Yeti 140 hp Tdi remapping with Superchips map

Aje

I´ts `09 with 6 speed manual and 4x4.

Any toughts about Superchips products? I know its a bulk product but i`ll get it for quite reasonable price. It should be something around 170 hp and 390 Nm after mapping.

I have remapped previously two TDI:s, first one was trusted 90 hp -> 115 hp on Bora and second one was 130 hp -> 160 hp on 4Motion Golf V. Improvment on them was huge, could  I except similar with common rail engine?

Cheers

Antti

The ecu will need to be removed, opened and the encryption turned off before it can be remapped. All the Yeti ecu were locked, it's a ball-ache but the results are worthwhile.

The ecu will need to be removed, opened and the encryption turned off before it can be remapped. All the Yeti ecu were locked, it's a ball-ache but the results are worthwhile.

I wasn't sure quite what the unlocking involved, but Shark put this up up on Facebook whilst mine was in (though it might have been from the Superb 170 being done at the same time).

"ECU from a 2.0TDI CR170 being unlocked on the bench, utilising the specific EDC17C46 probe"

10389295_10152529648520281_2668171339292

Second that here :thumbup:

Seen one fitted and can say they do make a fair difference  :D

Apparently these work well:

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/vehicle-skoda_yeti_2.0-tdi-140ps-cr-stage-2-(crd-t)

And a lot less hassle than drilling the ECU apart....

You mean to say, a simple plug n play for my Yeti 103(140)TDI and quick removal too?

I wouldn't hold your breath.  If it's anything like the plug-in box that I tried on mine - which came with all the same promises of more power (possibly true, but unlikely to set your trousers on fire with exhilaration) and reduced fuel consumption (definitely untrue) - then it's a poor solution.  There's a thread elsewhere on here which explains how these things work - IIRC they fiddle the readings from one of the sensors in order to trick the ECU into increasing fuelling.  It sounds like a very crude approach, and personal experience says that the overall benefit is pretty questionable, especially given the increased fuel consumption.

The one good thing about them is that they are easy to de-install, and there seems to be a ready supply of suckers eager customers on eBay willing to pay surprisingly good money for a used one.

• Like 2

Good tuning boxes sit between the ecu and Common Rail and boost controller and change the rate that fuel is injected and boost valve remains closed. Cheap boxes are a resistor in a box which alters the temp sensor readings to overfuel the car.

A good tuning box is almost as good as decent remap, but the fuel flow that the ecu uses to calculate mpg goes haywire as usually more fuel is being injected than the ecu realises. A crap remap does exactly what the cheap tuning box does.

The choice is do you get the ecu unlocked and potentially re locked by the dealer or do you use a good tuning box?

Hope this helps.

I've driven a CR170 Yeti with the DTUK CRD-T installed and it was actually very impressive. I can't comment on the fuel consumption figures but the throttle response was excellent and generally the performance was akin to being one gear lower for that road speed (if that makes sense). Far stronger acceleration from lower down the rev range.

The CRD-T unit picks up on both fuel rail pressure and boost pressure so far more advanced from the earlier single channel unit.

I haven't driven an ECU-remapped CR170 Yeti but have 50k miles experience on standard CR170 Yetis and 40k on an ECU remapped Mk 1 Fabia vRS to compare the CRD-T unit to. 

Personally, I think comments good or bad should on a particular product be based on personal experience of that actual product but that may just be me.... ;)  

• Like 1

I was looking quite seriously at the CRD-T box, having seen some positive reviews about it, though mainly on models other than the Yeti. In the end it was partly down to insurance - a 30% increase in power (the CRD-T can take the 170 to 225BHP) was harder to find insurers for - and partly down to knowing (and met) people from here who have had a Shark remap.

I think Richard (BossFox) has tried both a chip and a remap on his 170, and from what I remember reading prefers the remap (don't remember whose - not Shark, but similar headline figures around the 205HP/420nm mark).

