LOL,

I near spilt my coffee there.

You would be surprised just how many have !!

& how many have the symptoms of failing engines, High oil consumption, have misfires, or had EPC or Exhaust Control lights show,

have not got them running right, checked plugs and coils and done the basics,

& still want to have them Remapped for more performance or fit Tuning boxes etc.

Then wonder why they break.

• Like 2

LOL,

I near spilt my coffee there.

You would be surprised just how many have !!

& how many have the symptoms of failing engines, High oil consumption, have misfires, or had EPC or Exhaust Control lights show,

have not got them running right, checked plugs and coils and done the basics,

& still want to have them Remapped for more performance or fit Tuning boxes etc.

Then wonder why they break.

Haha yeah it's just plain bonkers to me!

Map engine...... Engines fails...... Engine replaced...... I know what's next... Oh yessss let's get myself back down the remap shop ASAP lol! Pure stupidity in my view but hey what do I know! Don't know why I am surprised tbh tho :-)

• Like 1

First rule of engine tuning - NEVER tune a new motor! If you want performance and reliability buy 3-5engine and tune it then. Well run in, all moving surfaces well mated and friction rsistances in running gear worked out of the motor, issues had time to come out. Worst thing one can do is to buy a new car and start engine mods. IMHO 30k miles is absolute minimum!

That mapping story does not add up indeed!

If OP could take photos of the exhaust underneath the car along its lenght it would be good as George suggested. You may pop up to the garage when it is on a ramp and had few snaps.

• Like 2

I'm the car's second owner; I'm really tempted to call the first owner to ask him!

Thanks to the service record print out given to me when I bought the car, I have his name, address and numbers ect....)  :devil:

I you have the previous owners number I'd 100% be ringing them up to enquire about the cars history and this remapping story :-)

• Like 2

Doesn't really add up this remapped story. If the dealer is saying it was remapped in January that doesn't make any sense to me. I can't imagine the previous owner would have been crazy enough to have had an engine replaced and then gone straight out and had it mapped!

Hi, the Skoda people are saying that the mapping was done BEFORE the new engine went in, they can't say how long before though.

Pete

Haha yeah it's just plain bonkers to me!

Map engine...... Engines fails...... Engine replaced...... I know what's next... Oh yessss let's get myself back down the remap shop ASAP lol! Pure stupidity in my view but hey what do I know! Don't know why I am surprised tbh tho :-)

I don't know the story, but the only info is that the mapping was done before the new engine - No one know's how long before! Except of course the previous owner.

I you have the previous owners number I'd 100% be ringing them up to enquire about the cars history and this remapping story :-)

Think I will - Nothing to lose!!!

He has nothing to lose either I guess, unless there is other stuff he won't want me digging around with!!

I wonder if the Skoda Technicians checked to see if the Noise Deadening has been removed from the Supercharger.

Does it have a Sports Cat Fitted, or a Cat back exhaust upgrade, or is all standard with it?

They are possibly just relying on trial and error to see what is what.

The car looks very nice,

but i think i would be contacting the Original Registered Keeper to ask what the story is with the car,

just what was done with it.

Maybe find out if it was a Skoda Technician or Employee that owned it.

george

Hi George,

You raise some good questions, unfortunately I don't know the answers to any of them. The car is currently with Rainworth Skoda in Mansifeld; no doubt in a million bits!!

Would be interesting to see if it was a Skoda emp that owned it. The steering wheel is quite shinny suggesting that the 50k on the clock might not be true, but the service docs ect all show a clear progression through the mileage!! Do the steering wheels on these car wear quickly? Cheap leather perhaps???

I will ask the service manager the questions you raise above, see if he's still talking to me that is.... :(

The Skoda service manager was adamant that the illegal mapping would have happened BEFORE the engine was changed in Jan by the other dealer.

How would he know that? and how can he be so sure?  :nerd:

Also, if it had been mapped prior to a new engine being fitted in Jan, why would the dealer that did the engine not have already spotted it and called it in?

Just for clarity...  :nerd:

One thing is, there is no Map to remove other than what they have installed on it now. 

(unless they suspect otherwise.)

Well, like

unless it is a APR Map on the ECU with Switchable Map, then that may be an issue.

Car left in 'Service / Valet Mode.'   'Security Lockout' set.

So does your Cruise Control work as Cruise Control, or has it now got another function.

I drove a car i borrowed & could not understand why the CC was disabled, 

then discovered why.

Wunderbah.

'Programme Switching'.  'Security Lockout'.

http://goapr.co.uk/products/ecu_upgrade_14tsi_twin.html

http://goapr.co.uk

So does your Cruise Control work as Cruise Control, or has it now got another function.

Hi, only used the Cruise when rolling and it seemed to function fine. Never tried to push the buttons on it when standing!!

With the APR Stage 1 you can have Cruise Control.

If you pay for the Option of the Lock Out, & Switchable Map,

then you need the Cruise Stalk.

