VRS MPG only please

Yes, it is great, no doubt about it. This is one of the best things about this car, you get lots under your right foot if you want it but when you don't it gives you very decent mpgs as well. The point I was trying to make was that this is not a mpg king of a car and needs to be driven like what it was designed for, hot hatch way. There's science behind it as well.Twinchargers run rich in general, some richer than others. This generates deposits in the combustion chamber. If not regularly taken to sustained high temps the deposits are not clearing and can cause all sorts of problems, like failed plugs, damaged piston crowns, burnt out valves. When you look at diesel motors they are almost always running super lean AFR's, they are made as master mpg chasers. vRS is for drivers, not accountants!

• Like 1

They do not really run that rich once up to normal operating temperatures,  as the MPG achievable shows and the official Emission figures.

CO2 148 g/km  

& the 3 sister cars with the same engines & gearboxes,

but which are heavier cars on wider tyres are given as 139 g/km

Pretty much what the 1.6 Turbo engines with the same BHP show for Emissions.

I wrote they are running rich after I monitored fuel trims ECU was applying - lambda was always on a rich side, by few % only so all well but trims were almost always in negative, both LTFT and STFT, not to mention nice layer of soot in the exhaust pipes. Mind you, emissions are due to cat being massive and they need the car fuelling system to oscillate between rich and lean to provide the cat with CO2 (rich) and O2 (lean) to instigate catalytic reactions. If it wasn't for that petrols like vRS could run much, much leaner at all times, except hard acceleration, making them very much more frugal. As for the tyres I run both 205's and 215's back to back within a space of few weeks and fuel consumption was the same, no difference. It could have been offset by the fact that 215's were on lightweight racing rims  :devil: .

I'd love to get 1.6 with supercharger and large turbo as well!

I have run 205's of different brands on the same day, same numbers on the sidewalls but different actual sizes side by side,

the Pirellis use more fuel with both running the same pressures.

Thats by GPS measured miles, not the cars mileometer.

& i have run 215's that measured the same size in circumference/total diameter as the smaller size 205's, that have you using less fuel.

It is a Compound & Tread thing.

Just now i have the 205 Pirellis on and will check later what the actual economy is for the last 2,000 miles,

i suspect it will be 2-3 mpg down over the mileage on running the 205 Dunlops.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

I got my car back tonight after it having another driver for the last 1,900 miles. 36.000 miles done now.

It needed 0.3 litres of oil & is showing 31.9 mpg on Average 2 since the the reset when it went away.

(it never uses any when i drive it, and shows a 37 mpg average.)

All Tesco Momentum used this time apart from getting a tank of Morrisions 95 ron down south.

Mrs T has to commute through the centre of Lincoln and is averaging about 33mpg. On a traffic controlled run up the A15 at speeds of between 45 and 55mph we have seen in excess of 50mpg.

When I drive it, though, it seems to drop into the low 20s; no idea why???

• Like 2

Mrs Exige uses the car daily and it's done 2600 miles since new and has averaged 36.2mpg, albeit most are short 5 mile journeys for the school run etc. Currently running it on 95 ron & 97 ron depending where we fill up.

Took a nice drive through the country today. 70 miles down country lanes, steady 50/60 mph with some spirited driving. Averaged 43 mpg for the trip which is very impressive IMO as official figures for the vrs fab are 45mpg combined?

Recently did 200 miles over mixed roads (Motorway, A, B and town & village, no significant hills) always at or below NSL(significantly below on B roads and urban!) except when overtaking. Averaged about 42mpg - never once saw a figure above 50mpg. I am amazed that anyone can get better than 50mpg without VERY gentle, leisurely driving. Would it be reasonable to believe that I would get a better figure as the car's mileage increases?

I take it you mean Indicated Averages on the Maxi Dot.

If you Brim and Vent the Tank and then do a longer Distance what is the actual MPG when you Brim & Vent the tank again?

Real MPG, not indicated.

How many miles has your car done?

What tyres are on your car, ?

they make a difference on a vRS, as much as 3 mpg.

And just Driver of car with passengers and luggage might make an odd MPG difference.

Tyre Pressures reset sometimes sorts that out.

Through Average 50 mph Speed Cameras & 60 mph ones, easily has Twinchargers doing high 50's MPG. IME

That is with 99 ron, and on different Twinchargers, CAVE & CTHE.

They do increase with more milage on, over 8,000 miles in my Experience,

& after the First Oil Change as well if you put in 5w 30 Long Life, or 5 W 40 VW 502

• Like 1

I would never "vent" the tank when filling because overall it makes no difference if you don't have a discount voucher and is unsafe unless you are immediately doing a long run.

I calculate my "true" MPG based on petrol purchased and indicated miles covered, not the MFD - my MPG currently stands at 39.8.

Tyres are standard fitment - Continental something?

I have only done about 3,500 miles - hopefully it will be better after 8k miles.

As it happens I am doing a longish run tomorrow and have just filled up with Tesco 99 so will see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

I would never "vent" the tank when filling because overall it makes no difference if you don't have a discount voucher and is unsafe unless you are immediately doing a long run.

I calculate my "true" MPG based on petrol purchased and indicated miles covered, not the MFD - my MPG currently stands at 39.8.

Tyres are standard fitment - Continental something?

I have only done about 3,500 miles - hopefully it will be better after 8k miles.

As it happens I am doing a longish run tomorrow and have just filled up with Tesco 99 so will see if it makes a difference.

Agree with the your comment on the MFD. I don't think it's 100% accurate. When I switched to Tesco 99, I'd say it took around 2/3 fill ups until I started noticing improvement in mpg. I definitely get around 3/4 mpg more per same journey using 99 than I did with 95. Most days 7 mile mile commute to work, I was getting around 31 mpg with 95. Easy get 35 with 99.

150 miles on Tesco 99 today gave me 41.9 MPG.

I then topped up on the way home with Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded at 140.9p per litre!

A fill-up yesterday with Tesco 99 cost me 134.9p per litre so in future it will be Tesco 99 or someone else's 97 RON.

Overall average for 3,500 miles is 39.9 MPG.

Headed home from my olds today, got caught up in traffic, so no opportunities to give her a boot.  :devil:

Anyway, I stop at a set of lights that take a while to change, so to fill the time I flicked through the trip computer and saw fuel consumption sitting on 4.9L/100km (that's 57 MPG). :no:  It's downhill part of the way certainly, but I wasn't trying to drive sensibly at all.

The readout ended up at 5.4 by the time I got home, but I am impressed with the mix of performance and economy this car can do.  :clap:

Edited by OzFabia

52 MPG, that is amazing!

I take it that you are talking about a petrol 1.4L TSI Fabia VRS?

How many miles has it done?

I agree that the combination of performance and economy are major strengths of this car.

I also like that it is reasonably roomy and pretty inconspicuous.

I am not quite so keen on the noise or the harsh ride.

Overall, a great car.

• Like 1

The last trip in the vRS to chop it in for its replacement was about 200 miles,down the M1 from Chesterfield,around the M25 and up to Croydon.The dash display showed 50.6 mpg which greatly surprised the Honda salesman!!

This is my best last year, standard vRS, cold weather start, country road,

13.5 miles in 20 minutes. Passing Tractors and dithering drivers, not Hypermiling.

Oil not even up to a very high temp once there.

Coming back was not so good, but then i was a bit quicker and it was up hill coming away from the coast.

EDIT.

Actually i see i had better averages than that 1,000 miles later, but at speeds sometimes well above UK NSL's,

but that was on Mainland Europe 102 ron Winter Grade petrol.

Cold Weather, efficient running.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/261562-450-miles-in-a-vrs-45-mpg