Skoda Insurance apparently don't like this kind of modification but for the Yeti I drove, LV worked out cheaper with the declared mod than Skoda Insurance was without.

As I understand it, the CRD-T box has 4 different maps to choose from and each one is tuneable from basic to +/- 0, 10, 20 and 30%. The one I drove had the standard Map 4 +0% map. Running Shell V Power Nitro there was no smoke out of the back even when accelerating hard.

I don't know how much it means these days, but the CRD-T box is German by birth and is TuV approved as all mods have to be (unless the rules have changed) in Germany.

• Like 1

TUV is an interesting subject in itself as I have seen ads flogging junk quoting their 'research' going back over more decades than I wish to remember.

I'd be looking for better cruising economy also.

I'd like to know how they get better economy with the 170 over the 140.

To answer my own ?

DTUK say the diff is simply in the tune and that the ONLY diff btw engines is also the state of tune.

If that IS the case, I should be able to get 170 improved economy from my 140 shouldn't I?

The 170 has a different turbo to the 140,  but saying that way back (if I remember rightly) a 110 was tuned  to produce around 180+, :o  

The 170 has a different turbo to the 140,  but saying that way back (if I remember rightly) a 110 was tuned  to produce around 180+, :o

Maybe DTUK regard a diff turbo as a tuning variation also.

I wasn't sure quite what the unlocking involved, but Shark put this up up on Facebook whilst mine was in (though it might have been from the Superb 170 being done at the same time).

"ECU from a 2.0TDI CR170 being unlocked on the bench, utilising the specific EDC17C46 probe"

10389295_10152529648520281_2668171339292

I think "drilling" is a little OTT, yes the ECU has to be removed but no drills (or ECUs) were harmed in the making of this picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Running Shell V Power Nitro there was no smoke out of the back even when accelerating hard.

With a DPF fitted, you won't see any smoke as whatever is being produced will be caught by the filter.

The engine could be running quite smokily yet appear clean - presumably this will just clog the DPF faster and result in more frequent active regens.

I´ts `09 with 6 speed manual and 4x4.

Any toughts about Superchips products? I know its a bulk product but i`ll get it for quite reasonable price. It should be something around 170 hp and 390 Nm after mapping.

I have remapped previously two TDI:s, first one was trusted 90 hp -> 115 hp on Bora and second one was 130 hp -> 160 hp on 4Motion Golf V. Improvment on them was huge, could  I except similar with common rail engine?

Cheers

Antti

I've had a couple of SuperChips remaps now but always preferred the competitions maps if i'm honest. They were quicker than standard but just didn't seem to contain the same amount of refinement and overall improvements that other maps bought to the party. I had a few issues with one map in particular and the aftersales support was good however. :)

Thanks or replays and ideas, however the ecu has now Superchips map.

Unlocking looks like in the picture above, those "nails" in it are just pins to attach on right places when unlockin is done. No drilling.

At the workshop where the job was done they do have a dynobench, but it is only for RWD or FRW cars so Yeti wasn`t dyno tested this time.

After mapping car feels almost like stock under 2000 rpm, when getting closer 2500 rpm the power starts to rise and it pulls clearly to 4000 rpm. I haven`t hit the redline, but I think it`ll pull just up to there. With stock map engine kind of died at around 3000 rpm.

So far map feels pretty good, not too much power at low end is good for clutch and tranny and with higher revs engine feels much much more living. Overall engine runs like softer, I think I`ve noticed this with other remapped engines too.

Result could be better with a custom map, or with some other bulk map, but I`m satisfied with this (so far).

I did log some boost pressure and injection ammounts with VCDS before mapping, I`ll log them with new map too.

Edited by Aje

Got my DTUK economy biased 'box' today with what looks like a multi pronged blanking plug.

No idea what it's for or why the prongs, unless they're just to help keep it on for some sort of protection.

It fits on the 'box' when the main loom is removed from it, but no idea why it's needed as, if you're removing it, the whole assembly would be together.

It was loose in the carton, not attached to anything.