VRS MPG only please

The Polo GTI 1.4 TSI, Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI , Audi A1 185ps, Seat Ibiza FR 150ps DSG with the CAVE then Revised engines 

all were given a 139g /km,  

Yet the CTHE Fabia was not even on narrower tyres and lighter cars.

(so was still one VED band higher from 2010-2015)

So the Polo GTI 1.8TSI DSG is given the same 139g / km

(the Manual lower) 

The Clio Trophy 220 is given lower 138g /km due to having stop-start.  

So figures from the Manufacturers tests submitted and nothing to do with real world, 

and if you are switching Stop - Start off, then where are the emissions really lower?

Twincharge engine still came 2nd in the International Engine of the Year 1-1.4 litre class only losing out to the, now the norm, three cylinder PSA engine...... (even beat the ACT engine which is bloody good)

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/results.php?id=12

Now discontinued, at 180 - 185 ps.

Gone, finished , dead parrot. Failed, Great Economy and performance, failures at 132-136 kw cost VW too much.

So now moved on, ACT / COD,  or 1.8TSI to get the same or lower emissions as Euro 6.

Now looking at doing Electric Superchargers,  1.0 TSI with Electric Superchargers after they try the public as road testers 

on the first 1.0 TSI going in VW's.

Ford are far ahead on decent power from 1.0 3 cylinder petrol engines.

as Suzuki were years ago with 600 cc Turbos.

(why the Volkswagen Group buy into the likes of Suzuki, to get access to their future technology.)

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

Now discontinued, at 180 - 185 ps.

Gone, finished , dead parrot. Failed, Great Economy and performance, failures at 132-136 kw cost VW too much.

So now moved on, ACT / COD,  or 1.8TSI to get the same or lower emissions as Euro 6.

Now looking at doing Electric Superchargers,  1.0 TSI with Electric Superchargers after they try the public as road testers 

on the first 1.0 TSI going in VW's.

Ford are far ahead on decent power from 1.0 3 cylinder petrol engines.

as Suzuki were years ago with 600 cc Turbos.

(why the Volkswagen Group buy into the likes of Suzuki, to get access to their future technology.)

Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha know huge amounts of building really high performance engines, including turbos. Suzuki XN85 mc !  CX650,  GPZ750 turbo, XJ650 turbo as well.

Absolutely loved the 1.8 TSI I had, L&K. Nicer than any of the 3 VRSs I had surprisingly.  

Huge shame Skoda still not tlaking about releasing a Mk 3 VRS.  192 hp 1.8 TSI in the new lighter and better handling chasis but that is not where Skoda see the Skoda Fabia brand, for that reason I am out. Hello Renault RS.   

What lighter and better handling chassis?

Have you driven one?

The All new one feels better because it has wider tyres.

Lighter as much as 60 kg.   Compared to which ones?

The 2015 Polo GTI has different suspension on the same platform as a 2014.

The 2015 /16 FL Ibiza will be the same chassis, maybe improved suspension.

The All New 3rd Generation Fabia would need Multi Link Suspension to improve it,

and taking the price of the All New Fabias with 110 ps and the tried and tested suspension fitted now

they would be more expensive than a Polo GTI 1.8TSI.

44.3 mpg yesterday from Midlands to Scotland. Pretty much all of the journey 60/70mph. Very impressed with that. About 7 hours of driving.

I was getting that easily between Wellingborough and Market Rasen (as I was finding my way and on unfamiliar roads I kept my speed down) - however, my mpg dipped when I reached Scotch Corner and could smell the heather.

I was getting that easily between Wellingborough and Market Rasen (as I was finding my way and on unfamiliar roads I kept my speed down) - however, my mpg dipped when I reached Scotch Corner and could smell the heather.

Your going up hill too, well looks that way on the map.  Take the Low Road instead of the High Road, air is thicker.

My car is currently just over 3,000 miles. I use it probably once or twice a week, when I do my average MPG is probably around 32-35 MPG, don't really drive it hard as I use it not that often I like to enjoy the drive more than thrash it! I use Shell V-Power Nitro unleaded all the time, it's never had anything else in the tank! Struggling to see people getting 50MPG+ and if they are I want to know what there doing lol.

Using Tesco Momentum 99,  having done more than 3,000 miles from new and changing the oil from the factory fill.

Sit at about 2,700 rpm when doing 70 mph, and you can get near 50 mpg,

sit at around 2,400 rpm when doing a constant lower speed and you can better 50 miles to a gallon used.

