2007 Superb 2.7 TDi V6

Bit of info here:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/skoda/superb/saloon-2002/26137/

Which suggests it's in K tax bracket which is £285 per year.

It's the 5 speed tiptronic gearbox.

There are some common problems with the injector pump.

MPG won't be great.

Phil

Ok so not a good buy then.

Don't believe everything you read.  Mine's one of the best cars I've ever owned.  Everyone who's been in it hasn't failed to be impressed.  I haven't got a clue what I'd replace it with, not that I want to.

48mpg on a run, but 32mpg in pretty much urban driving. Comfortable, spacious and a really rather nice place to be.

Gaz

• Like 2

I agree, don't believe everything you read about the V6 TDi.  I had a Mk1 V6 TDi for 6 years and ~80k miles and I was sorry to part ex it for my Mk2 170 CR 4x4 TDi.  The Mk1 with the V6 in my experience is a very nice car indeed, smooth, torquey and comfortable.  The Mk1's suffer from a few design faults but they are easily attended to and don't relate to the V6 engine.  The engine to avoid in a Mk1 is the 2.0 PD TDi.  My V6 used to do a genuine 48 to 50 mpg on the motorway and at 70 to 80 mph the V6 was very smooth and quiet.  I'd have no hesitation advising you to go for one, I still miss mine.

Vrs,

I concur with Gaz, DieselV6 and FredBloggs on the subject - the 2.5 V6 is a gem of a car to drive, and if you have to spend a lot of time in your car as I do (500 miles a week to get to work and back), I can't think of a nicer place to be.  Mine has given me faultless running since buying it in June last year from a fellow Briskodian, and the only things I've had to replace so far are a couple of front wheel bearings and two sets of front tyres (not unreaonable given that the car has just hit 100k miles, of which 25k are mine).  If you keep it regularly serviced on a 10k fixed regime using OEM filters and good quality oil of the right spec, and if you attend to the usual Superb "quirks" (pollen filter mod, plenum chamber bungs, fragile rear parking sensors etc, all of which are common to all MK 1 Superbs), there's no reason why the car shouldn't give you reliable, relatively economical and pleasurable motoring for many years to come.

One final little foible to mention: if you end up going for a Tiptronic, be warned that the gear lever knob can be a bit fragile (the release button is made of cheap plastic - another example of "bean counters" having too much clout these days).  If the button breaks (which they often do, by all accounts - mine went a couple of weeks ago), the replacement part isn't cheap, but the fitting procedure isn't the nightmare that some people would have you believe.  I was going to do a bit of a "walk through" on here if there was enough interest, to add to Supurbia's existing guide in the Technical section. 

There are many people who will tell you that there are plenty of other cars out there which have better economy, performance and green credentials - I daresay there are, but I would challenge anyone to find one of those cars for the sort of money that you can get a Superb for these days.  I'm certainly going to hang on to my pocket rocket-ship for the foreseeable future - just need to find a job which is closer to home, so I that I stop racking up so many miles on it...

J.

Hearing all you guys praise the V6 _almost_ makes me want one... ;)

I'd love to sit in one some day to see what I'm missing.  I'll be the first to admit the 1.9 is a bit of a tractor - seems much better though on "premium" fuel and with a bit of TLC in the way of good oil and regular filter changes.

Chaps,

I tried to post another message last night, but when I clicked on the "post" button, it didn't send it and said that it was "saving" it somewhere instead (god only knows where).

So, in a nutshell:

Vrs: If the car you're looking at is in good condition/has a decent service history/checks out okay on HPI etc etc, then I would give it some serious consideration.  The road tax, although higher on these, is a one-off charge per year, and the (slightly) higher fuel consumption is more than offset by the smoothness and comfort that the car offers.  If you do a good mix of motorway and secondary road mileage, you probably won't notice the difference.  What you will definitely get from the car is a huge amount of driving pleasure, particularly when you put your foot down and get propelled forward in a very distinguished and poised manner.

Jimbof: If you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'll gladly give you a run round the block in mine.  You'll be very familiar with the aesthetics of the car (I see you have an Edition 100 as well), but I would imagine the dynamics will be rather different ! Funnily enough, when I set out to buy a Superb, I had my mind set on a 1.9 PD 130 manual, but when I went to see mine for the first time it was in such good condition that I threw caution to the wind and decided to buy it on the same day - I'm very glad I did.

J.

• Like 1

I have got a 56 plate 2.5 tdi auto and very happy with it. I had a 06 Honda Accord diesel previously that did 173000 miles with just the vsa module problem (£250 repair)  and a new clutch/flywheel (£1500) but legroom in the back was tight for kids.  I commute 30 miles each way up the a5 Towcester to Hinckley, the Honda did 47mpg and the Skoda is doing about 44mpg. The Skoda is a great car with acres of room also the V6  lump has loads of grunt and sounds pretty nice from inside.  The only things I miss from the Honda are the sat nav (Skoda one is rubbish) and cornering on rails handling.  I believe the BDG engine is free of the pump problems affecting earlier models.  Definitely worth having a look at and far better value than an Audi A6 for example.