Ok, so the title is a little extreme, but, my lovely 2011 vRS just died with the most haunting whining sound that's emanating from either the Turbo or Supercharger.

Slight loss of power, but the noise! It's as if it was crying.... :sweat:  

Seriously though:

Lots of 'on-power' noise (Low ish revs, didn't want to see if it cut out at higher revs to eliminate the Supercharger as I thought it would go pop!)

Bought the car 1 month ago from an independent garage in Sheffield, two warranties currently in place. SUK and the independent dealer.

Skoda Mansfield (Rainworth) have had the car since last Thursday evening with no word on cause/resolution ect...

It had a 'new' engine back in Jan this year @ 44k miles after the previous owner complained of running rough and the EML was lit.

Tech diagnosed pot 4 to be the fault and Skoda technical authorised a replacement. Now on 51k

Weird note on the service report:- "Had to remove the sub frame to get the engine out BAID-52079940". they also did the breather pipe fix at the same time.  :nerd:

Should be interesting to see how this pans out....

Other issues: Tick-over when cold very rough with vibration, better but not gone when warm.

DSG seems a bit dim witted when calling for lots of power - seems to select too low a gear causing very high revs/ - Better driven in manual!!

Ohh, and the gear stick pulls off real easy - Fix is to remove the plastic surround for the top to push out the selector button allowing it to re-engage with the loop on the top of shaft...

Are these cars always such a hard ride? Mines very hard and rattly?

Pete 

When are you expecting the dealer feedback or contact with Skoda UK Tech department via raising case with Customer Services to get your case No. allocated.?

Hi,

I'm not raising a case with Skoda UK just yet - Letting the dealer handle it for now. 

Had an update this afternoon:

Minor issues reports are done: Heated seat Mod, gear stick coming off and the centre are rest hinge broken. Done under warranty.

But no substantial news on the main engine problem - All they would say is that some parts have been ordered!  (I pressed but they would not say what and why which seems a little strange :x )

They did say that the problem my car has is one they haven't seen before and that Skoda UK Technical are involved.  :peek:

Also - the DSG oil change issue was not listed for my car as either having been done or required! Was this something that all engine's of the 2011 vintage required? He did admit that it was a silent item work and not to talk about it!!!  :angel:

Will update more when I have something - Told prob no more info till Wednesday. (I suspect another new engine possibly...)

On another note: The service man did mention that the Mk3 Fabia wont have a vRS brother to play with, but that it's likely there will be a Rapid vRS..... Hearsay of course 

:notme:

Hi,

I'm not raising a case with Skoda UK just yet - Letting the dealer handle it for now. 

Had an update this afternoon:

Minor issues reports are done: Heated seat Mod, gear stick coming off and the centre are rest hinge broken. Done under warranty.

But no substantial news on the main engine problem - All they would say is that some parts have been ordered!  (I pressed but they would not say what and why which seems a little strange :x )

They did say that the problem my car has is one they haven't seen before and that Skoda UK Technical are involved.  :peek:

Also - the DSG oil change issue was not listed for my car as either having been done or required! Was this something that all engine's of the 2011 vintage required? He did admit that it was a silent item work and not to talk about it!!!  :angel:

Will update more when I have something - Told prob no more info till Wednesday. (I suspect another new engine possibly...)

On another note: The service man did mention that the Mk3 Fabia wont have a vRS brother to play with, but that it's likely there will be a Rapid vRS..... Hearsay of course 

:notme:

I find it rather peculiar, the fact they will not tell you what they are doing with YOUR PROPERTY!

First of all they are not allowed to do anything without you agreeing to them doing it. How can you agree if you do not know what they are doing?

What is this steaming pile of cobblers about cloak and dagger approach of "keeping things quiet"???

Are they doing you some sort of favour here? 

Mind boggles...

• Like 1

UPDATE time:

Got a call from the Skoda Service Manager this afternoon, and the below e-mail.

"As per our conversation i can confirm after carrying out a full guided fault finding on your car the vehicle data has flagged a TD1 code which indicates the engine ECU has been re-mapped

Regards

Matt Boultby

Service Manager"

The actual phone conversation was a little more animated as you can imagine. But, the upshot is that although they 'think' the turbo has blown, they will not touch the car any more as the warranty is void because of this 'indicated' modification.

Later I got this in an e-mail:

"I’ve just spoken to our technicians again and the date 9th January is when the first of the two guided fault findings would have been carried out

When two is carried out it then flags up the TD1 mapping information

The first guided would have been done during your engine repair visit (Previous owner) and the second by us today hence why it’s now showing for us to view

It only views when 2 fault findings have been carried out

Hope this helps

Matt Boultby

Service Manager"

For clarity, I bought the car from a reputable independent dealer a little over a month ago. There was no indication from the dealer that any problems existed.

The car had a replacement engine fitted back in January (Service print out dated 10-01-14) one day after the note above.

