Octavia Mk2 - Engines, DPFs, Cambelts, Oils, Brakes and Servicing Info

I also let analyse a premium oil I used to use in my Fabia HR I.

Liqui Moly Diesel High Tech 5W40 - after almost 5000km of racing style driving is as NEW.

Lab guys said to watch out viscosity - even premium oils have lower viscosity than manufacturers claim!

It is more 5W35 ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Great info!!! Makes you wonder why on earth manufacturers are not capable of such compiling info?! It would make our life so much easier unless...well, I leave it up to your own interpretation.

I would also like to add for comment the following info:

I have initially used the 5w-30 Platinum long life supplied by TPS, but found it to cause valve ticking issues in hot whether climate while the consumption of oil and file seems higher?

I am now using the Triple QX 5w-40 oil, 505.01 spec, and have used it for over 2 years now. I am covering about 50.000 miles a year and do an oil and filter change every 10.000miles, and I have to say that it was an excellent choice, engine runs smooth in all whether conditions, morning start takes only a half turn, while the oil consumption is about 1L every change. Was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

• 1 month later...

New member's first post, on this thread because my question arises from Owl's very helpful 'Octavia Mk2 Engine Info' document. I want to buy a diesel Octavia Mk2 1.9 PD TDI without a DPF. I can see that this depends on the car's engine code. Please can somebody explain what the engine codes signify, and how I can find out the code of a particular car I am interested in - or alternatively if there is some other reliable way of knowing whether the car was made with a DPF?

New member's first post, on this thread because my question arises from Owl's very helpful 'Octavia Mk2 Engine Info' document. I want to buy a diesel Octavia Mk2 1.9 PD TDI without a DPF. I can see that this depends on the car's engine code. Please can somebody explain what the engine codes signify, and how I can find out the code of a particular car I am interested in - or alternatively if there is some other reliable way of knowing whether the car was made with a DPF?

Are you in the UK? None of the 1.9 engines in the Uk Octavia were fitted with a dpf

• Like 1

I am. Thanks a lot for this definitive response. I guess your reply may also explain the engine codes - code BLS on Owl's document must refer to engines sold elsewhere.

I am. Thanks a lot for this definitive response. I guess your reply may also explain the engine codes - code BLS on Owl's document must refer to engines sold elsewhere.

Dpf's were fitted to 1.9 engines in other vag makes (VW & Audi?) but not Skoda.

As per Anddenton's post I don't believe the 1.9 PD TDI was ever fitted with a DPF on the Octavia Mk2 in the UK market.

A way to check for a specific car is by looking up the list of VAG PR codes you'll find on the sticker on the front of the service book and under the carpet in the boot (top left of spare wheel well).

0GG - EU4 emission standard with no DPF

7GG - EU4 emission standard fitted with DPF

Here's a list of all the VAG PR codes:

http://vag-codes.info/files/options/vag-option-codes.pdf

These are useful lookup tools:

http://igorweb.org/equidec/

http://vag-codes.info

• Like 1

Just to add some useful info here;

The attached document in the first post shows milage intervals for cambelt changes but as we all know it should be distance OR time dependant, whichever comes first (as material degrades with time regardless of use).

I have a 2011 Octavia vRS TDI CR which is coming up for 4 years old but only on 38k miles. 

I thought it may be due a belt change at 4 years but unable to find a definitive answer for the time interval between cambelt changes, I contacted Skoda Customer services.

The very nice man there informed me that in September 2010 Skoda changed the design of the belt fitted to these engines and were therefore able to extend the recommended interval from 4 years to 5 years.

I'm not sure if this applies to any other engines (it probably does) but it certainly applies to the 170bhp 2.0 TDI CR as used in the Octavia vRS.

On euro car parts website when it comes to ordering service parts like filters etc. which brands are good and which brands to avoid? I can see crossland brand is the cheap overall however why are they cheaper than mann or bosch?

On euro car parts website when it comes to ordering service parts like filters etc. which brands are good and which brands to avoid? I can see crossland brand is the cheap overall however why are they cheaper than mann or bosch?

I've never used Crossland but Mann are OEM suppliers to VW (as are Hengst and Mahle).   The price is usually midway between the cheapest & the most expensive.  Cheapest they've possibly cut corners somewhere.  Most expensive they are probably making too much profit.

This might explain the differences but it is marketing / propaganda and he's comparing to the absolute worst filters they can find.

https://youtu.be/rKwmk1RYHpk

I've never used Crossland but Mann are OEM suppliers to VW (as are Hengst and Mahle).   The price is usually midway between the cheapest & the most expensive.  Cheapest they've possibly cut corners somewhere.  Most expensive they are probably making too much profit.

This might explain the differences but it is marketing / propaganda and he's comparing to the absolute worst filters they can find.

https://youtu.be/rKwmk1RYHpk

Many thanks, understood.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

I am trying to determine the size of the brake pads that would have been factory fitted when I bought my Octavia 1.9TDi new. (I bought it in 2008). I had the front brake pads replaced last year and there was a slight vibration when braking. I was advised that I would need to allow a period of time to allow them to "settle". Now when I brake, the steering wheel shakes and the brake pedal starts to push against my foot. I had to get the back brake pads & discs replaced recently and the mechanic advised me that the vibrations were a result of the replacement front pads being bigger than what was originally fitted, resulting in the pads wearing unevenly and rubbing of the "rusty" ring on the pads!?

