 were on a single Motorway journey using 97 RON fuel (Sainsbury) I achieved an actual 42 MPG, (43.3 indicated on the MFD) - I stick pretty religiously to the speed limits, always use 'D' on the DSG and virtually never accelerate hard.

I notice that even in this hot weather, I only get the oil near to operating temperature (> 80 degrees C) after about five miles steady driving. This seems to suggest that local shopping trips are always in sub-optimal driving conditions leading to low MPG figures.

You don't know what you're missing...

• Like 3

Presumably as a driving instructor (which I guess you are?) you are pretty good at smooth driving.  If you don't mind asking are you an IAM driver?  If so, do you think it makes a difference?

ps - any freebie tips, I would love to get a better MPG figure on a regular basis.

On my drive to work I get : 47-52mpg - Still mornings, cool air - Optimum conditions for turbo charged cars.

On my drive home from work : 41-43mpg warmer conditions more traffic/stop start

Long distance motorway : 42 mpg (70mph average)

Fast enthusiastic driving: 32mpg with lows of 28mpg

on 99RON Fuel. Normally Shell V-Power Nitro or Tesco Momentum 99

• Like 1

Presumably as a driving instructor (which I guess you are?) you are pretty good at smooth driving.  If you don't mind asking are you an IAM driver?  If so, do you think it makes a difference?

ps - any freebie tips, I would love to get a better MPG figure on a regular basis.

to get the best mpg, try not to brake... contrary to poular belief, accelerating hard doesn't waste fuel, a petrol engine is most effecient on full throttle (I'm not saying blast everywhere, just dont be afraid of accelerating quickly , it wont harm fuel efficiancy)

basically when you brake , you WASTE the fuel you have used to get up to that speed..... if you try looking further ahead and backing off the gas a while before roundabouts ect and let the car coast in gear (the ECU shuts off all fuel to the engine) you will VASTLY increase your mpg...... you would be suprised how much further you can back off approaching a hazzard, without effecting traffic flow, and it really help mpg....

but then I only ever drive like that on my way to work! lol..

its really suprising how anticipating slowing traffic, or hazzards (junctions standing traffic, roundabouts ect ) helps

• Like 4

On my drive to work I get : 47-52mpg - Still mornings, cool air - Optimum conditions for turbo charged cars.

On my drive home from work : 41-43mpg warmer conditions more traffic/stop start

Long distance motorway : 42 mpg (70mph average)

Fast enthusiastic driving: 32mpg with lows of 28mpg

on 99RON Fuel. Normally Shell V-Power Nitro or Tesco Momentum 99

almost identical to me then! lol...

• Like 1

97 Ron Sainsbury might not get you the mpg that 99 Ron Tesco gets. The engine performs well on the recommended 98 Ron. And as well or better on 99.if Tesco I'd 2.25 a tbank less than she'll then you get more fuel for the same money.

Combined town driving\short journeys\motorway cruising over 2600miles average is 37.8.

Highest achieved on a cruise is high 52s. Normally get around 42 to 47mpg on my 160mile round trip down the m1.

This using 99ron

Yours seems rather low

In just over 3000 miles my MFD says my average is only 30 MPG I really do not understand how that can be true/accurate. I do a fair few short trips but work and back is 14 miles and I average 35 mpg each way if I take it easy on my commute. Most of my trips, I seem to average between 33 up to 40 mpg. So can't understand why is says I only average 30 haha.

Think the most I've had a long trip is average 47 mpg, that was mostly B roads and motorway (2 hour drive) Taking it easy. Always use Tesco 99.

i just did Carlisle and back, 30 miles each way on crappy roads and even with some overtaking (id rather not say the speed as i might get in trouble) i still managed 46 for round trip

as sharky says its all in the foot, a little coasting goes a long long way

oh and i only ever use bp 97

Edited by the mad monk
  • Like 1

Lower than anyone else on this thread so far.  Before anyone asks or suggests it,  it's not a fault with the car, the previous owner was achieving about 10mpg better than I am. I might learn to act my age at some point and drive sedately and fuel efficiently. Hopefully that point is a few years away yet.  I should add that I do drive it in manual a lot of the time.

The only other difference is that the previous owner ran Shell V-Power, I'm normally using Momentum. I have run a couple of tanks of V-Power but didn't notice any significant difference in fuel consumption.

Edited by PhilTheGeek

Stage 1 vRS, ran in hilly yorkshire

Now get a comfy 48mpg on a motorway run, including the really inefficient uphill run to the motorway from my house

About town anything from 30-40mpg depending on whether I pay attention or not.

Inclines make a massive difference, on flat sections of motorway 50+ is easy done.

My best trips were coming from Kent to Essex one afternoon I got around 53mpg, and from Hampshire to Norfolk recently I got the same. Depends what the route is like I think and what kind of roads you use.

Normal everyday driving is around high 30's usually, and my weekly trip to Essex up the M3/M25 usually gets high 40's.

Always use V power.

Yes, IAM qualified but I would suggest a person's general driving style affects the MPG.

IAM tends to focus around safety i.e. anticipation, observation, hazard procedure etc but perhaps take a look at Roadcraft for some insight into smooth drving, safety and progress.