A later conversation on the phone with the service manager revealed that the 'mapping' would have been done prior to the engine works in January although he was unable to determine when exactly.

So; Skoda wont touch it, the only option I have is to go back to the dealer where I bought it from and get a refund. I'm saying refund because even if they fixed the current problem, there is no way I can see that Skoda will ever touch this car again under any warranty now that the news is out that it's been mapped. I had planned to extend the warranty once the initial 3 year period was done, but I guess that won't be possible unless the entire engine, gearbox and ECU are changed for known factory original parts...

I've e-mailed the selling dealer with the issues.... they are going to get back to me in the morning with a 'plan'...

:rain:

I have bumped the Engine Replacement thread.  

see post # 19 , #24,  a member bought a car that had been remapped.

The thing is, Independent Dealers & Skoda Dealers do not check the ECU before reselling cars, or Reset things to Factory Setting on the ECU

XDS, Steering & Brake Assist settings etc.

No idea where you stand, first it is with the Dealer that sold you the car.

But if the Remap was before the Engine was replaced last & when the Dealership put the latest Skoda Update on the ECU,

then the Remap is not Relevant, it was on another Engine, & the new engine was on the Skoda Update on the ECU.

The car got a replacement engine under warranty, 

they should try to get their money back from the Previous Owner, or the Dealership that Applied for the Warranty Replacement Engine.

Since January, if the car has the Engine & ECU untouched, then where is the issue since January.

Skoda need to talk to the Dealership that did the work and were paid for it being done.

I have bumped the Engine Replacement thread.  

see post #24,  a member bought a car that had been remapped.

The thing is, Independent Dealers & Skoda Dealers do not check the ECU before reselling cars, or Reset things to Factory Setting on the ECU

XDS, Steering & Brake Assist settings etc.

No idea where you stand, first it is with the Dealer that sold you the car.

But if the Remap was before the Engine was replaced last & when the Dealership put the latest Skoda Update on the ECU,

then the Remap is not Relevant, it was on another Engine, & the new engine was on the Skoda Update on the ECU.

The car got a replacement engine under warranty, 

they should try to get their money back from the Previous Owner, or the Dealership that Applied for the Warranty Replacement Engine.

Since January, if the car has the Engine & ECU untouched, then where is the issue since January.

Skoda need to talk to the Dealership that did the work and were paid for it being done.

I agree with you on the current liability issue, it really is with the dealer that sold me the car just over a month ago. Either way I believe I'm covered... but...

Does any dealer installed update to the ECU wipe out any previous mappings?

I'm curious because the Skoda service manager was adamant that the illegal mapping would have happened BEFORE the engine was changed in Jan by the other dealer.

How would he know that? and how can he be so sure?  :nerd:

Also, if it had been mapped prior to a new engine being fitted in Jan, why would the dealer that did the engine not have already spotted it and called it in?

I'm the car's second owner; I'm really tempted to call the first owner to ask him!

Thanks to the service record print out given to me when I bought the car, I have his name, address and numbers ect....)  :devil:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-had-an-engine-replaced

See post # 19

The Cars are supposed to go on the computer to read the ECU when being Serviced.

It used to be at the Major Inspection Service, 24 months /20,000 miles, & the Latest Software Updates Applied.

Skoda changed that on the Fixed Servicing Schedule about 2012, on their website to be at Minor & Major Services.

'Software Updates & Enhancements',  is what it says are done.

Then a Replacement Engine should have the Latest ECU Update Installed.

So the REVO or APR Stage 1 say,  is not on the ECU, and the Engine Management is what the Dealer Installed.

That is what you have been driving on.

Unless it was remapped again between January & you buying it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If a ECU was opened to do a Remap,

the Dealer Fitting the Replacement engine should have been checking for that.

• Like 1

Makes for an interesting read that document. Essentially, if there is no evidence that the ECU has been physically tampered with then a re-map is not likely.

I am currently veering towards the possibility that the dealer is having me on with this!!!

Is it possible that he's just been stuffed by Skoda UK on a warranty job that he's now not been paid for...?

P

You need to Deal with Skoda UK,  

Find out what they are saying,  they are quick enough in other cases to have the ECU forensically Examined.

If they do not, you might have to have it done or the Dealer that sold it to you might need to get it.

Get Trading Standards Advice if Skoda take a stance that leaves you stuck.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

(There were Dealerships  that used to Remap Cars because they were REVO Dealers, 

There were Salespeople that said they Could have the Car Remapped & it would not invalidate the Manufacturers Warranty.

That was a while back. So not relevant to your car and a replacement engine done in 2014,

Just unless someone that had a car Mapped got a Replacement engine then went back to their Tuner & had the Remap Installed again.)

What colour is this car. Body, Roof, Wheels.

& How many previous Keepers?

Some here might know it or have owned it.

You probably do not want to put the reg number up, but maybe post part of it, if you feel you can.

EDIT<  

Sorry i forgot the pictures were there, last night when posting.