Is there any way I can determine what size should be on my car without removing them & measuring them? I looked at buying my pads myself & I was told that there are actually two different sizes available.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. I feel like the dealer who replaced the pads that have resulted in the vibrations is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. He told me there was no chance of having pads that were too big for the discs as they used original parts. (IMO you can use original parts but that doesn't mean that they couldn't be too big!)

Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

I am trying to determine the size of the brake pads that would have been factory fitted when I bought my Octavia 1.9TDi new. (I bought it in 2008). I had the front brake pads replaced last year and there was a slight vibration when braking. I was advised that I would need to allow a period of time to allow them to "settle". Now when I brake, the steering wheel shakes and the brake pedal starts to push against my foot. I had to get the back brake pads & discs replaced recently and the mechanic advised me that the vibrations were a result of the replacement front pads being bigger than what was originally fitted, resulting in the pads wearing unevenly and rubbing of the "rusty" ring on the pads!?

Given what you've written, I suggest you find a new garage. I strongly suspect when your disks were fitted they didn't clean the hubs properly meaning they were mounted slightly off centre. This would result in a slight vibration at first which would progress over time to what you have now. See cause 1 in the following document for more info.

http://www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/tech_01_judder.pdf

With regards the brakes fitted to your car, there were only two different setups fitted for the front brakes on the 1.9 PD TDI Octavia mk2 and they both use different size and shape pads which I very much doubt will fit each other's setup. If you look at your calipers, if they have FS-III stamped in casting they are the 280mm setup, otherwise they are the FN3 setup which uses 288mm discs. You'll need new discs and pads for your front brakes to fix your issue.

• Like 2

Given what you've written, I suggest you find a new garage. I strongly suspect when your disks were fitted they didn't clean the hubs properly meaning they were mounted slightly off centre. This would result in a slight vibration at first which would progress over time to what you have now. See cause 1 in the following document for more info.

http://www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/tech_01_judder.pdf

With regards the brakes fitted to your car, there were only two different setups fitted for the front brakes on the 1.9 PD TDI Octavia mk2 and they both use different size and shape pads which I very much doubt will fit each other's setup. If you look at your calipers, if they have FS-III stamped in casting they are the 280mm setup, otherwise they are the FN3 setup which uses 288mm discs. You'll need new discs and pads for your front brakes to fix your issue.

Check the PR codes on the sticker in the boot or service book. On the ECP website it will give the code for each size, see which code matches the sticker.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

thank you both for your replies, makes for interested reading. I'll check this all out asap. It's my own fault for not actioning it earlier. They car does mostly motorway driving (less braking than short trips in towns/cities) but only clocked 20,000km in 15months so it's not huge mileage. The main dealer didn't want to know about my woes. Only too happy to charge me full whack. I thought if I went back to them they might do some sort of deal. Unfortunately not so I told him not to touch them, I'd do it elsewhere! They didn't seem too bothered

Ok, so I took off the two front wheels today. Upon driving my car a neighbour suggested that the discs may be buckled/warped. While I had both wheels jacked up I rotated the wheels. The right wheel rotates but not without making regular contact regularly. The left is similar but not as severe. I took some photos, please see the following link. Any thoughts? http://www.briskoda.net/forums/gallery/album/1669-octavia-front-brake-pads-discs/

Ok, so I took off the two front wheels today. Upon driving my car a neighbour suggested that the discs may be buckled/warped. While I had both wheels jacked up I rotated the wheels. The right wheel rotates but not without making regular contact regularly. The left is similar but not as severe. I took some photos, please see the following link. Any thoughts? http://www.briskoda.net/forums/gallery/album/1669-octavia-front-brake-pads-discs/

I think the link is wrong. Goes to a thread about speakers

Sent from my Galaxy S5

oh, crap!

I clicked on it again just there & it brought me to the album with the pics. What's the usual way of attaching/uploading pics? (Sorry, I'm new to the forum & how it works!)

I'll repost the link, just in case. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/gallery/album/1669-octavia-front-brake-pads-discs/

I posted them in the Gallery under the album "Octavia front brake pads & discs"

Ok, so I took off the two front wheels today. Upon driving my car a neighbour suggested that the discs may be buckled/warped. While I had both wheels jacked up I rotated the wheels. The right wheel rotates but not without making regular contact regularly. The left is similar but not as severe. I took some photos, please see the following link. Any thoughts? http://www.briskoda.net/forums/gallery/album/1669-octavia-front-brake-pads-discs/

I clearly misread your original post, I thought I'd read you'd had the discs and pads replaced, but it was only the pads, so my original suspicion as to cause was likely wrong as I doubt they messed with removing the discs when changing the pads. Note to self - read things twice before replying late at night when tired...