38-42mpg (with 60k on the clock).  Momentum99 almost all of the time.  Usual commute 50 miles, 80% motorway.  Normally get 400 miles to a tank with some left.

As an experiment I drove like Miss Daisy (hardly any silly acceleration, 65-70mph on the motorway) for a tankful or so - got 460 miles, still some left, reported 50mpg, give or take.

Edited by philhoward

to get the best mpg, try not to brake... contrary to poular belief, accelerating hard doesn't waste fuel, a petrol engine is most effecient on full throttle (I'm not saying blast everywhere, just dont be afraid of accelerating quickly , it wont harm fuel efficiancy)

basically when you brake , you WASTE the fuel you have used to get up to that speed..... if you try looking further ahead and backing off the gas a while before roundabouts ect and let the car coast in gear (the ECU shuts off all fuel to the engine) you will VASTLY increase your mpg...... you would be suprised how much further you can back off approaching a hazzard, without effecting traffic flow, and it really help mpg....

but then I only ever drive like that on my way to work! lol..

its really suprising how anticipating slowing traffic, or hazzards (junctions standing traffic, roundabouts ect ) helps

Coasting is one of my favourite things to do , get up to the speed limit exiting a round a bout at usual acceleration , and then Coast down the hill , for the next mile or so, still at 40 mph

Something I have always done and always been taught to do by my parents, as you said yourself , is to look ahead , and anticipate what is happening two - three hundred yards ahead when possible. Coasting to traffic lights that have been on green for a while, chances are they're about to turn red.

Coasting and therefore slowing down whilst that person fannys about getting into their drive.

I realise I am in the Fabia 2. Section... So I won 't post my mpg :D

JRJG

• Like 2

I followed a Toyota Prius for about ten miles yesterday, he/she was going very gently (on electric only?) on twisting countryroads where overtaking was not a safe proposition.  For most of that time I had 48.9 MPG indicated on the MFD - try as I might, I just couldn't get to 49 MPG.

As it happens, I think that I am pretty good about slowing for traffic lights, stationary traffic, etc. It never ceases to amaze me how often this upsets following drivers; some people tailgate, flash, hoot and execute insane overtakes in order to be able to stop a bit earlier - weird??? It is frequently quite difficult and occasionally almost dangerous to drive sensibly, people can be incredibly impatient - Ian Dury summed it up perfectly with the description "Premature Ejaculation Drivers".

I have filled up in the past with both Tesco & Shell 99, I don't have either a Tesco superstore or a Shell petrol station near to me.  I can't say that I have ever noticed any difference but perhaps that is as a result of insufficient data. 97 & 95 RON seem to be available almost everywhere and I do tend to run until the petrol low light comes on and then fill up with 97 RON at the next petrol station.

Thanks for the feedback & tips - I take it that by "Roadcraft" you mean the police driver's handbook available from all good booksellers? I'll get and study a copy.

I followed a Toyota Prius for about ten miles yesterday, he/she was going very gently (on electric only?) on twisting countryroads where overtaking was not a safe proposition.  For most of that time I had 48.9 MPG indicated on the MFD - try as I might, I just couldn't get to 49 MPG.

As it happens, I think that I am pretty good about slowing for traffic lights, stationary traffic, etc. It never ceases to amaze me how often this upsets following drivers; some people tailgate, flash, hoot and execute insane overtakes in order to be able to stop a bit earlier - weird??? It is frequently quite difficult and occasionally almost dangerous to drive sensibly, people can be incredibly impatient - Ian Dury summed it up perfectly with the description "Premature Ejaculation Drivers".

I have filled up in the past with both Tesco & Shell 99, I don't have either a Tesco superstore or a Shell petrol station near to me.  I can't say that I have ever noticed any difference but perhaps that is as a result of insufficient data. 97 & 95 RON seem to be available almost everywhere and I do tend to run until the petrol low light comes on and then fill up with 97 RON at the next petrol station.

Thanks for the feedback & tips - I take it that by "Roadcraft" you mean the police driver's handbook available from all good booksellers? I'll get and study a copy.

Yes, that's the one.

Also, seek out a copy of "Very Advanced Driving" by A.Tom Topper. Not a recent publication but useful nonetheless.

I can seem to get around 43-45 if I really try, might be my route to work though as it involves a bit of traffic which seems to really kill the MPG on these things. 

If I'm not trying to save my fuel I get between 30-35, so as seems to be the on-going message here is that it depends how you drive it :)

Still not bad considering the performance you get out of it, my friends who are driving round in 1.4 old petrol cars (polos, corsas etc.) are saying they get around 35 mpg!

Ah, vRS Fuel consumption thread...

Highest I've seen on mine was 47mpg on maxidot.

Normally 28-32mpg

Maxidot average shows 31mpg atm.

This morning on my way to the office trough hilly, bendy, small villages infested route in traffice I got 38mpg driving like a gran.

As a foot note, If I wanted a frugal car I'd never buy vRS, completely pointless! Chasing mpgs in vRS is like ploughing fields in Ferrari :dull:

Ferrari Tractors are rather good.

With the vRS Twincharger it is nice to know you can do trips at UK @ NSL's and get 45-50 mpg,

& your are capable of doing double the UK NSL's and still can get 50% of that mpg.

• Like 1