BXE engine - to buy or not to buy?

Further to the Wikipedia quote I posted earlier, here is the data from ELSAWIN. Interesting to note that the BLS version does have a DPF. Is this the unit they use in the 4x4 version?

attachicon.gifScreenshot (17).png

Mike

From what I can gather the BLS engined version with DPF was only ever sold in Scandinavia. The UK-spec 1.9 4x4 used a different engine without a DPF.

AFAIK no UK-spec 1.9 TDi Octavia ever had a DPF, although some 1.9 Golfs and A3s did.

Have you read about the ABS control module faults?

Honest john website:

Drab interior. Early TDI PD engines noisy. Plastic timing belt pulleys can fail early on 1.6-litre engines. Suffers from ABS/ESP problem. Air con problems common. 1.8 and 2.0 TSI engines can become oil burners.

Mine is looking at an £820 bill for an abs control module......no more Skodas for me!

It does worry me slightly I have to admit.

Having said that I then have two options.

Carry on as I am enjoying the car and sticking to the recommended interval and hope nothing goes wrong or sell the car.

I like the car too much to sell.

I'll apply the old Yorkshire thinking of "It'll be reet!".

A note on the oil usage. Ours occasionally uses some oil when loaded up with camping gear and driving around Germany. This is to be expected though with high engine loads. Max speed on the autobahn and climbing over mountain passes etc.

Day to day use or just normal motorway runs it uses absolutely none at all.

Phil

Have you read about the ABS control module faults?

That's not limited to Skoda or the BXE, that was a common problem across the whole VAG range, particularly around that sort of age (1K,1Z,8P, think Passat B6 suffered too). Depending on the fault there's a repair kit available which should cost a lot less than £800.

• 2 months later...

The repair kit cannot be used to repair every unit. It depends on the fault.

That's not limited to Skoda or the BXE, that was a common problem across the whole VAG range, particularly around that sort of age (1K,1Z,8P, think Passat B6 suffered too). Depending on the fault there's a repair kit available which should cost a lot less than £800.

The repair kit can't be used on every unit. It depends on the fault.

My issue isn't really with the fault, it's the way that Skoda / VAG couldn't care less.

The last time I visited my mechanic mate, he was rebuilding 1.9 BXE engine from a VW Passat which had thrown a conrod. It had done less than 50k miles. He had bought it cheaply from a main dealer and tells me the engine was still running despite what he was faced with when he stripped it down. Have a look at the attached photo's you'll be amazed it was still running!

post-77874-0-75437900-1427582950_thumb.jpg

post-77874-0-60922700-1427582968_thumb.jpg

post-77874-0-95400200-1427582989_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi,

Old topic I know.

Had a 2008 1.9TDi Octavia as a company car. at 4 years old and 110,000 I bought it as my private family car.

While as a company car, it was on a variable schedule, roughly every 18,000 miles.

After I bought it, the car was serviced by a Nissan dealer who, unbeknown to me at the time, used the incorrect oil.

6 months later, it threw a conrod!

Despite proof in the service record that the incorrect grade of oil was used, there was little point pursuing it as it would have cost more to try and prove the oil caused the failure on a >100,000 mile engine. Got some money back for it though as it was an Elegance , which I speced up with Xenons, Cream Heated Leather, seats, TPM, OEM Bluetooth (fitted as a kit, not available as an option in 2008), Columbus Sat Nav and DVD Players in the Headrests. it was a £20K car in 2008.

Now I have a 57 plate 1.9 TDi Octavia Estate with a BXE engine. This one has done 170,000, so far, so good!

• 1 month later...

Bit late, I know but:

BXE engine is solid in my 2008 Octy estate.  Oil change (VW507 Mannol) every 10k.  Timing belt 60k or six years for me (maybe 5 years if I'm flush).  DMF rattles a bit, but has for the last 25k - will replace with SMF if it goes.  Plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off.  Completed 50k with me and 128 overall.  Previous Mk1 did 158k before leaving the family.  Love these cars!!