However, looking at the photos your discs are badly corroded which is probably resulting in the judder you are experiencing. I'd advise you to have both the discs and pads changed, and when this is done have the calipers thoroughly cleaned to remove corrosion including cleaning and lubing the slide pins. You should also get the calipers checked to ensure they aren't siezed / partially seizing.

FYI you have the 280mm brakes.

Thank you Owl,

I appreciate the feedback. I'm definitely getting the discs & pads replaced. I'm just really annoyed with the main dealer as the issue never went away from the time I had the work done originally. I'm refusing to allow the main dealer to do it. Charging me through the nose for it.

Thanks also for confirming the pad size. That's a big help!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the pads & discs replaced. Feels so strange not to be experiencing the vibrations when braking. Got them done much cheaper than the main dealer wanted to charge me but this along with the back ones last month are bills that I would have preferred to avoid.

I've put some pics up on the following link (hope it works) to show their condition. As can be seen, there was still plenty of kms left in them which is frustrating!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/gallery/album/1675-damaged-octavia-discs-pads/

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone one here has used it knows somebody who has used a professional DPF cleaning company. Have seen them mentioned before but I am curious to know if they are as good as they say. On their website it says they remove between 96-100% of soot and ash. If they are that effective then that would be a better, cheaper solution than removing it if and when it starts causing problems?

Hi guys,

first post on the forum.  I own an Octavia VRS 58 plate petrol and love it to bits.  It's a big step up from my old Ford Focus 1.8 petrol!  However I have a problem with the car, which Skoda are not willing to help with in terms of goodwill.  The problem is with the traction control system and comes up as the G201 fault.  Please see the response I got from Skoda below... 

Dear Mr Hughes

Further to our recent telephone conversation in relation to the above case, I wish to confirm our decision. I would also like to
apologise for the delay in my response.

I appreciate that your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a Škoda and any failure is most
disappointing. However, there is always a possibility that a component may fail during its lifetime. It is for this reason all
new Škoda’s are supplied with a comprehensive three year or 60,000 miles warranty, whichever arrives first.

Outside of the Manufacturer’s Warranty, we look to contribute towards repair costs wherever possible. When assessing the level
of support, we would take into account the vehicle’s age, mileage and network service history.

I have discussed the case with Michael Jones, Service Advisor at Lightcliffe Škoda, North Wales. I understand that the confirmed
fault is related to the G201 brake sensor issue. Having reviewed the matter, I am unable to offer goodwill towards the repair.
This is because there are a number of vehicles of a specific chassis range affected by this issue. Your vehicle does not fall
within these parameters. For these reasons, whilst sympathising that this repair has proved necessary, we are unable to
contribute on this occasion.

I appreciate that this is not the outcome you had anticipated, but trust that you understand the reasoning behind our decision.
Thank you for contacting Škoda UK.

Kind regards

Maryum Butt
Customer Relations Manager
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel: +44 (0)333 0037 504
[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

...I sent this reply to the email to VW in hopes of getting a different response...

Hello,

I'm a proud owner of Skoda Octavia VRS.  I bought the car privately back in April 2014 from a private seller.  I've moved over to the VAG range from Ford as I believe in the build quality and reliability is far superior.

I have full Skoda history with the exception of one indy service and I got my cam belt changed by Skoda Lightcliffe in Llandudno this year.  I'm palling of having all my future work done by this garage as I have been impressed with the service thus far.

However my car currently has the G201 fault and after searching forums and such I discovered that many VAG car owners were getting the problem fixed for free.  I was disappointed when Skoda told me I could not get this done for free.  My ref with Skoda on this matter is SD-2015/04-002803.

My car is under 60,000k and a part such as this should not be failing, especially with VAG builds.  Unfortunately this is a problem that has occurred quite often and I cannot except my car does not fall under the same category and is simply wear and tear.  Further more the service handbook does not say a part for the G201 fault needs to be changed every 60,000k.  It costs more than a cam belt change so it would be in there if it did.

Please look into my case as I would greatly appreciate this work to be done for free as many of your other VAG customers have had.

Regards,

Gary

...this is the reply I got...

Dear Mr Hughes

Further to your recent email, your case was reviewed by Michaela Radovanovic, my line manager.

Michaela has supported the original decision and it will not be changed. We are unable to offer a contribution towards the
repair. This is because the vehicle has an incomplete service history within our approved network and its age is outside our
parameters for goodwill.

I appreciate that this is not the outcome you were hoping for and that you are disappointed by the outcome. If you wish to
discuss this case further with Michaela, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0333 0037 504 between 9:30am to 5:30pm, Monday
to Friday.

Kind regards

Maryum Butt
Customer Relations Manager
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel: +44 (0)333 0037 504
[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

...she must cover both Skoda and VW customer services!  Do you guys know where I stand with this?  Is it going to be a case of footing the bill to get it fixed or have I got a case to take it further?  Surely the traction control system should not fail so early in a cars life!  Especially as I never abuse the car and neither did the old man who owned it before me.  I have one private mechanic do a full service on the car not long after I bought it but the timing belt was replaced by a Skoda approved dealership early this year so I think they are being unfair with the whole service history part of it.  The car also has less than 60k on the clock.

Edited by garylee79