VRS MPG only please

How many miles had your car done XK140?

I don't seem able to get anywhere near 50 MPG average and I don't think I drive agressively at all.

Hopefully my MPG will improve when my car has exceeded 8,000 miles

It was at 18k miles....and running on Tesco momentum.

How many miles had your car done XK140?

I don't seem able to get anywhere near 50 MPG average and I don't think I drive agressively at all.

Hopefully my MPG will improve when my car has exceeded 8,000 miles

My engine had about 40,000 miles on it and didn't have to try too hard on my mainly motorway commute to hit 51mpg, just before it got sold.  Granted, up to this point, I'd got about 38mpg for the first 20k, 40-41mpg for the next 10k and the last 10k saw it around 43-44 with just driving normally.  They do get better with age ;)

My engine had about 40,000 miles on it and didn't have to try too hard on my mainly motorway commute to hit 51mpg, just before it got sold.  Granted, up to this point, I'd got about 38mpg for the first 20k, 40-41mpg for the next 10k and the last 10k saw it around 43-44 with just driving normally.  They do get better with age ;)

Or maybe you were driving it less... enthusiastically.  :D

It just proves how much "looser" they get! Worth waiting with tuning ;)

I get far better MPG after tuning than I did stock :)

(also waited until 40k service and out of warranty when I started)

• Like 2

You should, increasing boost make volumetric efficiency better, higher fuel rail pressure will make for better fuel atomisation - all that provided you drive as sensible as before. Put your foot down and you will be burning more fuel :D

Or maybe you were driving it less... enthusiastically.  :D

Nope  B)

Thrashed on the Autobahns just as much, and terrorising the outside lane of the motorways just as often.  Having adjusted to the performance, I could drive quicker along my normal routes, knowing where and when I could drive quicker (especially a nice little hillclimb section in Germany I did every day for 6 months).

Got bored of using the paddles though - learnt how to regulate gearchanges with throttle position ;)

• Like 2

Normal driving I always use D. Paddles when some fun needed accelerating straight after braking as DSG in D useless in this respect. I read it is due to brake sensor delay not allowing DSG to engagethe instant your foot leaves the brake and mashes the loud pedal. Hilly bits are the best!

i just did Carlisle and back, 30 miles each way on crappy roads and even with some overtaking (id rather not say the speed as i might get in trouble) i still managed 46 for round trip

as sharky says its all in the foot, a little coasting goes a long long way

oh and i only ever use bp 97

Oh yes.

Combine coasting with vented overfills and you are talking well over 500 miles per tank.

Ran the Fabia VRS 2 to 12 miles on zero miles showing, no sign of fuel starvation and I expect it would do 20 or 30 easy if pushed. 

I gather the latest 7 speeds VAG  DSGs (Dry and wet) have coast function biult in so presuambly pops both clutches and re-engages when thottle pressed or maybe sports mode engaged.  Is a little disconcerting I gather from users but 90 mpg from the 1.6D matched to the box is hard to argue with. 

Hopefully in all the Fabia models ASAP.

Car has done just over 70K miles.  Averages anything from 50 mpg (150 mile journeys mixture A roads and motorways) to 25 mpg on short journeys and using pedal as on/off switch.

Edited by lol-lol

I know I have only had the car for 4 days but I can say on the trips to work it is sitting about the 53mpg mark in steady driving and about 43mpg if I put my foot down on certain areas. Overall it is miles better than the 1.2 corsa I had before and the VXR I had before that.

Overall THUMBS UP

The engine (and gearbox) is absolutely outstanding for fuel consumption ie 53 mpg on the extra urban cycle and obtainable if you drive in that mode but then why buy a VRS and drive like that much of the time?

The Twin Charge engine one the International Engine of the Year for the 4th or is it 5th Year running in the 1-1.4 litre catergory.

I think we were hoping that the Fabia 3 would be lighter and more aerodynamic and they would tweak the twin charge for another 10 hp or so but sadly not to be.  It could have dropped several CO2 groups but it looks like the twincharge was an exercise in technical challenge and not the way developement will go sadly as it such a nice engine though does get heat saturated and the box gets confused sometimes.