Let's sum up the facts.

1. Car is 2011 vRS still under warranty

2. Car had engine replacement on 10th Jan 2014

3. OP bougt the car begining of June 2014

4. Car has failed but Skoda Dealer refuses to carry out warranty work claiming the car was mapped. They do not know when but indicating 9th Jan 2014. They do not state categorically the car was remapped by third parties or when.

So if I understand this correctly they refuse the warranty works because during engine replacement ECU was remapped, which as I understand is a standard Skoda procedure? WTF?

To me this is the picture I can see reading this thread. Why would a dealer refuse this lucrative job? As suggested, due to being in the same boat before and it going south?

Mine had a new map put on whilst engine was replaced. Dont know if that helps any. And im with sharkrider. Gid knows how the turbo went pop. Unless of course it was remapped, and by a kid in his bedroom with a laptop

Re The Turbo.

There are cars that have required a new Turbo & new Cats, & Manifolds.  

There can be Workshops that do not do a good job of Fitting new Engines,

There are ones that caused DSG Issues & even Steering Failure.

There are several Owners that will testify under oath that their car had more than one engine failure,

the Original & then the replacement.

Swearing Under Oath would be something i would like to see Senior Skoda Executives doing, while giving Evidence in Court 

of the Engines they Produced, when they knew there were Serious Failures,

& when they decided to continue playing Owners along that it was not common that engines would Fail.

Also when the Panic started that had them revising engines and Engine Management.

??

So which Garage did the Engine Installation in January, the one that the car is in at now, 

or if at another Workshop,

was it part of the same group & possibly the same Technician or Master Technician overseeing the Engine change?

SKODA SHOULD HAVE BEEN REBUYING FAULTY CARS, SCRAPING/ BREAKING THEM.

TAKING THEM OUT OF THE MOTOR TRADE ONCE THEY WERE OUT OF THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER WARRANTY.

IN THE UK FOR SKODA, IT WOULD ONLY HAVE BEEN A FEW HUNDRED vRS CAVE ENGINE CARS,

OUT OF THE 1,800 THEY SOLD.

THEN A SIMILAR NUMBER IN TOTAL OF POLO GTI, IBIZA CUPRA & A1 FOR THOSE MANUFACTURERS WITH THE VW ENGINE FITTED.

INSTEAD THEY WASTE OWNERS TIME & MONEY ON CARS THAT WERE £16,000 or LESS, NOW WORTH AROUND HALF THAT OR LESS

& MANY OF THESE HAVE HAD £4,000 Plus, SPENT ON THEM ONCE OR TWICE FITTING NEW ENGINES.

• Like 1

EG

Post #2,  Turbo Replaced.

http://briskoda.co.uk/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-had-an-engine-replaced

I have been re-reading some posts here to see if anyone joined to ask about a car like the OP's late 2013, early 2014

Around page 26-27 on.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/252759-fabia-vrs-oil-fix/page-26

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/177587-official-fabia-ii-vrs-register

Hi all,

Minor update; The garage where I bought it from have agreed to pay for the Turbo to be repaired/replaced by Skoda and also the re-map is being removed (Skoda service manager recommended someone), again paid for by the selling garage.

Skoda will carry out their multipoint vehicle check and then re-instate the manufacturers warranty. I'll then be buying the extending warranty for the next two years.

Thanks for all the advise on here. 

Some of the car's details in case it's a known one!

One owner before me (Leeds is the address)

Reg is: YM11 AO_ (Getting a private plate once it's fixed)

Black with black roof and Black pack - Also black wheels and rear tint

Factory nav, Cruise, Full Climate, Cruise, Parking sensors, heated seats, centre arm rest, Headlight washers.

The only things missing fro the extra's list is the sunroof and DAB radio module. 

Compared to most examples I saw when looking, it seemed quite well spec'ed so I'm keen to keep it if it's practical.

post-119073-0-82240900-1404729751_thumb.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yespt4ebl3ued7d/AACZi6DZkTbPrjFAH8FnmcFTa

Result! Well done mate and indeed, well specced example. Is it me or it looks like it has lowering springs installed?

Cheers!

Not sure, but given the dealer thinks it's been mapped, anything is possible - including the mileage not being exactly accurate.... :(

I wonder if the Skoda Technicians checked to see if the Noise Deadening has been removed from the Supercharger.

Does it have a Sports Cat Fitted, or a Cat back exhaust upgrade, or is all standard with it?

They are possibly just relying on trial and error to see what is what.

The car looks very nice,

but i think i would be contacting the Original Registered Keeper to ask what the story is with the car,

just what was done with it.

Maybe find out if it was a Skoda Technician or Employee that owned it.

george

Doesn't really add up this remapped story. If the dealer is saying it was remapped in January that doesn't make any sense to me. I can't imagine the previous owner would have been crazy enough to have had an engine replaced and then gone straight out and had it mapped!