The first 5 miles of a trip even in Summer you might only get 25-30 mpg.

Newer engines might only get low to mid 40's until run in and they have an oil change.

The Average over a long time might be 32 - 42 ish, its a location location location thing, 

tyres fitted, oil used, weather, load carried and how often you use the higher revs.

• 2 weeks later...

Journey of 303 miles, A roads & (mostly) Motorway, four adults.

MFD showed 48.4 MPG at an average speed of 60 MPH.

No speeding, usual number of 50 MPH average speed limits.

Saturday traffic so not too many lorries but quite a few caravans.

29.47 litres to give a calculated (true) figure of 46.75 MPG.

The MFD exaggerates!

• Like 1

Long term average about 37mpg, mostly 10 mile trips. Can hit 50mpg on a motorway at 60mph, but it's very boring to do so.

Interested in the electric supercharger thing mentioned above. The twincharger is great in it's late form, undoubtedly expensive blah blah but who cares, it's technically interesting and good to use.

• Like 1

Although it probably is exaggerated, according to the MFD I got 58.8mpg average in the 15miles from my house to the bottom of the M3 where it joins in the M25. Once I'd finished my journey, another 60 miles later it had dropped to about 48mpg. Some of the M3 is a 50mph zone which is why the fuel economy was so good, but I was still pleased with the 48mpg when I got to my destination as I can't say I did 70 the whole way on the m25.

Stage 1 APR & DENSO plugs, 99 ron and that is what they are good for when you are at around 2,700 rpm and below.

205+ bhp & a DSG in a not very heavy car, wunderba.

Although it probably is exaggerated, according to the MFD I got 58.8mpg average in the 15miles from my house to the bottom of the M3 where it joins in the M25. Once I'd finished my journey, another 60 miles later it had dropped to about 48mpg. Some of the M3 is a 50mph zone which is why the fuel economy was so good, but I was still pleased with the 48mpg when I got to my destination as I can't say I did 70 the whole way on the m25.

Never ever seen anywhere near 58 MPG.

Overall (true) figure over about 16k miles is 39.9 MPG.

Definite improvement since my first service.

ps - I know all about the tedious M3/M25 road widening.

Never ever seen anywhere near 58 MPG.

Overall (true) figure over about 16k miles is 39.9 MPG.

Definite improvement since my first service.

ps - I know all about the tedious M3/M25 road widening.

Yeah that figure was just from my house in Fleet to the bottom of the M3, boring as you said but it means good MPG. I do now consistently get a good 50mpg for that part of the journey each time now unless the weather conditions are particularly awful. It was warm weather with no wind so must have been good conditions for it. I'm pretty sure the fuel economy has improved since a remap (if I haven't got my foot down of course)

Driving along the M3 to J4a where I get off at night is mind numbingly boring! Often end up taking other routes to stop me falling asleep.

The fuel economy has also improved as the car does more miles too. 47000 miles and having a good service tomorrow too.

54 MPG is the SUK extra urban figure and actually achievable and even surpassable though difficult to know how much fuel is actually in the car when you can put in over 50 litre on some fill-ups if you accidentally or deliberately press the expansion tank link valve in the neck of the filler!  

Never seen 54 MPG either.

As I posted earlier, on a 300 mile journey at an average speed of 60 MPH I achieved a true figure of about 47 MPG.

Manufacturer's and Government figures are fanciful.

My overall figure based on litres purchased and miles covered over about 16,000 miles is 39.9 MPG - I believe that!

• Like 1

The figure I actually believe in, rather than the onboard computer etc, was actually doig over 600 miles onn a fankful, iw from Worcester to Glasgow and back again, a distance of well over 600 miles as shown on AA/RAC routeplanner.  The onboard computer did still show 15 miles of fuel left so there was a little left in the tank.  So I worked it out that the VRS used approximately 50 litres to do 620 miles ie around 56 grenune MPG  so Exttra Urban figure is not opnly achievable but actually able to be exceeded.   Techinques such as coasting and some drafting help exceed manfuacturers figures which does not use such tecnhiques.  Mind you I can get 10 MPG better than this in the Dacia, but then it only has half the engine output!  

I have just done 120 miles this morning and had an Indicted 53 mpg. 70 mph average speed cameras. But stage 1 like milly. Sitting waiting for the car to get its MOT. 5 years old since it left the factory and 53,000 miles, never raced or rallied.

Pass, as expected. Warning though. Struggled to pass Emissions Test. Properly hot, just be aware. And it has not had a de-cat....,

Edited by goneoffSKi