Is it just my local Tescos or is Momentum getting one or two pence a ltter more than diesel now?  Think about mixing 95 octane, just half a fill, now and then to send them a message to keep the price of Momentum low.  Do not want them doing a Shell and charging the earth to fund Ferrari.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

Yes Momentum 99 is costing 2-3 pence more than diesel at present. £1.33.9  - £1.34.9 

(we will be funding Jason Plato!!)

No way would i mix 95 & 99 except when travelling where there is no Super Unleaded available & i just put in as much as is required until i know i can get 99 ron.

Then i have a 10 litre of 99 or 102 ron in the boot to use before having to put in 95 Regular Unleaded.

(eg. North of Fort William, north of Inverness etc when away for a good few days of driving Enjoyment. and more than a tank full or 2 is required.)

I no longer use Sainsburys Super Unleaded 97 ron or others 97 ron Super Unleaded like Esso or BP Ultimate in a Twincharger, 

Edited by goneoffSKi

I know I have only had the car for 4 days but I can say on the trips to work it is sitting about the 53mpg mark in steady driving and about 43mpg if I put my foot down on certain areas. Overall it is miles better than the 1.2 corsa I had before and the VXR I had before that.

Overall THUMBS UP

Agree about the car in geneal. However, posts like this are getting depressing.

What mileage has your car done?

PLEASE say it wasn't NEW a week ago!

I bought the car last week and it had done 33k. It has had a service every 5k according to the 6 stamps in the book. I think the previous owner really looked after the car and feels like it just rolled off the production line.

Yes Momentum 99 is costing 2-3 pence more than diesel at present. £1.33.9  - £1.34.9 

(we will be funding Jason Plato!!)

No way would i mix 95 & 99 except when travelling where there is no Super Unleaded available & i just put in as much as is required until i know i can get 99 ron.

Then i have a 10 litre of 99 or 102 ron in the boot to use before having to put in 95 Regular Unleaded.

(eg. North of Fort William, north of Inverness etc when away for a good few days of driving Enjoyment. and more than a tank full or 2 is required.)

I no longer use Sainsburys Super Unleaded 97 ron or others 97 ron Super Unleaded like Esso or BP Ultimate in a Twincharger, 

I just hate paying over the odds and I do not directly understand why high octane is suddenly more than diesel though I gather the US has started exporting crude and Libya's and Iraq's low sulphur petrol there has been supply concerns off course. 

I should not be so concerned as a have a fuel card and therefore only effectively pay 40% of the price of th fuel anyways but it is just the prrincipal of the thing and mixing 25 litres of 95 with the 25 litres of 99 Octane should give me 97 Octane whichis not far short of the 98 Octane required but then it did feel a little off edge and my fuel consumption probably suffered a percent or two s the engine retarded the ignition via the knock sensor so fals economy but then I hate giving Tescos extra dosh and hope to help them decide to drop the price of Momentum as they see less of it is being used. Just my little protest.

Edited by lol-lol

Price of any fuel has naught to do how much of it sells. Cusgomers have big fat zaro influence on the prices

Hurray Tesco fuel price came down by 2p a litre yesterday.

Is a worry though all this sabre rattling with Russia.

Cannot be good for fuel prices and house prices.  House prices already starting to collapse in London and that will ripple out to the rest of the country over the next months and as autumn and winter approaches energy costs are hardly going to go down but the US as an exporter of oil now will be happy about that.

How much would I save with a mark 3 Octy 1.6D doing 90 mpg (but could I stand the pedestrian performance/acceleration)?

Edited by lol-lol

Asda Diesel since Tuesday to be no more than £1.29.7  a litre

& Unleaded 95 £1.26.9  

(in Dundee it was already £1.26.9 at 2 Asda) the Lowest since 2011.

But Tesco Momentum 99 is never more than 5 pence a litre more than Tesco Unleaded 95 at the same station,

Tesco has lowered the Unleaded, so Momentum Price is down as well.

Edited by goneoffSKi

we are about 80% tax on fuel altogether Oz...... they even add VAT onto the fuel tax! :o

Compound taxation but then VAT is a mugs tax, do not buy cars any more, lease them.

Get VAT registered if you can any offset the VAT, most fuel used is VAT reclaimed hence the disparity of the taxation as ther few get cruxified so companies benefit and polute.

Make Excise Duty 70p or so a litre and reduce VAT on fuel to 5% !   (Fuel would be 5 to 10 pence cheaper and companies would be forced to drive down their fuel bills and invest in jobs and technology).

Edited by lol-lol