• Like 1

The car does have cruise, the controls of which are on the end of the left stalk.

But, I've never suspected that the car was mapped and equally never bothered pressing the buttons without the car actually moving..

Guess I might not get the chance to try this out assuming the mapping/upgrade or whatever was done is removed. 

Hi, the Skoda people are saying that the mapping was done BEFORE the new engine went in, they can't say how long before though.

Pete

Ahhh ok Pete I see now cheers for that. Presumably they swapped the engine but left the old ECU with the map which has now damaged the new engine. Hope you get it sorted buddy! :-)

I am interested in the Outcome of the Turbo being replaced, 

& what they find on examination of the one removed,  or hopefully an Examination of it by someone with the Technical knowledge.

The Dealership will no doubt have had the Spark Plugs out and checked that all is present & correct and all tips are still on them.

I am interested in the Outcome of the Turbo being replaced, 

& what they find on examination of the one removed,  or hopefully an Examination of it by someone with the Technical knowledge.

The Dealership will no doubt have had the Spark Plugs out and checked that all is present & correct and all tips are still on them.

Not sure I'll get much info from the dealer, but will ask. Might ask for the failed Turbo (Bet they say it's an exchange and will be returned to Skoda for refurbishing ect...)

P

They HAVE to give you all the old parts removed from the car and replaced with new/reconditioned. It doesn't matter what words are leaving their mouths, this is your property.

Remap story still does not add up at all!!

First they said theu did not know when it eas remapped, now suddenly with earth shattering conviction they KNOW it was remapped before the engine swap. OK, let's keep that story line for the moment.

We all know that whwn dealers get the car for servicing and there's a new soft available they re-flash the ECU with new maps. That wipes any remap. Fact.

When emgine is changed this is part of the procedure as well so all remaps are wiped. This is how it should be done to avoid any possibility that problems were caused by ECU. All remaps are wiped. So we have a car with new engine and new ECU soft. What happened before is irrelevant. Its like they have a new car, or say drive train, which then fails.

What is even more interesting is the fact that when the engine was changed nobody notice d that alleged remap!!! It just doesn't add up I am affraid...

• Like 2

Update time.

The car is still with the dealers being 'fixed'.

The selling garage have agreed to the turbo replacement costs and also the cost of the works to remove the ECU Mapping.

All being well, I should get the car back on Tuesday.

Spoke with the service manager today and apparently they need to do 40 miles in the car before the ECU will settle down after the map-removal process....

Once fixed, and the extra miles are done, they will do the multipoint check on the rest of the car and will only then be able to offer the 2 year extended warranty!!!  

the plot thickens!!

• Like 3

So, they told you you will be getting nought since you mapped the car at the very beginning. Now they are replacing everything that needs replacing, reflashing ECU at no cost to you as well as giving you two years warranty.

Is it me or something is seriously not gelling here?

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the results you got, well done!

• Like 1

So, they told you you will be getting nought since you mapped the car at the very beginning. Now they are replacing everything that needs replacing, reflashing ECU at no cost to you as well as giving you two years warranty.

For clarity:  :blush:

I bought the car from an independent (non Skoda) dealer in Sheffield (they gave me 3 months of their warranty).  

The car is currently at my local Skoda dealer in Mansfield (Manufactures warranty runs out at the end of the month (July 14)

~The Sheffield garage has agreed to pay Skoda costs for the turbo replacement and the mapping removal; It was the the re-mapping that essentially voided the Skoda warranty on the engine and gearbox, and because of the mapping issue, Skoda UK would not repair the Turbo under the Skoda warranty directly, so the repair work needed paying for by someone, either from me, more fortunately in my case, from the garage that sold me the car one month earlier! Remember that 3 month sellers warranty.

The Skoda manufacturers extended warranty can only be offered when a vehicle is in a mechanically sound condition, or at least without evidence of significant modification as my case, 'mapping'. Proof that the car is eligible will be provided by the multipoint check the Skoda dealer is doing once the repair works have been completed,

BUT, I will have to pay for the extended two year warranty! not either of the garages.  :yes: Which is fair enough.

I insisted to the Sheffield seller that I must retain the option to extend the manufacturers warranty beyond the 3 years that expires at the end of this month, essentially because of the long term problems this car seems to have; It was either that, or my money back!

So in theory at least; I get the car I thought I was buying in it's factory (OEM) original condition, (Save for the new engine in Jan, and the new Turbo being fitted now), It's manufacturers warranty will be intact till the end of the month, AND I have the option to extend the warranty cover for a further two years, albeit at my cost.

The down side is the loss of access to the vehicle for what will be nearly 4 weeks by the time it's repaired; and, the stress of trying to get it sorted.

It's a good job I really like the car!!  :wub:

Edited by dougle03
  • Like 2

Just sent a message to the service manager at Skoda instructing him that I require the failed Turbo returning to me.

Anyone want to strip it down to understand what went wrong with it...?  :nerd: